+ Reply to Thread

Going to the dark Side... Blackberry THUNDER

Hi folks,

has anybody went from using a Windows mobile device to a blackberry? I'm thinking about getting the BB "Thunder" as its current name resides. Im tired of slow portrait to landscape loading, slow application closing, and all that slow stuff Windows has to offer. I hear BB OS is quite smooth and way faster than Windows mobile devices. Any opinions?

Thanks,

Charmane

You are comparing apples to oranges. If you just want generic functions such as email and web then I am sure it is fine. but there are many features that WM has over BB and vice versa.

Hard to compare. And those that try are biased one way or the other

Richard

Sense you are going to the Dark Side, when you need some light to see your way clear then get the SGH-i907 Omnia and use it's FlashLight
    CM Stacker832/GA-X38-DQ6/Q6600/G.Skill 4GB(2x2GB) DDR2 1000 Dual Kit/EVGA 8800 GTS
    2xSamsung SH-S203B/Zalman ZM-MFC2 <--"For Sale or trade"/HIPER HPU-4B580-MS
    Microsoft VISTA Ultimate 64bit/Ubuntu 7.10/Kaspersky Internet Security (8.346)Beta Tester

My girlfriend just got a BB Curve from her work and I have to admit, for it's basic functionality, it's rock solid with a fantastic battery life. But really that's all a BB is good for. Email, texting, BB Messenger. Any 3rd party app I installed (and there really aren't that many) ran and look like crap.

I'm holding out for a Touch Diamond Pro personally. I just hope they can optimize the TouchFLO 3D to actually not be so slow by the time they release it for CDMA.
    Samsung SCH-i730 -> Treo 700w -> Samsung SCH-i760 -> Samsung Omnia (SCH-i910)

Ha! thaibruin my wife just got a Curve and I have to admit I liked it very much more than I thought I would. It's a very nice piece of kit (and the Thunder looks very appealing). Part of me is a bit jealous on just how dead simple it is and the way it handles text/email communication (of course now we have threaded SMS!) and the interface is elegant and snappy ...

HOWEVER, I know that within a week I'd sorely miss my Media playing capabilities, Sirius, AIM, games and countless neat little apps and tweaks. I (and I think everybody here) will admit that the stock WM OS is CRAP compared to BB (ugly, overlycomplicated, user-unfriendly etc. - I mean, a Start menu? - let's think out of the grey box here guys). The sluggishness and the need to constantly soft-reset is always annoying.
    Someone not lucky enough to find their way here and willing to put in a bit of tweak-time (I enjoy this) would be much better off with a BB.

I'm willing to put in that time and until Android comes of age the WM OS is the most open PDA/Phone OS out there right now. There are almost limitless options to how you can customize your device. Now, speed and stability? ... Microsoft craves not these things.
    Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur

I upgraded to the curve a couple of weeks ago and have to say Im doing everything with my curve that I did with the i760 and more. Everything is so quick I get my information, send out a text, email, and it's less like an event like with the 760. Texting is so much easier and I don't have to check for missing letters. Nobody talks about it but immediate spell checking in emails, come on. It's just an amazing device that I can actually see myself holding on to for two years if I had to. For people that rather own the i760 are simply in denial which is fine because I was there too. I think WM will be back on top but if you have verizon and need a pda, the curve hands down. The only drawback and I mean the only would be lack of wifi. Every other feature curve has the advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by jbee21 View Post
    I upgraded to the curve a couple of weeks ago and have to say Im doing everything with my curve that I did with the i760 and more. Everything is so quick I get my information, send out a text, email, and it's less like an event like with the 760. Texting is so much easier and I don't have to check for missing letters. Nobody talks about it but immediate spell checking in emails, come on. It's just an amazing device that I can actually see myself holding on to for two years if I had to. For people that rather own the i760 are simply in denial which is fine because I was there too. I think WM will be back on top but if you have verizon and need a pda, the curve hands down. The only drawback and I mean the only would be lack of wifi. Every other feature curve has the advantage.
    Windows Mobile 6.1 finally resolves the missing letter problem. It can now keep up with normal typing speeds. As for "so much more" that you can do? Name them. If really all you're doing is sending text messages and checking and creating emails, hands down, the Curve is the way to go. Rock solid. But myself, as well as the other WinMo devotees out there, truly appreciate the level of customization and 3rd party application support for WinMo simply not found on a BB.
    Samsung SCH-i730 -> Treo 700w -> Samsung SCH-i760 -> Samsung Omnia (SCH-i910)

I need to be able to edit Word documents on the go at least once a week. Plus our office uses microsoft exchange servers and my phone, work, and home are all effortlessly sync'd.

It would probably be different if anyone in my office used a BB but everyone is on WM for the time being.

Quote Originally Posted by jbee21 View Post
    I upgraded to the curve a couple of weeks ago...For people that rather own the i760 are simply in denial which is fine because I was there too.
    Can you run Windows Mobile software on the curve? If you are using your device for just standard email and web then of course ANY device will suit you, and you probably should go with something simpler!

However, there are some of us that actually use Windows Mobile to run Windows Mobile software and the inherent features it provides like Exchange Push Email etc.

I really wish people would stop telling us WM users that we should be using Blackberry (or any non-WM device). Stick with what you need and we will do the same.

Thanks!

Richard

I Currently have the i760 and after the 6.1 update this phone has everything you could ever want in an oversized battery sucking dual keyboard touch device. i will check out the crackberry thunder when it arrives and see how it handles. I think we all want to know how the OS is going to handle the touch interface. Lets face the facts, no matter how much some of us hate the iphone its os is pretty amazing. If the thunder can match the iphone os and have microsoft support for email, mms, threaded sms, and good old REV A out of the box, i think half i760 owners will be thunder owners.

Quote Originally Posted by ramiss View Post
    Can you run Windows Mobile software on the curve? If you are using your device for just standard email and web then of course ANY device will suit you, and you probably should go with something simpler!

However, there are some of us that actually use Windows Mobile to run Windows Mobile software and the inherent features it provides like Exchange Push Email etc.

I really wish people would stop telling us WM users that we should be using Blackberry (or any non-WM device). Stick with what you need and we will do the same.

Thanks!

Richard

It's funny how you seem to think of a simpler device as inferior. If the things you mentioned are the only things holding you back that sucks. Ill continue to use media to it's full potential with 3.5mm jack, take photos with better quality, aim, read rss, triangulated signal tower gps, oh and do standard email and web apps as you call them.

I agree stick with what you need but dont be in denial about what it is your stuck to. There are usually routes around those problems.