+ Reply to Thread

My WM6.1 upgrade experience + question

Monday night I tried the update and it failed halfway through, bricking my phone. Quick call to Verizon had my phone on its way to my doorstop arriving today.

Got home today and immediately began the upgrade again. Start to finish it took maye 10 minutes, no failures, perfect success. In fact, I only had to do it once and everything was updated correctly including the phone radio.

Then I tried to press the Start/VC button. Yep, stuck. Completely. No movement to the button at all but with a very serious press (say 50 pounds of pressure) I can get VC to come on. Awesome.

Another phone call to Verizon informs me that no nearby stores carry the i760 in stock and they will overnight me another phone. Hopefully this refurb is good, and you better believe I will press every button on it before I start the upgrade.

Now my question: If this next phone has an issue requiring yet another replacement, would that be enough justification for me to get out of my contract without penalty? I've heard people use this excuse before with varied success. I am looking to try something new on a different carrier, but would rather not drop the $140 or whatever I owe to end my contract.
    It's been quite a trip! Handspring Visor Deluxe - Palm m515 - Kyocera 7135 - Samsung i730 - Samsung i760

well from my personal experence.. and you have to ask about the policy.. 3 bad phones in like a month (somebody correct the time frame on this as it might be 3 months) = full credit on your acct for the price you paid on your current phone, and the new phone of you choice less the acct credit. IE you could get a cheaper phone but not receive full credit or a more expensive one( good luck finding one) and pay the extra.

doe's that make any sense?

Makes sense! Thanks slosho!

Too bad I couldn't use it to get myself out of the contract altogether (I know, I know, I signed a legal contract).

At the minimum I'll ask for a week's credit due to not having a phone.

But if I can't use this to get out of the contract sans penalty, then I'd just stick with this phone as it still seems to be the best smartphone that Verizon carries at the moment (unless someone else has an opinion!).
    It's been quite a trip! Handspring Visor Deluxe - Palm m515 - Kyocera 7135 - Samsung i730 - Samsung i760