+ Reply to Thread

Preffered Weather program

From my time reading here it seems that everyone has their personal preferred weather app for their phone. I am fairly new to the i760 so I am looking for opinions and suggestions on what program might be best. Currently I am using weather panel and I like it ok, but one thing I do not like is the radar.

I am from Wichita KS and when there is a storm coming in I would like to be able to open my phone and get a fairly recent radar image. I don't like that it can be set to update every 30min, 1hr, etc. but you cannot do a manual update when you want the most current.

If you think you know of something that would work better, please tell me. If you have a hack for a manual update that would be welcome too.

I appreciate your feedback and input.

Thanks!

Memory-Map weather radar is excellent. Only $10. Simple app and works great. Can do an auto update, and can do a manual update as well. I use it often. For forecasts I use the free app Weather To Go.

Memory-Map Weather Radar : Verizon Samsung i760 : Handango
    Last edited by wxman2003; 07-26-2008 at 06:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wmccoy View Post
    From my time reading here it seems that everyone has their personal preferred weather app for their phone. I am fairly new to the i760 so I am looking for opinions and suggestions on what program might be best. Currently I am using weather panel and I like it ok, but one thing I do not like is the radar.

I am from Wichita KS and when there is a storm coming in I would like to be able to open my phone and get a fairly recent radar image. I don't like that it can be set to update every 30min, 1hr, etc. but you cannot do a manual update when you want the most current.

If you think you know of something that would work better, please tell me. If you have a hack for a manual update that would be welcome too.

I appreciate your feedback and input.

Thanks!
    There is an update option. Are you using the stock theme? If so it's the little yellow/blue box. You click on it and it says 'Update'. I'm using the Phatfinger theme and There is a nice big update icon to choose on that one. I just used it, went to the radar and it showed a radar image from the current time.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Preffered Weather program-screenshot_1.png   Preffered Weather program-screenshot_2.png  
    Last edited by joshrys; 07-26-2008 at 11:01 PM.

I have so far tried:

- Tonaya Weather to Go (freeware, nice and basic today plug in with accurate forecasts from NOAA.gov, no current conditions)
    - SPB Weather (inaccurate forecasts, not very informative, no current conditions)
    - SBSH Pocket Weather (very nice, almost overkill, very informative, but uses a lot of memory and like all today plugins, is recommended to install internally)
    - Weather Watcher (freeware, no today plugin but otherwise very informative)

And of course, Weather Panel, which is the one I currently use and really love the most so far. Very accurate, very configurable, only drawbacks are that it's not supported by the author anymore but so far the community has come up with workarounds and fixes to issues that have come up.

IF Weather Panel ever 'dies' I will switch to SBSH Pocket Weather as it comes the closest to WP in terms of sheer amount of information.

I use accuweather.com through my browser... and Weather to go on my today screen.
    Mark
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

Live Search also does weather.

One thing nice with memory map radar is the ability to loop the radar, with different displays such as reflectivity, rainfall rates, velocity, storm relative velocity etc. One can zoom in on the radar, zoom out, and there are over 150radars to choose from around the country. All NWS radars. You also have the ability to toggle on and off highways, cities, etc. Being a meteorologist, I would have to say this is one of the best radar programs on the market. None of the other ones can come close. I just wish I would have created this software. DOH.

I have used SPB Weather for a few years and have tried Tonaya and Weather Watcher and Weather Panel.

Weather Panel is my favorite. I use Ultimate Launch and like using WP as a full-screen panel of a UL today screen. I have been able to get all the updates working in WP as expected at different times, then I've managed to break them again, so I can appreciate the difficulty you've found. I keep telling myself I'll get it all working again, but... I'm in southern California... so it's not like we have much weather.

Saw a new app from PocketMind recently (haven't tried it): Forecast Daily

I use SPB Weather - Weather 2 Go was also great for a while. The default weather data provider for SPB Weather is junk (Gismeteo iirc) - luckily I was able to change the data provider to weather.com (several other options) which is much improved.

Spb Club :: View Forum - Spb Weather Templates

I wonder what web pages people would recommend for a good mobile-compatible radar view (and generally good weather page to be viewed in Opera Mini preferably). I don't mind jumping into Opera Mini if I could get a good radar image. The "mobile" weather.com one is too small.

* Thanks lithoss that is exactly what I wanted - I wish I could find a working SPB template for WU, but for some reason the only one I have found doesn't work.

tbh the only reason I got SPB Weather is its integration with S2U2. If I could get W2G info to integrate as well I'd go back to it.
    Last edited by luca_bras1; 07-28-2008 at 09:47 AM.
    Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur

Hey, im also from Wichita KS. welcome to the boards.
    For radar, i've always just used weather underground mobile radar site:
    Weather Underground (Mobile)
    weather underground also has great forecast info.

it works great, but makes you open PIE or whatever. this memory map program looks interesting though, im going to try it out.

I use Journal Bar

I really dig the singer weather watcher...or I just text google ((wx "your zip code"))

im using weather bug on today screen, like it the best so far