+ Reply to Thread

i760 Data mode on and off

I am new to the Sch-i760 and wondered if there is a quick easy way to initiate Data transfer mode for accessing the internet and email (Dialing #777, maybe I just manually dial it?) and a quick way to disconnect. This may seem simple, but it seems there should be a one button way to do it, without having to go through a couple of menu's. Thanks!!

As far as doing it with one button, you'll probably have to use a third party program. I know Phone Alarm will allow you to do this with various skins for 1 button.

So what is the easiest conventional way without an add on program. I read instructions somewhere that said all you have to do is open up internet explorer, but when I do that the data connection # is not automatically dialed. I have to request a different web page before the # is automatically dialed. Then to disconnect the data connection, I go to the wireless manage screen (Wifi, Bluetooth, Phone) tap on Menu, and then tap on Disconnect Cellular Data. Is this the easiest conventional way to connect and disconnect?? Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by erichardy View Post
    So what is the easiest conventional way without an add on program. I read instructions somewhere that said all you have to do is open up internet explorer, but when I do that the data connection # is not automatically dialed. I have to request a different web page before the # is automatically dialed. Then to disconnect the data connection, I go to the wireless manage screen (Wifi, Bluetooth, Phone) tap on Menu, and then tap on Disconnect Cellular Data. Is this the easiest conventional way to connect and disconnect?? Thanks!!
    Why do you manually disconnect your data connection? The constant dialing and disconnecting uses more battery power and does not provided any benefit. The reconnect will only happen when something is trying to access the internet. This is to prevent your phone's battery from getting eaten up when you are in a no service area.

The "home page" of IE is cached locally so you won't need the net till you request a new page.

Sounds like eric may not have the unlimited data plan and would therefore like to manually enable/disable the service as needed to avoid unwanted KBs. Just guessing here. I can see where it would be nice to have a button that enabled/disabled data - I think the vx6800 has a dedicated data button (it may be for WiFi only, but I remember thinking that was a useful thing)
    Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur

You are correct luca_bras1, I do not have an unlimited Data plan so that is why I want to connect and disconnect when I am done. Thanks for the comments, they have all helped me to understand what is going on at least.

Quote Originally Posted by erichardy View Post
    You are correct luca_bras1, I do not have an unlimited Data plan so that is why I want to connect and disconnect when I am done. Thanks for the comments, they have all helped me to understand what is going on at least.
    Just because you are connect doesn't mean you will be using data, but you can modify the dial-up settings. Maybe you can do something in there.

Just wondering (and perhaps someone has some knowledge of how to go about this) if something like MortScript or nScript could be utilized. I have to think there's a good chance one could come up with a script to enable/disable data and then assign it to a button press.

PocketPCFreeware : MortScript 4.11b7
    PocketPCFreeware : nScriptm 0.104
    Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur

Quote Originally Posted by luca_bras1 View Post
    Just wondering (and perhaps someone has some knowledge of how to go about this) if something like MortScript or nScript could be utilized. I have to think there's a good chance one could come up with a script to enable/disable data and then assign it to a button press.

PocketPCFreeware : MortScript 4.11b7
    PocketPCFreeware : nScriptm 0.104
    I went through the options and have come up with a solution to at least prevent the phone from automatically connecting. If you edit the connection and remove the password the phone will not auto connect. Then when you try to do something using the connection you will be prompted to log in. That isn't excatly what your looking for but I hope it helps as a temporary solution till you can find what you need.