+ Reply to Thread
    Planet Earth, Northern Hemisphere, North America, Midwest, Ohio

Angry A Couple of Annoyances (since 6.1 Upgrade)

I have been digging, but haven't found solutions for these yet -

1. My Mp3 ringtones are not recognized by WinMo anymore. In fact, with the exception of installing the S2P Mp3 player, none of my Mp3's are associated with any known software installed on the phone. I have that little icon next to the files that shows the Windows emblem on a piece of paper. If I try and select the file directly, I get the error that there is no program associated with that filename.

2. TCPMP with the Flash bundle does not work either. I found in the "6.1 Bugs" sticky there was a link to a new beta, but no cab for installation on the phone. My knowledge of beta software installation is far from being able to associate files and delete unneeded files and whatnot (as sketchily-described in the given thread link). Are there currently any workarounds for this program? Are there additional links that I haven't found yet for the newer beta or RC?

Right now, these are the 2 biggies that are really beginning to bug me. I will add additional frustrations as I get to them - but other than that 6.1 works great!

I found also, that in WM6, I was able to "size" or shrink fonts when reading emails that come to the phone. The default font size seems way too large to read an email and I wanted to show it smaller.
    I found the setting on accident when digging around on my phone when I first got it and was elated when I customized it for my vision. However, no matter how much I dig in WM6.1, I cannot find the setting to "shrink" the viewable font.

Any help in that endeavor would be appreciated as well

TIA!

This would be better posted with the WM6.1 stuff on "Stickies" above as there are a lot there and no need to open a new thread. I am sure there are many there that can help you or concur with your problems.
    CM Stacker832/GA-X38-DQ6/Q6600/G.Skill 4GB(2x2GB) DDR2 1000 Dual Kit/EVGA 8800 GTS
    2xSamsung SH-S203B/Zalman ZM-MFC2 <--"For Sale or trade"/HIPER HPU-4B580-MS
    Microsoft VISTA Ultimate 64bit/Ubuntu 7.10/Kaspersky Internet Security (8.346)Beta Tester

How I fixed the font size in my email

I fixed the font size problem on email by editing the read_style.css file in the Windows directory. There is a thread somewhere about this, either on this forum or on the i730 forum.

I have attached my edited file, which tweaks the text sizes for emails. Download the .txt file, change it to a .css. Find the read_style.css file in your Windows directory and make a copy somewhere safe. The overwrite the one in the Windows directory the new one. Finally, do a soft reset.

You may have difficulty overwriting the file. The built-in explorer cannot do it. I used total commander.

Good luck!

David
    Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by Sparxx View Post
    I found also, that in WM6, I was able to "size" or shrink fonts when reading emails that come to the phone. The default font size seems way too large to read an email and I wanted to show it smaller.
    I found the setting on accident when digging around on my phone when I first got it and was elated when I customized it for my vision. However, no matter how much I dig in WM6.1, I cannot find the setting to "shrink" the viewable font.

Any help in that endeavor would be appreciated as well

TIA!
    Open the message, click the menu (right) softkey --> View --> Text Size --> gives you options for Largest, Large, Medium, Smaller, Smallest.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparxx View Post
    2. TCPMP with the Flash bundle does not work either. I found in the "6.1 Bugs" sticky there was a link to a new beta, but no cab for installation on the phone. My knowledge of beta software installation is far from being able to associate files and delete unneeded files and whatnot (as sketchily-described in the given thread link). Are there currently any workarounds for this program? Are there additional links that I haven't found yet for the newer beta or RC?

Right now, these are the 2 biggies that are really beginning to bug me. I will add additional frustrations as I get to them - but other than that 6.1 works great!
    Here you go, I asked the same thing a little while ago

tcpmp you-tube problems?

Sweetness...

Thanks for the replies! I am at work now, but when I get home I will try this stuff out.

However, I am worried still about the TCPMP working with WM6.1 - the link given in one the the threads, linking to TreoCentral.com, people are still saying that it fails to work.

But thanks again for the help!
    Last edited by Sparxx; 08-07-2008 at 11:07 AM.

It might be that you installed something that has taken over file associations for mp3s.

There are two things you can try:
    1) Convert your ringtones to wma or wav format and see if it makes a difference. If mp3s are associated with a different program, wma files will work. I use them for ringtones so I can associate mp3 files with Mort Player.

I can PM you a free wma converter that works pretty well if you need it. It converts between wma, mp3, ogg, and wav.
    2) Check and change your file associations with Advance Config. Mp3 files must be associated with PWMP (Pocket Windows Media Player) if I'm not mistaken. When I first installed TCPMP (before I found Mort Player), I associated mp3s with TCPMP and when I got a call, it would open TCPMP, and attempt to play the file stopping me from answering the call.

That's all I got, sorry if it doesn't work.

Looks like the font question was answered. Makes a big/small difference eh? (I agree the settings for this is not in a very logical place - I stumbled upon it myself, but I've clicked through all areas of the Settings by now digging around)

1. It does sound like something else has mp3s associated with this. (as EtherBoo explained - I'm basically repeating the same info here) To use mp3 ringtones you want to keep the WMP as the default/associated app. Perhaps TCPMP took over this association on install?

TCPMP - Options - Settings - (Select Page) File Associations - uncheck mp3

Or undo such settings in any other media player you may have installed.

2. However, uninstall TCPMP because here comes 2 options for install that will work with 6.1 and include the Flash/YouTube support. Bookmark these links as I have

I use this one:
    TCPMP new VS2008 builds for WM6.1 with FLV built in - xda-developers
    Others had success with this:
    UPDATE - TCPMP for WM6.1 Sleuth & other 3.02 & 3.03 Versions 02/13/08 - xda-developers
    Last edited by luca_bras1; 08-07-2008 at 01:09 PM.
    Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur

Ok I have taken care of 2 things so far, well 1 1/2 really:

1. I found the font setting thing and reduced it down to where it looks acceptable (1)

2. I used the newest version of Advanced Config and got the association of my mp3's back to Windows Media Player [using wmplayer.exe "%1" as the command line to launch the mp3's]. They play now in Windows Media Player, but for some reason they still are not recognized by the phone to be ringtones. (1/2)

I have created a rather large list of custom ringtones (they just have been accumulating over the last couple of years) and I don't mind having to convert them to wma IF I HAVE NO OTHER CHOICE. However, if I have missed a setting to get the phone to recognize the files as ringtones, please advise.

Also, for TCPMP, I have uninstalled my previous versions and I found also that "Pocket DIVX" is listed in my remove software list. I know I have uninstalled it and the error that comes up when I do asks that since the program does not exist, if it can remove it from the list. I tap "yes" and the program remains. This brings me to my next question - would I need some sort of Registry Cleaner to completely clean out any remnants of this old program? And if so, could that help me with my "association" issue?

Ya know.. if something is not uninstalling correctly and you think you may have a registry corruption.. why not just do a hard reset and reload everything. That would (should) also fix the ringer issue as well... In my book if I start finding more than one thing acting screwy I just reset and reload.. you'll spend forever chasing them sometimes. just my dos centavos..
    Mark
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

I know I said I'd send you the program, but it's out of date and there is a newer version available.

Free Mp3/Wma/Ogg Converter - Free software downloads and reviews - CNET Download.com

Enjoy.

Converting is not a big deal, really, you just drag all the files into the window, select the same directory, and it will spit them out with the same file names, but as the converted format of choice.

If associating the files with PWMP doesn't work, I'd probably hard reset, or attempt a reload, it sounds like it didn't load completely, and a hard reset may hurt you more than help if you have a corrupted ROM.
    Last edited by EtherBoo; 08-08-2008 at 04:44 PM.

Pretty Good Member
    Quote Originally Posted by luca_bras1 View Post
    2. However, uninstall TCPMP because here comes 2 options for install that will work with 6.1 and include the Flash/YouTube support. Bookmark these links as I have

I use this one:
    TCPMP new VS2008 builds for WM6.1 with FLV built in - xda-developers
    Others had success with this:
    UPDATE - TCPMP for WM6.1 Sleuth & other 3.02 & 3.03 Versions 02/13/08 - xda-developers
    What am I doing wrong? Neither option works for me with WM 6.1 on my i760.

If I delete old versions of TCMP and the the Skunkworks flash video bundle, install the CAB file from your first link:

TCPMP-0.72RC1-ARM-PPC-recomp-03.CAB

Reboot, and try to play a a video on the desktop youtube site, I get the following message:

“Hello, you either have JavaScript turned off or an old version of Adobe’s Flash Player. Get the latest Flash player."

However, if I then install the most recent version I've found of FlashVideoBundle.CAB (797-8 KB), I get a much more promising result.

First, I get this familiar menu when clicking on a youtube video:

"Play video
    Save video
    Linked page"

But when I choose "Play video", I receive this old message:

"VideoLoader OK
    youtube swf args not
    found"

Some of you will remember this old message from several months ago from a prior change at youtube that disabled TCPMP until a newer version of the program or bundle was created to solve the issue.

However at least this version of TCPMP, when installed along with the flash video bundle, is indeed able to play older videos that I've already previously downloaded from youtube.

I won't bother detailing the unsuccessful results with TCPMPMediaPlayer0.81RC1Beta.cab with and without the FlashVideoBundle.CAB since I don't have Resco or other high-end file explorer and the instructions in the second link explain:

“This pack contains the lates TCPMP + FlashVideoBundle + the latest AAC & AC3 Codec plugins.

This has been confirmed working by others in Sleuths forum, but you must follow the instructions implicitly. You will need Resco or another high end File Explorer for this fix because you need to be able to select the "Always use this for this file type" check box as supported in resco.”

If anyone can figure out what I and others are doing wrong, I would greatly appreciate it!

I receive the same java error with TCPMP with this new "recomp 03" version. Nor can I play existing FLV's that I have from previous downloads...

I'm still working on the other parts atm....

***UPDATE***
    I was able to get the ringtones to work again by switching mp3's over to wma. I will just save future customs in wma format...
    Still trying to figure out the FLV thing though
    Last edited by Sparxx; 08-08-2008 at 10:30 PM.

Pretty Good Member
    Quote Originally Posted by robrecht View Post
    What am I doing wrong? Neither option works for me with WM 6.1 on my i760.

If I delete old versions of TCMP and the the Skunkworks flash video bundle, install the CAB file from your first link:

TCPMP-0.72RC1-ARM-PPC-recomp-03.CAB

Reboot, and try to play a a video on the desktop youtube site, I get the following message:

“Hello, you either have JavaScript turned off or an old version of Adobe’s Flash Player. Get the latest Flash player."

However, if I then install the most recent version I've found of FlashVideoBundle.CAB (797-8 KB), I get a much more promising result.

First, I get this familiar menu when clicking on a youtube video:

"Play video
    Save video
    Linked page"

But when I choose "Play video", I receive this old message:

"VideoLoader OK
    youtube swf args not
    found"

Some of you will remember this old message from several months ago from a prior change at youtube that disabled TCPMP until a newer version of the program or bundle was created to solve the issue.

However at least this version of TCPMP, when installed along with the flash video bundle, is indeed able to play older videos that I've already previously downloaded from youtube.

I won't bother detailing the unsuccessful results with TCPMPMediaPlayer0.81RC1Beta.cab with and without the FlashVideoBundle.CAB since I don't have Resco or other high-end file explorer and the instructions in the second link explain:

“This pack contains the lates TCPMP + FlashVideoBundle + the latest AAC & AC3 Codec plugins.

This has been confirmed working by others in Sleuths forum, but you must follow the instructions implicitly. You will need Resco or another high end File Explorer for this fix because you need to be able to select the "Always use this for this file type" check box as supported in resco.”

If anyone can figure out what I and others are doing wrong, I would greatly appreciate it!
    A few days ago, for some unknown reason, I clicked on link and realized that TCPMP was working perfectly for me. Not sure what's different, can't explain it. It wasn't from doing a soft reset--I had done this before. Only thing I can think of is maybe I installed Skyfire or the new version of Sling mobile after the different versions of TCMP. Could there be a positive interaction???