+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Has the jury reached a verdict? Re: 6GB & 8GB Cards on WM6.1

Hi Everybody,

Do 6GB and 8GB cards work with the WM 6.1 release?

Thanks,

John
    2 things to live by:
    John 8:12a - "I am the light of the world." and
    John 14:1a - "Let not your heart be troubled."

I have heard that the 6 gig cards work but not heard of an 8 being tested.

RWC
    Member Vast Right Wing Conspiracy RWC's Avatar
    8 GB works fine.. reports 7782.00 MB

No problems w/ speed or running applications off it either.

Thanks, RWC. I've gone ahead and updated the WM 6.1 in the Wild thread with this information so I'm going to close this thread. If someone runs into problems using 6 or 8GB microSDHC cards, send me a PM and I'll re-open this thread or we can start another one.
    -Jay
    The Fine Print:Nothing in this post (or any of my other posts) is intended to constitute legal advice or the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. For purposes of this forum, I'm just another nerd like you. :-)

At the request of some users, I'm going to re-open this thread. If you experience any problems using microSDHC cards with your WM 6.1 i760, or if you have success with cards larger than 6GB, please report it in this thread.
    -Jay
    The Fine Print:Nothing in this post (or any of my other posts) is intended to constitute legal advice or the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. For purposes of this forum, I'm just another nerd like you. :-)

PFM
    SD 8GB works great.

PFM

We need someone to confirm that all 8GB is actually accessible. ie write and read back to all sectors.

Richard

Confirmed. It works. All 8G. I've got it completely full of MP3s and have played them randomly - and indexed them ALL from WMP - and can confirm that all 8G works.

Apparently, there's a few threads on this, so iProb8 was closing some of them... not sure which has what data.

I'm eager to get a 16G when that comes out!

Quote Originally Posted by RWC View Post
    8 GB works fine.. reports 7782.00 MB

No problems w/ speed or running applications off it either.
    I can confirm this...Sandisk 8GB SDHC from ZipZoomFly for $44.95. Shows 7782 MB and works like a charm.

Thanks for testing but I must point out that none of these tests are necessarily conclusive. I have seen storage cards show the space available but error out on using it.The mp3 test, unless you have played back all 8GB of songs, does not really show that those last few sectors are readable.

Can anyone with an 8GB card use something like Pocket Mechanic or other type of sector test tool to confirm?

Thanks again.

Richard

After started this thread, I decided to order one from eektechnology.com. After shipping, it came to $41 which I thought was OK.

Anyway, I can confirm that it works. Hooray!

So what's next? Will it be 10GB? or 12GB? or 16GB?

I have to admit, the 6GB size that was relatively short lived. A very strange number in Computer Science land... We are all used to thinking 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32....

I think I read once that the max size from the sdhc format is 20GB. Can anybody confirm? I have no idea what I would do with space, but we all know Bill Gates quote about 640K....

John
    2 things to live by:
    John 8:12a - "I am the light of the world." and
    John 14:1a - "Let not your heart be troubled."

Quote Originally Posted by ramiss View Post
    Can anyone with an 8GB card use something like Pocket Mechanic or other type of sector test tool to confirm?
    Oh... sorry... I've done that, too. Pocket Mechanic tested and confirmed the whole card.

Perhaps you could send me your phone and I'll test it for you.

Hi,

Just bought an i760, upgraded to WM6.1, and bought an 8G Adata microsdhc card. The i760 doesn't seem to recognize the card at all. I can't see the storage card from File Explorer, and on Settings -> Memory -> Storage Card, the card displays as "not installed". I've tried resetting the device and removing / reinserting the card. The card seems to work ok from my windows machine ... I'm able to read and write to the card.

Is there anything I need to do to get the i760 to recognize the card? I have not installed the hack.

Thanks for any help.

Jim

Card brand? A-Datas have been good for me in other devices... but I'm quite certain the phone reads my 8G...

My Patriot 8G is working just fine.

16 GB works!

Have a Samsung i760 and just got my Sandisk 16 GB micro card and it seems like it is working perfectly. I've run every disk option in Pocket Mechanic with no errors; with both an empty card and a full card. Pocket Mechanic reports 14.82 GB size. I filled the card with MP3s and WMP found and added all 2317 files to the library. Seems to be working fine. I will repost if any errors arise. Someone please report on the 32 GB card when it gets to a reasonable price!

Woo Hoo!!

I have also purchased a 16GB card and it seems to work fine.

David

Do I have to do any special?

I just bought the Samsung SCH-i760 on ebay. Other than upgrade to WinMo 6.1, which I planned to do anyways, do I have to do anything else to use SDHC cards?

Nope, should work after the upgrade.

Das Uber Tech Geek
    Patriot 8G works fine in my i760.