+ Reply to Thread

Life after Hard Reset

Tried doing a search on this subject but couldn't find answer(s) so forgive me if I'm being repetitive here.
    Been reading w/great interest the posts on wm 6.1 and am about to plunge.
    I'm intrigued by the cavalier approach many have on hard resets.
    I've avoided doing them like the plague as I always end up having to call vzw tech to assist me through getting everything reset.
    I sync w/Outlook and have tons of contacts and my experience is it takes forever to reload on the phone.
    Does/can anyone offer a brief tutorial on how they make hard resets as pain free as possible including re-establishing phone svc (*228?) and email accts.?

Thanks, and I am so impressed w/the knowledge and helpfullness you folks possess.

If you have a lot of contacts, it just takes a long time to re-sync with Outlook, but it is probably the safest way to do it. Make sure to sync before hard resetting. Hard Reset, delete the ActiveSync/WMDC partnership, plug in the phone, establish a new partnership, and tell it to sync with outlook. If you're using an exchange server, go back to activ sync on your phone, and setup the Exchange settings, and it goes automatically. Will still take a while.

*228 just updates the phone's list of cell towers so it can get the best signal possible.

From hard reset to completely up and running with all 3rd party programs - 15 mins max. Just make sure you back up!

Quote Originally Posted by intellax View Post
    From hard reset to completely up and running with all 3rd party programs - 15 mins max. Just make sure you back up!
    15 minutes! Sign me up.
    However, what I'm looking for is HOW do you do it in 15 minutes?!?!

Keep all the .cab files for your 3rd party apps on an SD card in your phone. After hard reset, simply reinstall your apps. Also, I keep each .cab in a separate folder, along with a text file that has any registration keys for the program.

All good info, but...
    1) Do I have to talk to vzw to establish phone, text, etc. svc?
    2) Any tricks to setting up email accounts or can I just replicate current settings and go through setup in Messaging. New account, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeBoat View Post
    All good info, but...
    1) Do I have to talk to vzw to establish phone, text, etc. svc?
    2) Any tricks to setting up email accounts or can I just replicate current settings and go through setup in Messaging. New account, etc.
    No, the phone will, (or shall I say SHOULD), work right after the hard reset. I use Mailstreet so I just re-enter my exchange server settings and EVERYTHING is automatically populated again.

in the root directory ofyour phone is a file named pim.vol. This file contains all of your contacts, appointments, tasks, etc. Copy this file to your memory card. After installing 6.1, go ino the root dir nd rename the default pim.vol to anything.vol or whatever, than copy your pim.vol from the storage card back to the root dir and soft reset. All of your contacts will be restored, no Outlook sync required.

I used to hard reset all the time

this is my 15 mins routine:

1. backup via activesync (contacts, tasks, cal, email, etc...
    2. hard-reset
    3. dial *228 twice (once for each option) just to be safe
    4. set up email - really easy on 6.1 if your exchange server allows automatic detection.
    5. like previously said I keep all the cabs for my 3rd party apps on my SD card... run them
    6. set up to liking
    7. i usually throw in a soft-reset after all programs have been installed

takes about 15 minutes. i hard reset about 15 times after installing 6.1 to try to figure out what was causing my weird problems. now im a hard reset veteran!

i've never had to talk to vzw for anything, thankfully