+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Is 6.1 worth it?

Please list your opinion as well as your pros and cons. I am thinking about upgrading but I see there are plenty of negative posts on this topic.
    Nuc.

The upgrade was simple enough. The only noticeable change is threaded SMS.

threaded SMS is well worth it alone IMO. Also, there seems to be a lot less mis-type's with the landscape KB. a LOT less.

Remote desktop is worth it all by itself. Coupled with wifi its awesome (and fun!)

It depends on what you use your phone for. I am willing to bet that 70% of users don't notice anything except the threaded SMS. The rest of us have special needs (ie RDP, higher capacity storage, bluetooth fixes etc)

Having performed the upgrade, I found that my phone is more stable. It's quicker to answer and hang up. I don't use a lot of 3rd party apps because of the previous instability. Also, Verizon didn't have a chance to yank Remote Desktop on us, so that's in there and doesn't have to be added after-the-fact. I haven't found a lot of other benefits. No "vista" look or feel. It's the same thing only more stable, maybe some bug fixes. Task Manager is GREATLY improved. I think it uses memory more efficiently, I don't have the issues I had with multiple apps. OneNote mobile wasn't on my phone before, but it's pretty much a lousier version of Notepad. Unless you sync with your Office 2007 PC.

Not worth it for me. Sorry.

I use my i760 for critical day to day tasks related to my cellular supplies business. It works just fine and I don't particularly need threaded SMS at the moment. Yes, I understand that it is an improvement, but for me I just dont have the time and I can't take the risk.

It seems like yesterday (four years ago) that I bricked a perfectly good xv6600 when I was trying to upgrade the bluetooth stack. It was a simple procedure and I followed the instructions to the letter. I think it was my computer that hiccuped during the procedure, and then the xv6600 was bricked. I got a replacement but still... that left a bad taste in my mouth and I will never upgrade OS or stacks again if I can help it.

My advice is, if you can live without it, don't do it. I am a pretty tech savvy guy, but I am just real leary of these types of things. Trust me, when you look down at the phone and see a blank screen with some gibberish on it and you get that cold feeling knowing that you bricked it, the first thing you will do is curse up a storm and kick yourself. You just ruined a perfectly good phone doing something that wasn't even necessary.

Maybe its fear of the unknown talking, or maybe I just don't like trading in a new phone for a refurb through assurion. Ya gets my point.
    "We don't need no stinkin' iphones!!!" I love my Touch Pro 2..... Bleeding edge previous devices include the Samsung i760, dirrrty i730, XV6600, Blackberry 7750, Audiovox Thera, and Ipaq 5550.

Quote Originally Posted by leemcc View Post
    Maybe its fear of the unknown talking, or maybe I just don't like trading in a new phone for a refurb through assurion. Ya gets my point.

Leemcc I hear ya.. but consider this... the i760 is still fairly new, its not even been our for a year... so if you brick it you'll probably be able to get the phone covered under warranty. And there is a good chance that the replacement you'll get won't be a refurb as they have not had enough of them returned to get refurbed! That's what I found when I had to return my first i760 when they were only our for a few months.
    Mark
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

Thats cool. Believe me I am tempted, but ya know - once bitten twice shy. Plus I was reading in another thread this morning that some users are having trouble sending POP3 email after the upgrade. I send emails of that nature all day long from my handset so at this point I couldn't take the risk of this basic function being compromised.
    "We don't need no stinkin' iphones!!!" I love my Touch Pro 2..... Bleeding edge previous devices include the Samsung i760, dirrrty i730, XV6600, Blackberry 7750, Audiovox Thera, and Ipaq 5550.

Quote Originally Posted by ramiss View Post
    It depends on what you use your phone for. I am willing to bet that 70% of users don't notice anything except the threaded SMS. The rest of us have special needs (ie RDP, higher capacity storage, bluetooth fixes etc)
    I'm thinking/hoping that I'm of the 70% listed above, because the upgrade has the bejeebus scared out of me after reading all the negative replies. I might be of the minority here, but I finally have my phone working pretty well...I'd hate to screw that up. But as with any latest and greatest, I'm really itching to try it...

I don't know what to do

Just remember it is the nature of support forms like these that you will likely hear more issues and problems than successes... Your going to be less likely to post that everything went correctly...compared to if you are looking for help with an issue. You know the squeaky well syndrome...

I plan on upgrading, the process sounds similar to the WM5 upgrade on the i730 which is worth reading through for the sake of the background information. It seems like the benefits, thought few, are worth it.
    Mark
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

Here are the tangible reasons to upgrade:
    • Threaded SMS
    • RDP
    • Native Support for 2G+ MicroSD
    • Task Manager

As others stated, the phone seems to keep up when typing quickly on the keyboard.

I have so far seen no issues since upgrading (that already didnt exist), but a few new cool features/applications added.

Just one note, some 3rd-party applications may not fully support WM6.1, but the majority of them work without issue.
    i760 VZW

My advice is "Do It". Even if you do 'brick' it, Verizon will get a new one out in less than 2 business days. It IS more stable, the SMS threading is great, MOST of the bluetooth fixes work (although more improvements would be nice), and the task manager & RDP mentioned above make me far more productive than I was with WM 6.0.

On the entertainment side, youtube videos are nice and the stereo bluetooth support is great for MP3's and movies. With an 8GB card, I have alot of stuff to keep me amused when I'm stuck in an airport.

Cheers,

Art

Phone is far more stable and has a better user experience with 6.1 Follow the directions and chances are slim that you will brick the phone. You'll be reset to factory defaults, and in fact once you're upgraded do one more hard reset for good measure.. whether you upgrade or you brick it, you'll have to reinstall your apps and setup your mail, etc. anyway..

I did the upgrade because I had nothing to lose, but something to gain. It worked flawlessly.
    I used PIM Backup (free) to backup my contacts, apptmts, tasks, etc.
    My phone is excactly as before, but a little better.
    I basically did it to prove that this phone is awesome.

One more thing... IExplorer has a zoom out feature now.

I have been very happy with the upgrade. Nothing all that revolutionary, but I've noticed an increase in stability (now I only have to soft-reset every 3 days or so ) and things seem a bit snappier.

The threaded SMS - I didn't even know I wanted this, now I couldn't imagine going back to the old way. It's so simple. If a text message isn't fast and easy what's the point?

The IE improvements are welcome and if only the rendering engine was sped up it could be a half-way decent browser. (I still prefer Opera Mini for everything except those things that require IE)
    I wish they could have integrated more ideas from Deepfish.

Being a WiFi-only user one of the things I appreciate most is the improved WiFi connections manager. It will show all available hot spots!!? How revolutionary! Seriously, this was always a pain for me when out and about - having to use WiFiFoFum or PeekPocket or WeFi was a pain and it's now simple and fast.

This isn't like going from XP to Vista - more like XP to XP SP2.
    Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur

I think the upgrade has been great, but I am noticing more problems. I think the problems may be because I tether a lot while at work, so I tend to have to reset frequently due to a "modem busy" error.

I notice a few things that bother me. For instance, I will make a call, and it will drop instantaneously. I'll call the person right back, with no issue.

Another thing that bothers me, is if I don't answer a call right away, it will show up as a missed call, even though I answered it.

The ringtone issue of starting low and then getting a volume boost is still there and annoys me also.

Other than that, the improvements are welcome, I'm considering having a new phone sent to me because of these problems though. All my contacts are in Outlook, so getting them back will not be a problem at all.

For me, the upgrade to carry more than 2G on the storage card was worth it.

Ed

If you sync with 2 computers and that is important to you, stay away from the 6.1 upgrade. 2 computer syncing will not work properly after the upgrade.
    Thanks,
    Phil

I have done the upgrade and so far am pretty drawn down the middle about it... if I had to go back in time and choose again, if I wanted to upgrade or not, it'd be a hard choice.

Pros for me (most of them already mentioned):
    - Threaded SMS
    - Built in support for up to 8GB memory cards (possibly bigger?)
    - Built in Remote Desktop
    - A little snappier response
    - A little more responsive keyboard

Cons for me:
    - Ever since upgrading, any time I do a hard reset I have to get my phone reauthenticated by calling VZW, which I never had to do before
    - As much as some people report better stability, I've had a few weird random lockups that I used to never have (phone doesn't want to come out of hibernate sometimes), wi-fi sometimes turns itself on, other odd bugs
    - Battery life while surfing the internet over EVDO seems GREATLY diminished!!!! I can't emphasize this one enough, I can kill the battery easily twice as fast as it used to! I almost completely avoid surfing over EV-DO now unless I know I will have an opportunity to charge the phone, and prefer to use wi-fi now as it keeps the battery alive much longer... total reversal there!

The EV-DO and hard reset issues are enough that I would be SERIOUSLY tempted to stick with 6.0 if given the choice again...