+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Wired headsets

Wired headsets

Hey all. I wanted to know what's the deal with the iPod headset jack and is that compatible with ours? I never was one to fall for a multi-million dollar ad campaign and a substandard device. That being said I have only been able to find an earphone for the i760, is anyone using a wired headset and if so, what brand and model? I really am trying not to use an adapter. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Are you talking about audio headphones or a headset that you talk into? I think that it is a standard 2.5 headset jack that most normal wired headsets should work with. However, normal audio headphones need an adapter, and not just anyone will do. I don't know anything about the iPod headset jack. I can confirm that this one from Amazon works fine (recommended from others on the board), is cheap at $3.99, and will ship free if you buy another $21.01 worth of stuff. If the link doesn't work, search for Headphone Adapter for Samsung SCH-A890.

EDIT: Noticing your profile, you already have a wireless BT headset, so you must be talking about wired headphones. So yeah, you definitely need the adapter. It's a little annoying, but works fine.

Radioshack has the adapter for approx $7. You can find these cheaper online.

You want one which has three insulator rings on the plug. The rings are usually black or white.

Yeah I picked up an adapter, I have just had bad luck with these in the past, but then again I can't imagine the demand being all too high for mini-jack headphones. I suppose I could splice, solder, and make my own; but I am too pressed for time. If you catch an RSS feed over a plane being rerouted due to an angry guy who is only getting sound out of one channel that will be me.

Yeah. It's annoying, especially since no one uses wired headsets anymore, might as well make that spot a full headphone jack. Not all of the adapters work well, but I personally use the one at the link I posted, so I know it works in case yours doesn't. I'll keep an eye on the RSS reader.

There's a big discussion on this in the i730 forum I believe (try a search there). There are several options for adapters - the "official" Verizon one seemed to be a favorite as it comes with a call answer toggle and volume control (and mic). The Samsung jack is a bit different and some "standard" adapters end up activating the phone by accident (like mine)

I have a Radio Shack one and it works ok, but it sticks out so far I can't use it with it in my pocket. In a pinch I use the ones that came with my i730 - not the best, but it works.

I was always tempted to try Box Wave's retractable earbuds. I nearly bought them (instead I went for a Motorrola S9)
    Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur

I got some wired headphones from my local verizon store. $31 and I they were jabra. I ended up returning them thoughbecause the right earpiece crapped out on me. probably just a bad unit or something. wired headphones are out there though...

wired headset

I use the stereo headset from verizon and they sound great....You can get them in the "music bundle box" which is actually for another phone but includes the headset and they are only $10 right now. The headset is normally $25. I tried the altec lansing ones but they were $50 and sounded terrible.

Headset volume

I have the Radio Shack adapter. I use it with a Bose QC-2 noise cancelling headset to listen to music with Windows Media player. The volume is anemic. Does anyone have an opinion on the volume? Is it the adapter, the headset or the phone that causes the low volume? The headset works great with all other music sources I have tried - there is no volume control on the QC-2 headset. I had a volume problem with the i760 alarm clock that was pumped WAY up with spb Time so I am wondering if there is a patch or a different music player that would increase the volume?

I have the VZW adapter with volume control, toggle, and mic. I can use any wired headset I want with it...works very well.