+ Reply to Thread

MMS ? Multimedia messaging - charges w/ VZ ?

Did search, unsuccessful. Had 730. Now 760.

What's MMS ? I assume that's used to send/receive pics.

Anybody know what the cost is for MMS with Verizon ? Same as Text Message ?

I do not have data plan, I get 250 text messages free and then pay 10 cents (I think).

I just want to confirm these don't cost $1 each or something outrageous.

Thanks !

You are correct. It is like a text message with a picture. There should not be any additional data charges for these, although it does use data, so it won't work with a data block on, but it will work without a data plan.

Does that help?

Thanks for above.

So the cost for an MMS is the same as SMS with Verizon ?

I'll find out when I get my bill, but would like to know now... Thanks !

Check VZW's website to be sure. I think it was around 25 cents each. I recently got the $5 package for 250 sms or mms.

Sounds like you have an older plan, delawaredave. Current rates may not apply to you, so check with customer service for clarification.

Currently, Verizon doesn't cover text AND picture/video messaging under one plan for data/PDA phones. Text (SMS?) messages are covered under older text plans and video/pic messages (MMS?) are charged as data recieved. I had an old text package, but was informed that it would no longer apply to vid/pics on the new phone.

So bottom line, if you don't have a data plan, you pay $.015/kb recieved for video/picture messages... OR it goes against your kb usage in your data plan.

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by msh441 View Post
    Sounds like you have an older plan, delawaredave. Current rates may not apply to you, so check with customer service for clarification.

Currently, Verizon doesn't cover text AND picture/video messaging under one plan for data/PDA phones. Text (SMS?) messages are covered under older text plans and video/pic messages (MMS?) are charged as data recieved. I had an old text package, but was informed that it would no longer apply to vid/pics on the new phone.

So bottom line, if you don't have a data plan, you pay $.015/kb recieved for video/picture messages... OR it goes against your kb usage in your data plan.

Hope this helps.
    I currently pay $10/month for Unlimited IN text/MMS (no data plan, don't get charged for MMS data usage) + 500 messages for non-verizon numbers. This is a fairly recent plan, I got it within the last year...

Hmm maybe I should call and see if I can get my charges waived because I get charged for data even though I have 2100 text/pix package for $15 a month. Last time I talked to the account rep they said that it uses a "different" way then normal phones to send pix so my pix would be covered but data fee would be added since pda phones use the data line to send pix/vid.

Anyone else heard otherwise or can confirm if they get charged for data?

Dave,
    i agree with jaguar about the pricing -- at least in Cali, VZ offers fixed-price package for certain number of SMS and MMS. Called the txt/pix/flix combo, or something like that, $5 or $10/mo.

However, even with that package, you still must not have data blocked. Also, if you have pay-as-you-go data plan, you may notice (or you may not notice them, but they most likely will be there) small charges for data.

see this thread Problem with sending MMS picture messages

i think there was another thread, too.

Quote Originally Posted by jaguar11735 View Post
    I currently pay $10/month for Unlimited IN text/MMS (no data plan, don't get charged for MMS data usage) + 500 messages for non-verizon numbers.
    Quote Originally Posted by ste_bran View Post
    Dave,
    i agree with jaguar about the pricing -- at least in Cali, VZ offers fixed-price package for certain number of SMS and MMS. Called the txt/pix/flix combo, or something like that, $5 or $10/mo.

However, even with that package, you still must not have data blocked. Also, if you have pay-as-you-go data plan, you may notice (or you may not notice them, but they most likely will be there) small charges for data.

Ohio and California might allow different plans... inspect yourbill close... but I was specificlly told that in Washington, the $10 messaging plan when applied to the i760 ONLY covered plain-old text messages. I had this plan on my En-V and I considered keeping it when switching to the i760... but didn't (yet).

Again, video and picture messaging when recieved on the i760 are charged against data recieved. If you have no data plan, that means it'll cost $.015/kb. If you have a data plan, well... who cares. If not... they charge you.

Now pics sent are so comressed that they're usually pretty small (1-3kb? Maybe)... so t won't be huge. But it'll be there. Send a video and it'll be even more. Again... watch that bill close and see.
    Last edited by msh441; 07-17-2008 at 02:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by msh441 View Post
    Again, video and picture messaging when recieved on the i760 are charged against data recieved. If you have no data plan, that means it'll cost $.015/kb. If you have a data plan, well... who cares. If not... they charge you.
    I'll check my plan. I think I get 250 "TXT" messages. We'll see what MMS gets billed at.

I can't believe how cheap cell plans has become - my work company keeps switching the plan on my phone.

My last bill was like $85 (after taxes, I think) for unlimited voice -- I think it was one of those $99 plans with a 15-20% corporate discount on top of that. Was around $180 a year ago.

Thanks for everyone's comments !