Poll: Does Cell Phone usage affect you or your loved ones?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Reply to Thread

Brain tumers from cell phones!

Do you care about your brain or your child's brain?

For those of you who talk a lot on the cell phone or have kids that do, you are taking a big risk. But kids say "Tommy has one and most my friends do so I want one please, please please" And you give in so your child can look cool with the rest of the kids.

The arguments over the effects of cell phone radiation go on, but the head of the University of Pittsburgh Cancer Institute is taking no chances.

A UPMC cancer expert warned today that says excessive cell phone use could lead to an increased risk of brain cancer.

Dr. Ronald B. Herberman, the director of the University of Pittsburgh Cancer Institute and UPMC Cancer Centers, issued an internal advisory to about 3,000 faculty and staff members warning of the possible health risks posed by cellular phones.

Dr. Ronald B. Herberman has warned his 3,000 faculty and staff members to limit cell phone use, and he says children should only use them in emergencies because their brains are still developing.

"These waves have been shown to have the ability to penetrate into the brain," said Herberman, who based his advisory on international studies from countries such as France, Germany and India. "This provides a plausible basis for concern that it might be contributing to an increased incidence in brain tumors."
    Last edited by JASTECH; 07-23-2008 at 10:29 PM.
    CM Stacker832/GA-X38-DQ6/Q6600/G.Skill 4GB(2x2GB) DDR2 1000 Dual Kit/EVGA 8800 GTS
    2xSamsung SH-S203B/Zalman ZM-MFC2 <--"For Sale or trade"/HIPER HPU-4B580-MS
    Microsoft VISTA Ultimate 64bit/Ubuntu 7.10/Kaspersky Internet Security (8.346)Beta Tester

I had to pick option 4 just because it made me laugh

What about option 5 to use a helmet when talking on a cellphone?

Does Bluetooth aid at all in this?

Yeah - my doctor told me last week that breathing has a definite chance of causing me cancer. Now I'm gonna go back to doing something useful.

The article on CNN (Cancer expert warns employees on cell phones - CNN.com) says that bluetooth does help, mainly because (long story short) it keeps the actual phone away from your head therefore reducing the effects of the radiation. This is the same thing in most cellphone manuals that warn you to keep the phone like 5 cm away from your body (belt clip style) as opposed to carrying it in your pocket.

But hey, wireless routers could cause tumors (t-u-m-O-r-s :p) as well, along with possibly bluetooth (unsupported?), so hey, bring it on.

I'm not convinced that cell phones can directly cause cancer. They emit radio waves like so many other devices out there today (and for the last 100 or so years since electricity became widespread.) Then again, I'm not a doctor but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
    John

what a trolling poll

Quote Originally Posted by jpmihalk View Post
    I'm not convinced that cell phones can directly cause cancer. They emit radio waves like so many other devices out there today (and for the last 100 or so years since electricity became widespread.) Then again, I'm not a doctor but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
    There are hundreds of studies that prove cell phones have no correlation to cancer and their are hundreds of studies which says that they do. I lean towards them not causing cancer, since the same waves are going through your body when your on the phone and when your not. You have at any time thousands of different signals and waves passing through your body.

Quote Originally Posted by kiint View Post
    what a trolling poll
    If you don't like it then don't post here. I think it to be a legitimate question do to all the proof out there on the damage to the brain.
    CM Stacker832/GA-X38-DQ6/Q6600/G.Skill 4GB(2x2GB) DDR2 1000 Dual Kit/EVGA 8800 GTS
    2xSamsung SH-S203B/Zalman ZM-MFC2 <--"For Sale or trade"/HIPER HPU-4B580-MS
    Microsoft VISTA Ultimate 64bit/Ubuntu 7.10/Kaspersky Internet Security (8.346)Beta Tester

When people talk of studies, are you simply looking at things CNN or your local news throws around? or maybe the local magazine that may or may not have an agenda? The basics of any study always comes down to who did it and how. So the first questions anyone should really ask is where was this published and who were the reviewers to the subject. This is why scientific journals are more substantial because they tell you how it was done, what the results were and then what statistics they used to quantify their results. The articles are almost always peer reviewed and any "hocus pocus" science is usually caught before ever being published (in good journals that is). Granted there are good and bad journals out there so that also needs to be investigated, but anything coming from some random doctor with a title just doesn't do it for me.

I also know there are thousands of radio waves passing through my body during any second of the day. So will my cell phone which is FCC restricted to it power output really cause more problems? I honestly don't think so and until I get my hands on a "real" manuscript describing a study that I feel proves itself then I will continue to think this way. Of course I am not looking for such an article so I do watch for any references in any random piece I read or catch on the television just to see if I can verify what they are saying. I have yet to see any true justification to any such story.

Just my two cents for the day.
    Bat.

Quote Originally Posted by JASTECH View Post
    If you don't like it then don't post here. I think it to be a legitimate question do to all the proof out there on the damage to the brain.

There's no proof whatsoever, not one study anywhere that shows harm. Had you read the story that you quoted you would have noticed this scientist acknowledges that. But he also says there's no proof that it doesn't hurt you. So, just like the global warming zealots, he wants you to take action now. Just in case. Sorry, I don't live my life that way.

This topic gets revisited every so many years. The cell phones, tv, monitors, the microwave, etc...

Good way to get a lot of money in the name of science.

Besides if it's not one thing, it will surely be another that will get us all in the end.

I love it... the "increased risk," that doesn't mean that it causes it. I think that increased magnetic waves to hurt but in my eyes you would have to sleep with and glue your phone to your head while talking to it. Junk. the 1/32 or it is 1/16 of a watt is nothing. Plus if you use head sets then the radiation means nothing.l
    It is kind of fun to try the impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by brandonpa View Post
    Plus if you use head sets then the radiation means nothing.l

If you use a bluetooth headset you haven't changed anything except the frequency of the radio. You still have a radio transmitter on your head.

Quote Originally Posted by JASTECH View Post
    There is NO proof. Why do you SAY that, like saying that makes it so??????

That "Doctor" has been blasted by scientists all day long on talk radio, he's trying to get his name in the news, he's the "Sierra Club" of cell phones, a goofy nut who cries "wolf". He presented NO real data whatsoever. Even the old hippie Dr. Dean Edell blasted him on Friday on his medical talk show.

Sigh... so when is CNN a legitimate citation for research results..? As batoidea sez you need to go back to the peer reviewed journals that the studies were published in.. look at its citations.. look at the comments by the reviewing scientists... look at the other related studies, and research. Last I saw the connection was statically insignificant compared to all the other radiation sources we are subjected too on a daily basis.... That's not to say using a smartphone won't cause brain damage. At least that's what my wife accuses me of every time she see's me playing with my phone..heh heh
    Mark
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

Amature Radio operators, Police, Fire and commercial entitites use handheld radios sometimes in excess of 5 watts output (far greater than a cell phone). I have never run into anyone who has gotten cancer from that.

May the proponents of this misinformation turn the light switch on in a room that has had the lightbulbs replaced with magnetrons. Let see what kind of damage that does
    the end is important in all things