+ Reply to Thread
    Sneakerhead

Soon to be an i760 owner

Just curious, from what i've seen im really liking the i760 and definately plan on getting it, mostly the fact that it is WM and is hackable.

I do have a few questions though,

1. I am on a family plan and i am not the primary account holder, we have reached 2 years and now have a NE2 discount of hopefully $100. The phone is currently listed at $299 and i plan on ordering it online. The NE2 would make it $199 and the $50 MIR (which i believe comes in the box?) will make it $150. Im wondering if there are any other discounts, other than ADD, and how much did everyone pay for theirs?

2. I want to use the internet and such, but im lost on data plans and such. Can someone fill me in on a good one? My friend owns a Spint Mogul and there family pays under $10 for him to access internet. I also plan on accessing aim using a program for the phone.

3. Is there anything else i should consider before purchasing the phone?

Thanks to everyone who replies or atleast takes the time to read it lol, and if there is already a thread sorry i looked back 10 pages.

Congratulations on choosing to purchase a great phone. As far as who paid what, I think you will find a vast spread between the highest and lowest. Whatever Verizon is offering it for is what people are paying.

If you plan on using the internet, I would get the unlimited data plan and make sure you use it as much as possible (i.e. slingbox, WIFI Router, etc.). If you get that plan that will qualify you for the advanced device discount (add) and even though your verizon rep may tell you different, you can cancel that a month later and still keep your discount.

Good luck with your new purchase and read as much as you can here and you will be an expert and very happy with your i760.

Sneakerhead
    Thanks alot man, that ADD and unlimited data plan idea is great, appreciate the heads up.

Btw 1 more ques., Does the i760 still have a $50 MIR in box?

Quote Originally Posted by -Datdude- View Post
    Thanks alot man, that ADD and unlimited data plan idea is great, appreciate the heads up.

Btw 1 more ques., Does the i760 still have a $50 MIR in box?

Somethings you may or may not get from a pro i760 section of the forum:

You need to be ok with a horizontal slider qwerty, which I'm not (one main reason I love my i730), THOUGH if I HAVE to use one I'd use the XV6800s since it opens up easily for a right handed person..the i760 seems to be made more for a left handed person w the keyboardsliding out from the left side of the device. I think the i760 also has a cheaper build. The dpad for the i760 is much harder to control than the 6800s which is very precise. I find I miss where I want to go with the i760 but never do so on the 6800. The only 2 things I think that are better on the i760 over the XV6800 is that you can overclock it to 500mhz (so FAR you cant do this significantly w the 6800) and the call signal strength is a bit better..but when WM6.1 comes out for the XV6800 that may change.

With the XV6800 you can make your own custom roms via PPCgeeks.com, activate the internal GPS (which the i760 doesn't have at all), you have a MUCH bigger storage capacity on the 6800, better higher mp camera, way better screen on the 6800, and you retain Infrared on it as well among other things. Also I think the qwerty is easier to use on the 6800 than the i760 and if you go with a one handed software keyboard like with the happytapping bigger iPhone one its nice to use on the 6800 but difficult to use w the i760 especially with its lcd rainbow thingy going on.

Concerning the data plans I don't know if Verizon still throttles you if you go over 2 or so GBs of data (since I dropped my data plan for sole WIFI use) but thats another thing to consider. Sprint doesn't throttle at all and offers cheaper plans. No matter which device you go for though if you go with an unlimited data plan make sure you go for the newest $29 or so plan on Verizon which allows for Rev A speeds.

Im not sure about the MIR but I think they're still offered.
    Make some nice money from home:
    http://www.tvtravelbiz.com/ds9916

Sneakerhead
    Very good read for me, it changed my opinions. I mean i haven't owned a smart phone yet but from what ive read, and ive read ALOT online, the i760 is supposably better than the XV6800. Its basically a sprint mogul which ive held many times from my friend.I mean ive gotten used to it but personally i like the style and look of the i760. Though i heard some of those sleek external designs become problems such as placement of call and end keys. Im definately going to look into the XV6800 now.

I did ask about the unlimited data plan but that told us it would be 44.99 per month which i thought was rediculous

Quote Originally Posted by -Datdude- View Post
    Very good read for me, it changed my opinions. I mean i haven't owned a smart phone yet but from what ive read, and ive read ALOT online, the i760 is supposably better than the XV6800. Its basically a sprint mogul which ive held many times from my friend.I mean ive gotten used to it but personally i like the style and look of the i760. Though i heard some of those sleek external designs become problems such as placement of call and end keys. Im definately going to look into the XV6800 now.

I did ask about the unlimited data plan but that told us it would be 44.99 per month which i thought was rediculous
    I dont know what phone you currently have activated which may have only made the $44.99 dollar unlimited plan show as available, but many reps don't know what they're talking about at least in regards to Pocket PC phones so if they said that thats not surprising. Some departments you call may actually not even have that option in their menus so thats another thing..may depend on who you get transfered or connected to..but while its a real plan its ONLY something possible for newer Pocket PCs which are able to handle Rev A (3G) speed internet...ie the XV6800, and I THINK also they allow it for the i760 now w WM6.1? Not sure about that..but I know they don't allow it for the i730 or older ppcs.

Yea check both out, see how you like each, how they feel in your hand, how the dpad moves, how you like the availability of the keyboard (the XV6800 slides from the right side, the i760 from the left), weight the pros and cons of each device and see what you think at the end as far as what youre personally looking for.

I think the i730 is the best option for what I'm looking for because of its one handed vertical tactile qwerty keyboard, bright clear screen visible in daylight, faster processor (520mhz overclockable to at least 624mhz+), IR, all the hacks, accessories, 3rd party softwares, etc.. Going from this to either newer device feels like a downgrade for many reasons but if this is your first PPC then you wont have that issue. Going from 520mhz or even 624mhz to 400 is an adjustment..

As far as the newer Pocket PCs, like the XV6800 or i760, I think hands down you get more features and personalization+customization with the XV6800, but there are good things about both. Having like 130+mb (is it 150?? cant remember right now) or so capacity for storage alone is sweet, besides the internal GPS, custom ROMs, better camera, separate easily accessible switch for WIFI, better build etc. BUT there are cons to it as well..you still dont have WM6.1 JUST YET (though its expected in late July or August), cant really over clock just yet from what I can see so far (Teksoft Speedbooster really work? I dont know yet), and I think the i760 has a slightly better phone radio to name somethings I can recall. Theres also a place in the forum to ask experienced people what PPC is best for you based on what you tell them youre looking for. You could always experiment with each one because I THINK you have 15 days or is it 30 days to try out the Pocket PC(s) to be able to return it within that time period.

Verizon can (and does) charge somthing different for phones and plans depending on the region where you live.

Where I'm at (Seattle area), the i760 is currently $369 online - $70 internet discount - $50 new every two discount = $249... and that was just two weeks ago. No coupon for me in the box, either.

Despite that... I think the phone is WELL worth that price to me. It's been terrific.

As far as data plans. I haven't decided what I'm going to do long term, either. Right now I'm doing the "pay-as-you-go" per kb plan (or lack thereof... as I primarily use WiFi hotspots to download e-mail updates from my Comcast account via Outlook. Works for me, since a WiFi hotspot in Seattle is like sun in So-Cal... it's just always there.

Playing with Windows Live stuff, I might look at Verizon's middle-of-the-road $25 plan which gives somthing like 10MB over the course of the month (but don't quote me on that). We'll see. It'll depend how much I travel this coming year.

Overall, I'm paying right around $95 for two phones right now. About $30 cheaper that when I had my En-V with that useless V-Cast pack and a text bundle that I rarly used to the fullest.

Sneakerhead
    I was really hoping for a $50 MIR in the box atleast, though i heard u can get the rebate online at verizion if u enter ur UPC code somewhere

And as far as the 6800 and i760 i looked into it and since i am using this more as a hacking phone to toy with and a texting phone i prefer the i760, it seems a phone for more of the younger scene than the 6800. The NE2 i also had only $50 but today i called and made up a story that my sales rep 2 years ago said iw ould be eligable for $100 credit so she honored it and gave me $50 credit since she could not change the $50 discount to $100.

Although now my priority is the price.

Im looking at

369.99-70 Instant Online - $50 NE2 - $50 Credit = $200, $150 if i find a rebate. Im really looking to pay $99, i was considering calling back verizon customer service and see if the CSR will give me another $50 credit lol.

Dominick I am really curious about your statement about the XV6800 being "built" better. To me, compared to the i760, the 6800 feels like cheap plastic and the slider feels like the whole mechanism and springs will fly apart at any moment. The i760 just seems a lot more rugged, but that is just me.

Richard

Hey I tend to agree with Ramiss on this one. the HTC phones all seem a little less will built that the Samsung phone...IMHO.

@-Datdude- Here's the deal on data plans through verizon... they suck, especially compared the Sprint $10 plan. Here's your choices:

no data- then you use WiFi to get a connection

Per kilobyte no monthly charge but if you use it much or your phone connects on its own and you forget to turn it off it can get expensive

Smartphone/PDA Unlimited Data ($44.99) I can't believe they are still calling it "Unlimited", cause it really isn't there is a 10GB cap and they send you a nasty warning at 5GB. Otherwise they assume you are abusing the system and downloading movies or something... never mind if you spend your days on Youtube, CNN or other streaming video websites.

Tethering-if you plan to use it to tether to another computer for internet access (and you tell them) they tack another $15/mo on

$29.99 data plan-there is a data plan for blackberry's (or phones that can't connect to an exchange server) that you'll see mentioned here and there. Others have tried to get it on their accounts for their i760, but I don't think anybody has been successful at keeping it on their accounts. Verizon has gotten more sophisticated about checking what plans are associated to accounts with PDA phones.

For example their (computer) system is set to automatically add the 44.99 smartphone data plan to an account with a smartphone. Then you have to call them up and have them remove it if you want a change.
    Mark
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

I'll second the "Verizon's data plans suck" sentiment. They're really expencive compared to the compitition right now. A fact that almost steered me to AT&T this last time around. AT&T coverage isn't great in my area, though and their customer service is non-existant.

If you do go for that "middle of the road" 10MB data plan for $24.99... I highly recommend a GPRS Monitor to track your data usabe and give you a little warning as you approach your daily and/or monthly allotments. SPB makes a good one... but there are others out there, too.

As far as build quality... Samsung really makes some solid phones. I'm kin dof a hinge geek and require a QWERTY keyboard on my phones. As sliding/folding keyboard phones go, the Samsung is solid.

Check online if you havent already. I actually got mine for free. Of course I did have to talk to over 30 different VZW customer service reps first.....

i760 is a hell of a phone

Quote Originally Posted by ramiss View Post
    Dominick I am really curious about your statement about the XV6800 being "built" better. To me, compared to the i760, the 6800 feels like cheap plastic and the slider feels like the whole mechanism and springs will fly apart at any moment. The i760 just seems a lot more rugged, but that is just me.

Richard
    Amen Ramiss...

The i760 has a great build quality and the xv6800 feels like cheap junk. With regards to preferring the i730 slider on that I can agree, but trust me you do get used to the i760 side slider and the superior features and function far outweigh any tradeoffs. The i760 having a numeric dialpad on the front is a lifesaver and that one unique feature found on no other WM6 Pro phone makes it the only one I would even remotely consider.
    "We don't need no stinkin' iphones!!!" I love my Touch Pro 2..... Bleeding edge previous devices include the Samsung i760, dirrrty i730, XV6600, Blackberry 7750, Audiovox Thera, and Ipaq 5550.

Quote Originally Posted by ramiss View Post

Richard
    While the i760 is a bit heavier which would usually indicate better build perhaps more durable material, and I DO like Samsungs builds WAY better than HTCs, in this case when Im USING the devices the XV6800 seems built better in the following respects..

When I'm using the Dpad for the i760 the Dpad feels REALLY cheap, it is not very accurate as it many times goes where I dont want it to go, and when I push down on it (the dpad) the whole slider moves slightly so that it ends up kinda pinching one of the fingers I use to grasp the device.. on the left side of it. This doesnt happen with the XV6800 at all. I dont want a slider to move up and down slightly when Im using the Dpad, so in that respect the i760 feels cheaper than the XV6800. The Dpad on the 6800 is easy to use and is very accurate. It seems built with a right handed person in mind which is great for me..where as the i760 seems built for a left handed person.. That I think is just a weird design decision. Also the buttons for the XV6800s keyboard are way better, easier to use, bigger, and they have no problems with grip being lost which many have complained about alone with the keys being too small.

Quote Originally Posted by MGuzzy View Post
    Hey I tend to agree with Ramiss on this one. the HTC phones all seem a little less will built that the Samsung phone...IMHO.
    I would normally agree but what do you think of the things I mentioned? Do you find those things occurring when using your i760?

Quote Originally Posted by leemcc View Post
    Amen Ramiss...

The i760 has a great build quality and the xv6800 feels like cheap junk. With regards to preferring the i730 slider on that I can agree, but trust me you do get used to the i760 side slider and the superior features and function far outweigh any tradeoffs. The i760 having a numeric dialpad on the front is a lifesaver and that one unique feature found on no other WM6 Pro phone makes it the only one I would even remotely consider.

Superior features like what? The processor isn't faster, cant be overclocked to the extent of an i730. I can do like 70 wpm on the i730s qwerty and would go for its keyboard over any others because of its one handed ness and design. Since I text more than I talk on the phone I need this. Is it really that much of a pain in the neck to have to open the qwerty to dial a number, use Voice Command, or click a mapped button to go to the phonepad? The screen is way better on the i730, the i760 has no IR, uses microscopic SD cards, etc. If you do way more calls than texting I can see why you want the dial pad on the front but I'm curious to know what other features you consider superior?