+ Reply to Thread

Android on i760?

Has anyone been toying with the idea of getting Android to boot on the i760?

It has been done on the Titan (XV6800). I know efforts should certainly be focused on custom ROM flashing first, and it looks like a few guys are doing a great job on that as well!

I would love to know as well - seems like a real cool system. Anyone?

Well heck I'll chime in and say I'd love to see this happen and would support any effort to make it happen. However, most work in this area is being done for HTC devices. I somehow doubt it will come to us.
    Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur

I am still working on the HTC Android stuff. at least all the ROM is written in English and not Chinese. If you want to experiment with Android I can send you the SDK.
    CM Stacker832/GA-X38-DQ6/Q6600/G.Skill 4GB(2x2GB) DDR2 1000 Dual Kit/EVGA 8800 GTS
    2xSamsung SH-S203B/Zalman ZM-MFC2 <--"For Sale or trade"/HIPER HPU-4B580-MS
    Microsoft VISTA Ultimate 64bit/Ubuntu 7.10/Kaspersky Internet Security (8.346)Beta Tester

I've played with the SDK, but just think it would be very cool to actually get it to boot on our phones.

Maybe bring some attention to our great device as well. We seem to get overlooked all the time

I hate WM6

I can not stand the Windows mobile platform. Well, let's just say Windows on any platform.

Please let me know as soon as anyone hears of a way to load Android on the i760.

This looked interesting: Run Android on Your Windows Mobile Phone - How-To Geek

The i760 isn't mentioned, but this is supposed to work on many Samsung phones. Maybe one brave soul would want to try it? (not I)

home - ANDROMNiA Wiki

Oooh that looks tempting to try! It seems it will only run from the SD card and then if you reboot it goes back to WinMo from what I'm reading!
    Mark
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

Well I have a i760 if anyone wants to test it, granted the screen has the white lines on it and the touch screen doesn't work.

I almost want to try it just cause I'm way overdue for an upgrade...plus I have a 3rd party warranty on it.

EDIT: And then I saw this:

Not yet supported:

- CDMA/EVDO/3G, Bluetooth, GPS, Motion Sensor, Camera (back or front), Suspend Mode (1-2 hour battery life...) or Optical Mouse.
    I'm not that brave.

I guess if someone did have an i760 they didn't care for they could try it, but it's doubtful it would work properly as you say and it would probably be slow.

I still like this phone very much. If there was a way for me to upgrade the CPU/RAM I'd stick with it for as long as it works. It's this post life-cycle period that has me wishing I went with an HTC (6800) just because there's always guys hacking away on it.

I had one foot out the door with the announcement of the Droid 2, but it got pretty mediocre reviews. When will we get a VZW Android slider that rocks?

I hear you about still liking the i760. Had it since the first day available. Still runs fine. The only phone I'd like to switch to (new Sammy Galaxy type) is only available on Sprint. Bummer!
    John

I am HIGHLY interested in this - it meets all the requirements I set out for my "ultimate" phone -

VZW - check
    HTC - check
    Fast CPU (1.2) - check
    Android - check
    SLIDE OUT KEYBOARD - check

I like the size and look and the keyboard looks nice. Very tempting. Might have to be an early Xmas present depending on when it comes out.

HTC's dual-mode CDMA / GSM Android slider hits the FCC, decked out in shades of Verizon -- Engadget

I was very interested in the Galaxy S being a fan of Samsung, but I've heard less than stellar reviews overall and it seems like VZW got the worst version? (if that's even possible).

Quote Originally Posted by luca_bras1 View Post
    I am HIGHLY interested in this - it meets all the requirements I set out for my "ultimate" phone -

VZW - check
    HTC - check
    Fast CPU (1.2) - check
    Android - check
    SLIDE OUT KEYBOARD - check

I like the size and look and the keyboard looks nice. Very tempting. Might have to be an early Xmas present depending on when it comes out.

HTC's dual-mode CDMA / GSM Android slider hits the FCC, decked out in shades of Verizon -- Engadget

I was very interested in the Galaxy S being a fan of Samsung, but I've heard less than stellar reviews overall and it seems like VZW got the worst version? (if that's even possible).
    Well I just found my new phone.

Yea, saw that. For those of us using the Sammy slide out i760: Note how nice the kybd slides in n out (the magnetic 'thingy'). The HTC doesn't use that mechanism (I believe that's the case). Sure wudda thought VZW would have gotten the one that Sprint got (instead). If that had been the case, I would have jumped. So is the magnetic thing a show stopper? No. But... Just seems VZW can NEVER get its act together. That said from one using cells from way back, an early adopter, etc, etc. The Sprint new Galaxy S would have been 'purrfect' (IMHO).

Still stickin' w/my i760 fer now...
    John

I am with you - Galaxy S with slider would have been hard to pass up.

It is unfortunate that with Android you have to take into account the Samsung, Motorola and HTC skins they throw on top of the stock Android. I'd prefer plain vanilla Android, but it does seem that HTC still does the best job with this (and it'll be much more hackable thanks to the HTC hacking folks)

ANDROMNiA Looks promising it shows support for the i780, so that seems like a close enough model to the i760... Guess someone just needs to testdrive it and see how it works with the actual i760

home - ANDROMNiA Wiki