+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Phone won't wake after long idle time?

First off, I did a search for "unresponsive", "idle", "wake up", and didn't see any posts that addressed my problem. Maybe I'm not a good searcher.... however:

I'm a new user of this phone and upgraded to 6.1 Sunday.

Today, I've noticed on 3 occasions after long periods of the phone being dormant, that I wasn't able to wake it. I hit the button on the top... nothing; I slid open the keyboard... nothing; I held down the Voice Command button... nothing.

The only thing I can do is remove the battery and reboot it.

I don't think I used the phone long enough before the upgrade to intelligently remark on whether the upgrade is causing the problem. I doubt it?

I don't have a lot of things actively running (yet). I have a POP3 mail account that updates every 2 hours. I have CommonTime mNotes5 synchronizing my Lotus Notes work mail. I have a WeatherBug direct plugin on the Today screen for weather.

I've had the first two items running on my old Q Smartphone for years, so I doubt they're the problem. I've removed Weatherbug from the Today screen Items configuration thinking that might be it (it's scheduled to update hourly).

In the meantime, I thought I'd put this question out there and see what any one else thought?

If the problem continues do I wait for the phone to become unresponsive again and return it to a VZW store?

bump...

No one's ever had their phone lock up where they had to pull the battery to reset it? That's amazing.

After the upgrade, it has had several periods of extended sleep, with no issues on the wake up. Sounds to me like a software issue. Out of curiosity, normally I would soft reset (use the stylus to push the red button on the keyboard) if it didn't wake up as opposed to pulling the battery. Did that not work either?

I want a Touch Pro 2!
    I've been a user of this phone for quite awhile and not had this issue till today and it happened twice to me today. very scary. After the second time I went back in and did a few things. Make sure on battery and external power you have the second option checked where it wakes up when you hit a button. I have spb today and unchecked the today timeout. I also set my power management as well. Since i did that around noon today, Ive not had an issue with it not waking.

I had this happen once with the I730 and found it was a combination of the backlight and power settings.

So far, I haven't had the problem occur; however, I'm running my i760 "naked" right now (haven't installed any third party software at all). It could be that one of the programs you are running is incompatible with WM 6.1. I recommend you hard reset and then run your i760 naked for a day or two. If you still have the problem, call VZW and have them replace your i760 with a different one. If the problem does not occur, slowly start adding your third party programs to your i760, one at a time with a day or two between installs.
    -Jay
    The Fine Print:Nothing in this post (or any of my other posts) is intended to constitute legal advice or the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. For purposes of this forum, I'm just another nerd like you. :-)

Where is this option?

Where is the option mentioned here? I don't see it in Settings > System > Power.

"Make sure on battery and external power you have the second option checked where it wakes up when you hit a button."

I'll also try the soft reset via the red keyboard button, if it happens again. And then also a hard reset and monitor a naked phone for a while.

Thanks for the help!

I've had this happen numerous times when I had WM6 and I think once since WM6.1 installed. I haven't found a fix or a cause, I normally do the soft reset to get it back up.

I want a Touch Pro 2!
    It just happened to me again this morning after I thought I had it fixed. May have to start from scratch. Funny thing is I just lost my phone 3 weeks ago and got a new one from Asurion, loaded all the same programs I have after I upgraded to 6.1 and the load 3 weeks ago didn't do this. Might have something to do with the order programs are loaded as well. I have SPB Today and SPB Diary loaded and finding those two might be the culprit in some form or fashion. Will keep trying.

I can report that I indeed have this problem. And, while I have not tracked how many times, it "feels" like waaaaaay more than as happened under 6.0. It happened a few times under 6.0, but not nearly as much as since I upgraded to 6.1 (Monday morning). Oddly, it feels like the frequency was increasing under 6.0 in the last few weeks before 6.1 came out. Probably just my muddled mind.

The only add-ons that I have are Windows Live and Yahoo Go (beta 3.0)...both of which I shut down when not in use. All components of WM6.1 are installed correctly (as displayed in Start/Settings/System/About and Start/Settings/System/Version).

I suggest that we all be consistent on how we report our settings so that we can be sure that we're looking at the same things. I remember that, under WM5 on the Q (which I had before the i760) there were odd things like this as well that took a specific combination of settings to cure. Here's my settings:

Start/Settings/System/Power/Advanced:
    * On Battery checked with 5 mins
    * On External not checked

Start/Settings/System/Power/Power Save:
    * Not checked

Start/Settings/System/Backlight/Battery Power:
    * First checked, with 10sec
    * Second checked

Start/Settings/System/Backlight/ExternalPower:
    * First checked, with 1 min
    * Second checked

Start/Settings/System/Backlight/Brightness:
    * 50 (don't think this has an impact, but wth)

Start/Settings/System/Backlight/Keyboard:
    * Not used for 5 secs
    * check box not checked

I went to these settings last evening. Let the phone sit for a while, couldn't wake it (even plugging it into the charger would not wake it), had to pop the battery. I will attemp the soft reset next time. Hopefully we can find the right combination of settings to cure this.

I had another lock up just now with very similar settings to what's above. Soft reset has the same effect of popping the battery, just simpler to execute.

My next step is to hard reset it and run naked for a few days (probably start on Friday when access to work mail isn't so critical)

I went ahead with the hard reset ahead of schedule after my second lock up of the day. It's been 7 hours since then and no lockups.

One thing that caught my eye as a possible cause of the lockups... being prompted to send usage data to Microsoft. I had allowed that before the reset; this time I declined.

For the others on this post that had lock up problems, too, did you elect to provide usage feedback?

I'm itching to get all my apps installed again...

I don't allow useage to be sent.

I am allowing usage to be sent...but I haven't had a lockup since my last post either.

Quote Originally Posted by fmeredith View Post
    First off, I did a search for "unresponsive", "idle", "wake up", and didn't see any posts that addressed my problem. Maybe I'm not a good searcher.... however:

Today, I've noticed on 3 occasions after long periods of the phone being dormant, that I wasn't able to wake it. I hit the button on the top... nothing; I slid open the keyboard... nothing; I held down the Voice Command button... nothing.

I don't think I used the phone long enough before the upgrade to intelligently remark on whether the upgrade is causing the problem. I doubt it?

I don't have a lot of things actively running (yet). I have a POP3 mail account that updates every 2 hours. I have CommonTime mNotes5 synchronizing my Lotus Notes work mail. I have a WeatherBug direct plugin on the Today screen for weather.

I've had the first two items running on my old Q Smartphone for years, so I doubt they're the problem. I've removed Weatherbug from the Today screen Items configuration thinking that might be it (it's scheduled to update hourly).

In the meantime, I thought I'd put this question out there and see what any one else thought?

If the problem continues do I wait for the phone to become unresponsive again and return it to a VZW store?
    I have had this happen to me many times. The problem is usually do to a software crash. I would hard reset the phone and see if you have it again, then I would go through all of your third party apps and figure out what is running all of the time and could be causing it.

I have not upgraded to WM6.1
    I've had my 760 for over a month and experience this issue almost daily. It has been happening almost since I began using it as my primary communication device.
    I thought maybe it was the VoiceCommand Announcement options:
    Start\Settings\VoiceCommands\Options:Announce Events [Call/Msg/Calendar]
    I suspected this because occasionally I would hear the beginning of an announcement, but when I went to see what was coming in, I'd find the device to be unresponsive.
    I've disabled all the announcements and began searching for other possible answers here.
    The frustrating thing is I really like the phone... when it works! Could it be a lemon or is this something others are putting up with out of the same 'love' of the 760?
    Last edited by kylemurley; 07-18-2008 at 11:39 AM.

add another person to this list. It definately started happenning after the 6.1 update. The issue isn't consistent either, meaning i can't seem to make it happen, it's just random. I did reinstall a bunch of applications, but no SPB. I usually only have pocketCM running, oh and quickmenu. I guess i could go back to the stock 6.1 and see if it happens, but plain windows mobile just sucks so bad! lol

I had a problem with mine locking up as well.
    I found out that the problem was the Today plugin 'SPB Pocket Plus'.
    I also have SPB weather, and PhoneAlarm plugins running without any issues.
    As soon as I removed the Pocket Plus plugin I have had no issues.
    Also for some reason I got horrible battery drain with this plugin enabled.

I know i am but what are you?
    Quote Originally Posted by fmeredith View Post

Quote Originally Posted by joshrys View Post
    Originally Posted by joshrys View Post
    Anyone else having problems with the phone not waking up from powersave mode? It's not consistent, but on several occassions, the phone just won't come back on. I have to pull the battery and power back on. It's done this about 10 times or so.
    This has happened to me several times. I think part of it has to do with it going into sleep mode while it's downloading from Mail, whether Pop or Outlook. and it gets confused.
    I posted this in the 6.1 new bugs Sticky thread.

Seems it has happened to me about about 10 times and it's when i try to wake it up shortly after it goes to sleep.

OH. Use your Stylus and stab the Hole (with KEYBOARD OPEN) that is left of the FN key. you dont' need to pull the battery.

Quote Originally Posted by rhyzar View Post
    I had a problem with mine locking up as well.
    I found out that the problem was the Today plugin 'SPB Pocket Plus'.
    I also have SPB weather, and PhoneAlarm plugins running without any issues.
    As soon as I removed the Pocket Plus plugin I have had no issues.
    Also for some reason I got horrible battery drain with this plugin enabled.
    Well it started to happen to me yesterday, about 5 days after I upgraded. I had seen in another thread that were issues with Pocket Plus (though I don't see anything in SPB's forums), so I have removed some of the components of Plus, but I have not deleted the whole program. I left safe boot and IE tabs.
    Last edited by John0866; 07-22-2008 at 02:10 PM.
    Palm100 > Compaq 3835 > Dell x50 > SCH-i760 > HTC Incredible

Inside S2U2 i turned off the lock feature, turned off direct draw, and turned on safe mode. I haven't had the dead phone symptoms since doing so. It's kinda a shame cause i like the S2U2 screen

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast