+ Reply to Thread

Remote Desktop Mobile

This might sound rather stupid, but what is the use of the remote desktop mobile feature that just came with the new 6.1 update.

Although I did a search, I could not find anything that was helpful, so if someone could bribng me up to speed on what the use is, and how to use it, I would definately be grateful.

Thanks

Tater

It is the same thing as "Remote Desktop Connection" on your Desktop. It is a Terminal Services Client that allows you to remotely connect to another computer. (Windows 2000/2003/2008 Server, Windows 2000/XP Pro/Vista)

I tried it with WM6 when I first got my i760 and found the i760's small screen size too limiting. Does anyone really use Remote Desktop on their i760? If so, for what?
    -Jay
    The Fine Print:Nothing in this post (or any of my other posts) is intended to constitute legal advice or the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. For purposes of this forum, I'm just another nerd like you. :-)

I use it to manage my servers in a pinch. It is one of the main reasons I use Windows Mobile.

Richard

Same here - I have Bluefire VPN to connect to a Cisco VPN, and then I can remote in to the servers.
    What I also use is Citrix - then use RDP client which allows scaling (zooming out to view the whole desktop) it just takes longer...

I was very upset when I discovered that Remote Desktop Mobile was removed from the i760 WM 6.0. In fact if I had not found the downloadable version I would have sent it back and raised hell.

It is absolutely criminal that a Windows business device is released without Remote Desktop. What in the world were they thinking?

Richard

I downloaded it for my phone but very rarely used it, only once and a while when I was in class, but if I'm at home I'll just carry my little mac around to connect to my laptop in my room. (I hate carrying around my laptop, battery stinks)

I just use logmein. Nothing to setup really. works great for me.
    Samsung SCH-i730 -> Treo 700w -> Samsung SCH-i760 -> Samsung Omnia (SCH-i910)

Quote Originally Posted by thaibruin View Post
    I just use logmein. Nothing to setup really. works great for me.
    Without a vpn solution you are taking a security risk.

Can someone please explain how to set this up and where I get the settings information. I am using windows XP Professional.

Thanks!

Mike

@MotorcycleMike

It's pretty straightforward if you have a static IP address that's accessible to the world. My work computers are like this and all I have to do is enable Remote Desktop (right click My Computer > Click Properties > Remote Settings > Click second radio button "Allow connection from...."). Then you just put in your computer name or IP address on the Windows Mobile client.

It's trickier if you're trying to access a computer that's behind NAT and on a dynamic IP, like your typical home connection. The best way to do it is to set up DynamicDNS on your router and then forward the port to the appropriate computer. Explaining that would take more time than I have. Google is your friend.

ethergnat

Where it says allow connection from, do i put the owner name on my i760 or is there a mac address or something?

Thanks

Mike

@MotorCycle Mike

On the PC side where it asks you what users should have access? That's user accounts on the PC--the user name and password you'll need to log on to the computer when you connect from your phone.

Any administrator accounts on the PC are set up for remote access by default. Note that any accounts without a password are excluded without warning (as I recall) so make sure your Windows account has a password.

This appears to be impossible, but does anyone know a way to transfer files via RDM?

*@ below thanks, that's what I figured I could do as a 2nd option.
    Last edited by luca_bras1; 07-16-2008 at 11:37 AM.
    Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur

Quote Originally Posted by luca_bras1 View Post
    This appears to be impossible, but does anyone know a way to transfer files via RDM?
    On the desktop version you can by using the mapping option, but on your phone that is impossible. I recommend emailing the file to yourself when RDPed in.

Myself - from home I just use my FTP server.

OK,
    I used whatismyip.com to get my ip address. I put that in where it says domain on the i760. Under computer I puit my computer name. User name I put the administartor name I use to log on and password I put the password I use to log on.
    Doesn't connect though. It says 1. Specified computer name or ip does not exist.
    2. A network error has occured.

I have access to my network camera from outside computers. That ip is forwarded. do I nedd to do the same with my computer ip address?

Thanks!

Mike

Wondering if anyone has tried this: Remote Touch freeware for Windows Mobile Pocket PC.

Seems pretty nice. I gave up on trying to get the standard Remote Desktop Mobile so I may give this a try.
    Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur

Unhappy Windows Mobile 6.1 Remote Desktop Connection

My 6.1 does not have the remote connection feature. I followed the link in an earlier post : WM6_RDP (Mobile Remote Desktop Client) and installed the program. My phone indicated this was for an earlier version of windows mobile and it may not work. I couldn't get it to work. Is there a newer version?

Here's one simple way to log into it.

K download Hamachi
    dl hamachi mobile on your phone
    set up a network on hamachi on your pc and connect to it from your phone
    You must have a password on your comp at home/work for remote to work.

Here is what you enter into Remote Desktop Mobile on your phone:

Computer: normally your ip but since we are using hamachi enter the numbers you see in your hamachi on your pc x.xxx.xx.xxx ect.

User name: Your user name on your computer you log into windows with i.e. Administrator or your name.

Password: Pass to log into windows

Domain: Leave blank

And we're Golden