+ Reply to Thread

Hard resets after 6.1 upgrade ALWAYS require reauthentication of phone??

Well this is really annoying bug... I want to see if anyone else is having this issue??

I have done many hard resets in the past on WM 6.0, and every time after doing the reset, I could immediately make calls, send SMS, etc., without even programming the phone by calling *228. I used to religiously make backups and if I ever installed a program I didn't like, I would hard reset and restore the backup, just to be sure to get completely rid of it.

I upgraded to 6.1 when it first came out, and for the most part, the upgrade went fine. I didn't have any oddball issues or serious problems, only the one issue where the process stops right before upgrading the radio version... a simple soft reset of the phone and restarted the upgrade, and it finished without any other issue. I did have to call Verizon to get the phone reauthenticated right afterwards as I couldn't make calls or send SMS.

Now, a couple weeks later I finally got to a point where wanted to perform a hard reset to get rid of some apps I had tried and didnt' like. Did my hard reset, restored to an older backup, and then, bang, no calls, no SMS. Any call I make I get "we're sorry but we are unable to authenticate your phone at this time". Call Verizon, they fix it after 20+ mins of 'troubleshooting'.

Then, just to see if it would happen again, I did another hard reset. This time, I did NOT restore any backup, nor did I install ANY software. Just left everything factory stock, and tried to make a call. Yep... still getting unable to authenticate.

Anyone else notice this???? Any suggestions? I really hate the idea that what used to be a 5 minute hard reset and backup restore process will now be a 30+ minute hard reset and call verizon to reauthenticate process!

This happened to me when I did the upgrade. The message told to me to call 8899. This got me to a tech and it only took a minute to reauthenticate.

Right... it's really just a minor inconvenience, but for me... I mean... sometimes I do a LOT of resets in a short amount of time. If I'm trying new freeware and it doesn't agree with my phone.... or sometimes you uninstall a program but it leaves remnants behind that I can't find... where I'll look at my before and after memory usage and I won't get back 100% of what I had before the install. I'll navigate to the programs folder and really look around in all folders but I never find these elusive files sometimes. Which makes me nervous... I don't know how spyware works on a PPC, but I know any program that's leaving stuff behind, I'd rather just get completely rid of it by doing a hard reset and restore a backup.

I dunno I just think this sucks... another tick against 6.1 for me. It really did get some things very right (built in sdhc support, threaded messaging), but too many bugs has me sometimes wishing I never upgraded.

Previous PDA phones I've had had different types of hard resets, and they are always not documented for the end users (gee I wonder why ). I'm sure the i760 is the same but I've not sat down and figured it out. so for example:
    Soft reset keeps all your data intact
    Hard reset clears all user data but does not clear phone info-returns the phone to the state it was from the carrier
    Hard Hard reset that clears everything including the carrier's phone authentication- returns the phone to the state it came from the factory(Samsung)
    etc
    My guess is the upgrade has changed the typical hard reset to now clear all the phone info too... I bet there is a different key combination for reseting without deleting the phone side info.
    Mark
    Last edited by MGuzzy; 07-27-2008 at 01:21 PM.
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

I updated to 6.1 and had to do a Hard Reset today. The reset went through and I did NOT loose the ability to make calls or connect to evdo or wifi. I did not restore any back up just started from scratch and used my memory card to install any programs or apps that I wanted. I was nervous that I was going to have to call Verizon but in this case everything seems to be in order. I did the basic Hard Reset, Hold the red reset button pushed and hold the center of the Dpad wait like 3 seconds then release the red reset button. This will probably just confuse the issue but I thought that i would mention it.

Another way to do hard reset without pushing and holding buttons is to tap on phone icon, then tap menu and then security. Gives you the option to clear everything.

I would assume that both ways of hard resetting would work exactly the same but I am curious when you have done your resets have they all been done by using the software reset?
    Last edited by leonardshelby; 07-30-2008 at 06:16 PM.

I've tried resetting both ways and had the same problem

As someone who would tweak and change his phone on an almost weekly basis, I do fine this very annoying. It does only take a few minutes on the phone with Verizon to get resolved, but the simple fact that I need to be on the phone with them at all is the major problem.