+ Reply to Thread

Whats up with the memory??

I have had the i760 for about 6 months. I admit, I didnt read the manual.

In the last couple of weeks, I have had an issue where my phone doesnt always want to make a call or take a picture citing inadequate memory. My storage and program memory are both 64MB and both show very little free- maybe 2MB in storage and 5-10 MB in program (it tops out at 15MB if I go to show all programs and shut them all down).

I have it connected to my office Exchange server where it synchs mails, tasks, contacts and calendar. I never installed any other programs. To my knowledge, I have no files or anything similar on it, though my tasks sometimes have attachements on my PC, I dont know if those are carrying over to my PDA b/c I dont use tasks there. I tried to unsynch tasks and it keep re-checking that box. I tried to disable wireless synch. I have about 15 pictures I took randomly.

I cannot figure out what the problem is. Is this normal? Am I supposed to have a memory card added?

Also, every so often my phone makes duplicate contacts and calendars on my PC- it has happened twice and wrecked total havoc on my laptop. Anyone know why this would be? Its possible active and wireless synch were both running - I never proactively set either to run, but I dont know that much about the phone.

Please help!

Welcome to PDAPhoneHome.com, ah621. I hope you find the site as helpful and as informative as I have. If you haven't already done so, please be sure to read the FAQs, which are stickied at the top of the forum.

Your lack of storage program memory could be due to e-mail attachments that have not been deleted (even though e-mails have been). Your lack of program memory might be the result of a memory leak in the Samsung Clock Today-Screen plug-in. There should be a link about this in the FAQs.

A soft reset should temporarily fix the low program memory issue (but it will crop up again if you are running the Samsung Clock on your Today screen). You'll need to use File Explorer to search for the location of the mail attachments and other large files.
    -Jay
    The Fine Print:Nothing in this post (or any of my other posts) is intended to constitute legal advice or the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. For purposes of this forum, I'm just another nerd like you. :-)

Hi Jay, Thanks, I read some of the FAQ and will look at them some more.

I cannot find any lingering attachments- how could I locate these? I checked file explorer for large files- they were all photos which I deleted. Soft reset only gives me 1MB more.

I will check my clock. I'd hate to lose my clock since I dont always wear a watch. Maybe I have to take this back to Verizon.

Internet browser cache always clogs mine up. You have to clear it with regularity if you browse much.

oh, docterry is absolutely right. I'm embarrassed I didn't think of that one myself. IE's cache can eat up storage memory. Go to My Device/Windows/Temporary Internet Files and see whether you have a bunch of files in there. If so, try deleting them. You can also open PIE (Pocket Internet Explorer and go Menu-->Tools-->Options-->Memory. Then, click Delete Files and Clear History; I'd also reduce the number of days in the history box. If that doesn't work, let us know.
    -Jay
    The Fine Print:Nothing in this post (or any of my other posts) is intended to constitute legal advice or the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. For purposes of this forum, I'm just another nerd like you. :-)

No files listed there... any other ideas? I really only use the phone and reading my email- the occasional pix and occasional txt message. I've been on the browser maybe 20 times total in 6 months- mostly reading cnn. When I have the storage memory check for large files (over 64kb) it only returns about 10 .jpg files each at around 325kb.

I had the same problem and it was the PIE files even though I did not see any in the folder using Total Commander. When I cleared it, as iprob8 suggests above from within PIE I went from 2MB free to 25MB!

Quote Originally Posted by ah621 View Post
    No files listed there... any other ideas? I really only use the phone and reading my email- the occasional pix and occasional txt message. I've been on the browser maybe 20 times total in 6 months- mostly reading cnn. When I have the storage memory check for large files (over 64kb) it only returns about 10 .jpg files each at around 325kb.
    Have you tried clearing the PIE cache?

Also, did the soft reset fix the Program Memory problem?
    -Jay

How many e-mail folders are you syncing? I've found that the more folders I sync (regardless of what's in them) the more memory is leaked every time I sync. Under Windows Mobile 6.1 you can see the memory usage of the FileSys.exe process increase each time you sync if you have more than one or two folders set to sync.

clear the deleted items

I recently found that even though I deleted e-mails and attachments, they stayed on the device in the trash until i cleared the trash...
    Go to Messaging, open outlook e-mail (for an exchange server), press menu, go to tools and select empty deleted items....
    let me know if it helps...
    Do the same thing for MMS etc...

The messaging tools and settings said I had 7mb in attachments. I changed the setting from manually to on connect/disconnect and did a soft reset and nothing changed. I couldnt actually get to a specific setting for outlook, it seemed to apply to all my messages.

I synch yahoo mail on demand and my work (exchange) one automatically.

Is PIE a standard program? I checked in file explorer under temp internet files and they said there was zero.

Quote Originally Posted by ah621 View Post
    The messaging tools and settings said I had 7mb in attachments. I changed the setting from manually to on connect/disconnect and did a soft reset and nothing changed. I couldnt actually get to a specific setting for outlook, it seemed to apply to all my messages.

I synch yahoo mail on demand and my work (exchange) one automatically.

Is PIE a standard program? I checked in file explorer under temp internet files and they said there was zero.
    PIE=Pocket Internet Explorer. Yes, it is standard with every Windows Mobile device, including the i760.
    -Jay