+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need help unlocking i760

To anyone who can help me,
    My husband passed away on the 3rd of July and we own our own company. His i760 holds all of our appointments and all of our billing. My problem is that the phone is locked and I have tried every password that we have used for other things, nothing works. The last time he sync'd the phone with our computer is the 1st week of June. I need to be able to unlock the phone to do our billing. I have talked with Verizon and they said I have to do a hard reset, but I can't because then I will lose all of that income to support myself and our kids.

Long story short...is there someway I can bypass the password or unlock the phone without having to do a hard reset?

Please tell me there is someone out there who can help me!!!

I am sorry about your loss. If he synced in June then don't you have all of that information on the computer? All of that information should be in Outlook (providing he choose to sync that info)

I wish I had better news but the "Device Lock" that you are referring to is very secure. It is meant to protect your private data in case the device is lost. I am not saying it isn't possible. Most likely the time an money involved would not make it worthwhile.

Richard

coleslaw
    I am also very sorry for you loss, I used to work for verizon. When we didnt have a lock code, i would call Samsung. Google their number and tell them your situation. They ALWAYS helped me out.

Slaw

We need to tread lightly on this! There is no way of us knowing she is who she says ect. It might be a stolen phone. So VZW and Samsung need to chat and confirm this is her phone. So nobody give any hacks for this.
    CM Stacker832/GA-X38-DQ6/Q6600/G.Skill 4GB(2x2GB) DDR2 1000 Dual Kit/EVGA 8800 GTS
    2xSamsung SH-S203B/Zalman ZM-MFC2 <--"For Sale or trade"/HIPER HPU-4B580-MS
    Microsoft VISTA Ultimate 64bit/Ubuntu 7.10/Kaspersky Internet Security (8.346)Beta Tester

Am I Converged???
    Quote Originally Posted by pailmind View Post
    To anyone who can help me,
    passed away on the 3rd of July and we own our own company. His i760 holds all of our appointments and all of our billing. ...is locked... and... nothing works. The last time he sync'd... 1st week of June.
    Please tell me there is someone out there who can help me!!!
    Sorry, hard for me to buy this but...

Your hubby runs the entire billing system from an i760/Windows SmartPhone??? Our phones are good, but not that good to store and run such critical information on without backups on a pc.

Sounds to me you need to see who someone is calling/texting...

I didn't say my husband ran the billing system from the i760. I said he had all of the appointments on the phone and since the phone is locked, I am unable to do the billing for a month.
    My husband did pass away, quite suddenly actually. There would be no need for me to know who he was calling or texting when I can get that information from our carrier cell bill.
    I am just trying to do what I can to support the children and myself that have been left behind. I understand your doubt and don't blame you. But, this situation is hard enough to deal with. I am just looking for some help.

PailMind,

Please forgive our group if we have offended you. I am sure you can understand that there are a lot of hackers and mischevious individuals out there. The reality is that many of them do not hesitate to post false stories to manipulate good people.

We are not saying that you are not legit. We just can't risk being wrong.

As Slaw mentioned your best bet will be to contact Samsung direcly for a method. I am sure if you call and write to them you will get a response.

Sincerely,

Richard Amiss

There's hacking and then there's "hacking." So long as what's going on doesn't violate a law, hacking the phone is just another way many people say "customizing." If "hacking" refers to things that flat out aren't legal or include Warez, then we don't permit that.

As to getting the data off, the easiest way to do it is simply to try syncing the phone. If your husband did this (wise, since it keeps a copy of everything on the phone), then you can probably do it on his computer. I'd be very surprised if the only place where the data existed was on his phone.

His computer should also have a copy of everything that's on the phone, since the appointments and contact information wouldn't be particularly useful on the phone unless you have a completely manual process.

If there's skepticism, it's simply because it's difficult to believe that this data only existed in the one place. So take a look at his computer, because what you're looking for is probably there. If it's not, then worry about the phone.

Will a phone not sync when it is locked? I just assumed it would, although I don't keep mine locked.

Administrator
    if the phone you are trying to get info from has a memory card, then you can insert that into a card reader to see if there is anything you can salvage.

as for unlocking the device, if you dont have the code your only recourse is a hard reset. samsung will tell you this. they will not offer any assistance in helping you unlock the phone.

as others have stated, if you are able to log into the computer the device was synced with, then you can open up outlook and read up on any PIM info there.

to0
    I take it that ActiveSync won't connect if it's locked?

Administrator
    if your phone is locked then you must enter the code to unlock the device in order to use ASync. you should see a popup asking you to unlock.
    HOWEVER, once you successfully unlock the device ASync will ask you if you want IT (ASync) to unlock the device from there on out or if you want the program to ask you each time you connect....

the backup file thats made on the PC IS viewable by anyone who has access to the profile the backup resides in... you would have to use some 3rd party program to further encrypt the PIM file stored on the PC....

Need help unlocking i760...I understand your hesitation

I am not offended by some of the comments from members of the group. I understand fully. I understand that with none of you knowing me or the situation I have been unfairly dealt personally, you would of course question my motives. I have been placed between a rock and a hard place and I am just trying to get some help to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

The last time he used ASync with our computer was the first week of June. So, the appointments that he did from then to the day he passed are only stored on his phone. That is the information that I need to get off of his phone, the appointments, so that I can do the billing for the jobs that he did. His phone is the only place where those appointments were stored.

I'm very sorry for your loss. But as this thread continues, and you don't seem to be taking anyone's advice, it's looking more suspicious.

As stated in the messages above, please try syncing the phone again. Most likely it will sync and you will have all the updated information in Outlook.

If the computer was not set to save the password for ActiveSync, then unfortunately I think you're out of luck as far as these forums go. The next step should be to call Samsung.

If you for some reason don't have access to, or passwords to the computer, that is a different issue and there are computer professionals out there that can help you from the PC side.

Edit: Out of curiosity, is it asking for a numeric password, or the more secure mixed character password? Not sure if the phone has any protection against this, but if it's that important, one could simply try all 10,000 numeric possibilities.
    Last edited by boostaddict; 08-04-2008 at 08:19 PM.

If I were you, I would just send bills to all my customers and let them dispute the charges.

After all, if the whole business was run on a WM Phone, and it has only been 2 months....there cant be that many customers.

Would only cost you the stamps to send out the bills.

Quote Originally Posted by boostaddict View Post
    I'm very sorry for your loss. But as this thread continues, and you don't seem to be taking anyone's advice, it's looking more suspicious.
    Yeah I agree with this. We can only offer what we know. You still have to do the work. Your last two responses imply that nobody has given you an answer and quite frankly it gets old.

Tell us what you have tried and what did and did not work and we can try to assist further.

I have tried connecting it to the computer for activ sync and it says that I have to unlock the device first. I have gone to the Verizon store and they have tried hooking it up to their stuff to see if they have anything to bypass the password. They told me they do not have the software. I have also talked with Verizon Technical support for over an hour trying to figure out a way to bypass the password.

I have talked with Samsung and they told me that because of the contract they have with Verizon, that I would need to call them and they would help me. Well, been there and they didn't help.

We own a carpet/upholstery/tile cleaning plus emergency water extraction company. Therefore, it is a considerable amount of income that I would be losing if I just did a hard reset.

That is why I have turned to this forum.

For those that say this looks suspicious...please google Michael Caplia and see that I am as real as it gets with my need for help with this.

You also may be able to contact Microsoft and see if they can get you the password since the OS is a Microsoft product.
    Last edited by djlactose; 08-05-2008 at 10:01 PM.

I'm afraid that there's no answer to this that gets you what you're looking for. The lock is there to prevent unauthorized access to the phone, and unfortunately that's caught you as a legitimate recipient of the phone. But short of entering the lock code, there's not going to be a way to bypass it.

Do you know if your husband synced to an exchange server on the Internet? That would be managed by someone and you can probably present them with documentation that would get that account unlocked.

But there's not going to be a way to get the data off the phone without entering the lock code. Birthdays, anniversaries, and other important dates are popular codes to use.

Sry about your loss.
    I would check over at the xda forums. These guys know these phones inside and out. I notice that majority of people on here tend to customize there phones alot and provide information for that stuff however when it comes to coding and getting around certain areas like this xda forums seem to be the best.
    I hope you can get this accomplished, There is a way, dont give up.