+ Reply to Thread

Addicted to Teathering

This is my first phone where Tethering has been an option for me, because I've never really had a real data plan or V-Cast. Since I've started tethering on the road, I can't seem to get enough of it. If I'm out with friends, and I have my laptop (which is normally the case), I just hook up my phone and let the games begin.

I've recently started working a job as a traveling tech, and the stores that I service rarely have WiFi. I originally started just to check my mail, but now I do everything from browse forums to chat on AIM while I wait for the work to finish (automated process that requires a tech for when things go wrong).

Just curious, anyone else find themselves using Tethering much more than they thought they would once they started doing it?

I'm addicted to Borders Books. I seem to get much more work done there then when I'm at home. I go there and tether (and avoid the ridiculous T-Mobile hot spot fees)

What program are you using to tether?

Comfortably Converged
    I own two businesses and the only internet I use at the one location is my tethered laptop. I even use it at home sometimes when our dsl is bogged down by the kids. I just use an ICS program that came with the original wmwifirouter program. Just install it to the main memory and reboot. Works by USB or BT. Very reliable. Just start the program, press connect, and then plug in your USB cable. Faster than VZAccess

Here is the file if anyone needs it. Just change the extension to .cab when you get it.
    Attached Files

I use PDANet.

Works with WM6.1 too.

Quote Originally Posted by EtherBoo View Post
    I use PDANet.

Works with WM6.1 too.
    I'm trying to figure out what PDANet provides that plain old ICS does not. I trialed PDANet and it worked fine. However, then after the trail ended I just connected via ICS and seem to get the same functionality. Or do I?

The only time I am ever out and don't have internet is when I am in my car. I do enjoy tethering while my wife is driving. It makes an 8 hour drive seem so short when you have the internet on the road.

From what I've read, ICS does not work with WM6.1

Ouch! Just sitting down to upgrade. Luckily my need for tethering is waning now that vacation season is done and I won't be needing the internet during long drives and in Marriotts that want $12.99/day for internet in the room.

ICS works fine with 6.1.

Well, the cab posted in the WiFi router thread (does that work with 6.1?) is supposed to be the one that doesn't work anymore.

I don't know, I got PDANet and fell in love with it's pure simplicity. It's the ONLY app I've purchased for the i760.

I never really got teathering working, but I didn't try exceptionally hard. What I wanted to do was get some kind of wireless ad hoc network running with 3 computers in my car and then all 3 of the computers connect to the internet thru my laptop teathered by my phone.

I know that sounds ridiculous, but it would be so funny. Has anyone gotten something like that running or know if it's even possible?

Well, the cab posted in the WiFi router thread (does that work with 6.1?) is supposed to be the one that doesn't work anymore.

I don't know, I got PDANet and fell in love with it's pure simplicity. It's the ONLY app I've purchased for the i760.
    Just to be clear, there are 2 methods in the tethering thread. The ICS method, which appears to work fine under 6.1 and worked for me, and the original Mark_A_K method, which would not connect for me under 6.1, but may have worked for others.

Comfortably Converged
    Originally I had posted when 6.1 came out that the ICS cab did not work but I figured out what I did wrong. It does work.

I tried PDANet and even bought it.. but I don't use it.. the problem is that if you have Activesync setup with Exchange it constantly disconnects you. It was very unreliable. I need mine for work so my needs are probably more stringent - well that and I can expense the tethering. the wifi router program seems to work well for the most part, but I gave up messing with that and just paid $15/mo for VZAccess.. which works fine each and every time I use it with no fuss. YMMV - for infrequent use or with no exchange sync you're probably fine using wifi router or pdanet..

I think VZW Tethering option is great and works really well except for the fact that I have to pay extra for it. So when my place got broadband I cut off the $15 surcharge and even though I don't need it I still miss it. And they tease me with an email offering a free month to turn it back on.

Tried pdaNet too but don't feel like buying that and having my conscience bother me using the bloody thing. Sprint doesn't even have it anymore so no Treo 800w for me until and unless they put a tethering option on. ICS is still there but they have it blocked via the registry disablement of NAI and forcing a PAM gateway connection to enforce the block. Oh, the blooming brochure says there's a $15/mo PAM option on the email plans, only to learn at the store and over phone that it's a MISPRINT. No Sam, no PAM for you.

AT&T sticks you with $30 additional also, it all stinks with all these tethering surcharges already. Really wish these zuits would get their heads out and open it up as an included data plan service the way these damn phones were designed to behave.

I wouldn't use the phone as an all inclusive internet connection but if used sparingly only when needed (like traveling once a month and you need a connection in a hotel room for a night) why pay them extra? If you travel all the time though and need connection 100% of the time, get one of the access cards or pay the $15. I agree the 5GB limit is sort of hogwash but I understand where the carriers are coming from. If everyone used the phones as as modem all the time we'd have serious slowdowns in the network. They're just trying to keep the network up to speed as much as possible. I sling on the i760 occasionally, stream Sirius sometimes also. I've never really looked at my data usage but I've never been charged more than the standard $60 (work account). Work pays for the $60 just to get email on the phone so I figure I should be able to use it as a modem occasionally if I need to. I don't sit here all day and browse the web with it though while at work.

I have tried both ICS and PDANet using BT. Using ICS I was not able to establish a BT connection saying the device rejected the connection. With PDANet, BT would connect but I could not get web pages to fully load stopping with out rendering any content. Anybody have any ideas about what can be done?