+ Reply to Thread

What exactly is Wireless Sync and why do I need it?

Hi,

What exactly is wireless sync used for? As far as email goes can't I just have the i760 set to check mail every 30 minutes or so through my email account. (That's how I do it now)

What else does wireless sync do?

Thanks!

Mike

Wireless Sync provides "push" e-mail for those who don't have an Exchange 2003 or Exchange 2007 server. If you have Exchange 2003 or Exchange 2007 or if you don't care about "push" e-mail, you don't need wireless sync.

When I first got my i730, I had to use Wireless Sync because I wanted "push" capability and my firm had an Exchange 2000 (or was it 2002?) server. When we upgraded to Exchange 2003, I was able to ditch Wireless Sync.
    -Jay
    The Fine Print:Nothing in this post (or any of my other posts) is intended to constitute legal advice or the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. For purposes of this forum, I'm just another nerd like you. :-)

Another feature of WS

Hi Mike,
    My recollection (from when i used to use Wireless Sync) -- in addition to what iProb said -- is that it provides an automatic (you dont have to do anything) backup feature for your contacts, calendar, etc, and it provides offsite storage. Also provides a way for you to retrieve your contacts, calendar, etc from anywhere (after a hard reset while on a trip out of town, for instance).

Perhaps if you have exchange server, then maybe you already have that functionality?

Quote Originally Posted by ste_bran View Post
    Hi Mike,
    My recollection (from when i used to use Wireless Sync) -- in addition to what iProb said -- is that it provides an automatic (you dont have to do anything) backup feature for your contacts, calendar, etc, and it provides offsite storage. Also provides a way for you to retrieve your contacts, calendar, etc from anywhere (after a hard reset while on a trip out of town, for instance).

Perhaps if you have exchange server, then maybe you already have that functionality?
    Yes it does all of that, but the main feature it provides is the push email which means your phone will not connect and download your messages till you receive a new one. It is being pushed off the server onto your device. This saves lots of battery power and it keeps your data usage down. The new iphone push email actually is not push email it just checks every 15 minutes for a new message then you receive it after 15 minutes.