+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Happy to say I upgraded...

...to an iPhone. I have been disappointed with this phone for a while now. I used to have a Moto Q and loved it! It was great but since I went to this phone and WM6 it has been nothing but problems, bugs, and stability issues. I usually had to reboot this phone at least once a day.

So I upgraded to 6.1 to see if that would fix it as my last hope. But, it didn't, still plenty of bugs and still need to reboot every day.

I will miss reading this forum. Good luck everyone!

Enjoy the slow internet, single battery, apple interface (shudders), apple proprietary everything, and dumbed down PDA. You probably should have stuck with WM SmartPhone; WM PocketPC is not for everyone.

At least with a WM phone you have control over your phone, not the company that makes it.

That is exactly why I like the i760. I like having control over the phone myself and now I can't go back to a regular verizon phone. The stupid locked down interface.

Funny the amount of people that jumping over to the iPhone (and they all see so happy about announcing it - gl I hear there's a bunch of issues with the new 3G version). It all depends on what you want to be able to do.
    I am jealous of the screen size, but that's about it tbh. I think I'd enjoy a v1 iPhone that was "jailbroken".

i760 is a WM PDA with a phone tacked-on
    iPhone is an media player/web-tablet with a phone tacked-on
    Last edited by luca_bras1; 07-29-2008 at 12:01 PM.
    Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur

It kind of makes me want to make threat titled.

I Upgraded...

...my girlfriend's phone to a Moto Q. Thanks for all the advice everyone.

Considering you have 2 posts, I'm guessing you weren't a huge contributor here. I'm relatively new here myself, but at least I have more than 2 posts.

Have fun with AT&T's wonderful CS as well. I hope you never have to call them.

Yeah, I laugh at my friends who went out and bought a 3g iphone when there is no 3G within 300 miles of here. Way to pay that extra monthly data charge for the same slow speeds. You can't take a pee around here without hitting some EVDO signals.

I warned them though, so I did my part.

Enjoy! I left AT&T several years ago because their service was crap and their customer service was worse. The iPhone is an elegant device, but it is locked down and proprietary in every way. I personally love how everything can be customized in Windows Mobile.

This post just goes to show... to each his (or her) own. Everybody has different needs and desires in a mobile phone/smart phone/PDA etc.

I used a Moto Q for a while. It was reliable, but the navigation without the touchscreen was cumbersome at best.

The iPhone is BEAUTIFUL... and provided your in a 3g area, it's a sweet web browser. If your stuck with EDGE... meh. As a business tool, it fails to meet my needs as it won't sync with Outlook's mail, caladar, contacts etc. No Word editing. No Powerpoint. Nothing to sync with MS Money. Not to mention no multi-tasking. No cut/paste. The list goes on and on.

The i760 isn't as pretty as the Q or the iPhone. But for me, the i760 is a useful tool fulfilling my needs, not a shiney toy to show off to my friends.

On the other hand... MY i760 has been stable, fast, and generally easy to use (I have been a Windows Mobile user since Pocket PC 2003 - so the learning curve was relativly small). If my i760 was buggy and unstable, I might look for another device, too. That hasn't been my experience, though, so like I said... to each their own.

I almost switched from my I730 to the iPhone. Thank God I didn't. I did actually try the Dare as I would hate to leave Verizon, as there service and CS have been outstanding for the 10+ years I have been with them. It just doesn't compete, at first i was all excited for this new phone that was all touch interface and stylish (not saying the Dare is equal to the iPhone) but after a couple days I was realizing I couldn't do anything with it except change the background. I started longing for my I730 and that's when I made the plunge to the I760. All I can say is I do not have any stability issues and this phone works great for me. I think msh441 said it best - to each his (or her) own.

Function before form.
    I only wish there was a nice WM phone with a nice big touchscreen like the iphone has. I don't understand why companies are taking so long to catch up to Apple in that regard.
    Otherwise, iphone is pretty much a fashion statement with a nice internet browser.

What about the HTC Touch Diamond/Raphael/Pro?

Oh man, I did love my i730 (before I crushed it). Make the i730 a bit skinnier with no antenna with better battery life and I'd buy it again.

I like the bigger screen for its ability to display more - more of a document, more of a webpage, more of a movie etc. A touch screen is a great way to interact, but I still want buttons and a directional pad. I think abandoning buttons all-together is an interesting artistic statement, but completely nonsensical (and my goodness a keyboard Steve!? ya think people will want to type things?).
    Last edited by luca_bras1; 07-30-2008 at 12:59 PM.
    Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur

Quote Originally Posted by luca_bras1 View Post
    I think abandoning buttons all-together is an interesting artistic statement, but completely nonsensical (any my goodness a keyboard Steve!).
    Especially for people with big fat hands like me!

Heh, if getting rid of physical keyboards was such a good idea why is 99% of the world still using physical keyboards?

I have an iPod touch with the 2.0 firmware installed. It almost makes me tempted to get an iPhone... over the weekend, my phone died and I had to wait for a replacement. I used that time to research more about the iPhone and found a ridiculously long thread (so long, in fact, they had to create another thread) on the horrible reception people are getting with 3G, especially in major markets like NY and LA, my two primary places to work. Add the massively diminised battery life with the spotty 3G, and those two things alone are killer. I LOOOOOOVE the interface and the simplicity in which you can use the device, but if the PHONE can operate well as a PHONE, then it'll never be in my pocket.
    Samsung SCH-i730 -> Treo 700w -> Samsung SCH-i760 -> Samsung Omnia (SCH-i910)

I agree with "to each his (or her) own." but why post about it? Nothing to gain except stir things up.

The reason the IPhone is so easy to use is because it doesn't have all of the options that WM devices have. If WM was dumbed down to 10 icons then it would be pretty easy to use as well.

Lots of good replies. I think the iPhone is not perfect at all, but the user experience is way better. I think little by little they will open it up, as they did with the app store. That is one of the reasons I never got the 1st gen one. I have it synced up with my exchange server and it works great. Contacts, calendar, and email is fine. The only thing I can't do that I've noticed so far is the ability to send a meeting invite, but I don't remember if I ever did that with the i760.

I love Windows Mobile but for some reason it didn't work right for me. Don't know if it is Samsung, Verizon, or Microsoft, but I was unhappy and frustrated and regretted buying the phone.

I know ATT is a another big evil and I wish the iPhone was available on other carriers but they sold their soul to Apple so I gotta deal with it. I honestly can't tell the difference in speed between the 3G and EVDO in my Area (South Florida), except that websites actually load and I can use them.

Hopefully, the iPhone will eventually be as open as WM and have as many apps and tools. But for now, I'm happy with the features it has now, enough to buy it. The finesse and precision of the screen is the best I've ever used.

So you had to make a post about it?

alex, I think this is where you want to be Apple iPhone / i-Phone - PDAPhoneHome.com

Quote Originally Posted by EtherBoo View Post
    So you had to make a post about it?
    Yes. why not? I'm sure others are unhappy with the i760/Verizon/Microsoft and I want to share my experience. Is that a bad thing? I'm not saying anything bad, I wish I had a good WM phone that had a decent screen and an excellent touch interface and that came out with timely updates. How long have we been waiting for 6.1? and it still it still didn't fix a majority of the bugs that have been posted here.
    Like I said before, the iPhone is not perfect and the 2.0 software definitely introduced some new bugs, but Apple already has a beta out that it is working on, and I bet they will have a patch or minor update for it within a month, that I can download straight to my phone the SAME DAY it is available. As a consumer, this makes me happy. There are pro and cons to every phone and carrier, but at this point in time, for my needs and wants, I choose to go with the iPhone. I'm ok with them controlling the phone on some things if it means it will be stable and work. I have my own wish list of updates they need but that is not for here.

I can tell you one thing, so far I've been glued to it with all the new apps and fun things to do on there, that I never did with the i760. I can actually read websites and easily navigate that I never was able to do before. I do miss the hard keyboard, the i760 keyboard is the best keyboard I have ever used, including Blackberry keyboards.

Bye Boo Such a cute name, can I squeeze your cheek?

Quote Originally Posted by stanglifemike View Post
    alex, I think this is where you want to be Apple iPhone / i-Phone - PDAPhoneHome.com
    Sweet thanks! I have turned to the dark side. I did feel I little dirty when I first got it.