+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

What web browser works best for you?

I'm curious how many people have had sucess using Picsel Browser as a web viewer. It works nice for documents and the like... but as a web browser, it's unstable as heck for me. Any mild-moderatly graphic intencive pages cause it to crash while loading (the program just closes down). Too bad, too. It looks like a pretty cool program. Sort of like MS Deepfish... but actually atainable on the open market.

Anyone else have any recommendations for browsing with WM6.1 installed?

PIE is OK... now that it has limited flash capabilities, that is. Stable for me, but the zoom ratios and page layouts stink.

The new Opera looks pretty... but seems to have its share of stability and memory error issues right now, too.

Anyone having some sucess with somthing else in particular?

Just curious.

PS to moderators - I know there's an easy answer "try the search feature"... but I think with the release of WM6.1 as well as the introduction of, and updates to, various browsers on the market, it's a legitimate question in which the answers change over time. What worked well under WM6 a few months ago isn't as relevant with today's tech.
    Last edited by msh441; 08-02-2008 at 03:01 AM.

Opera Mini for most things. PIE for a few specific sites.

Richard

PIE works well enough for me. I also have Netfront browser too.

PIE+...........

Quote Originally Posted by ramiss View Post
    Opera Mini for most things. PIE for a few specific sites.

Richard
    Same here...

Same for me.

i am really liking the latest opera builds.

diamond opera 9.5 build 1780. pretty nice... in combination with pcm keyboard.
    Treo 650 -> Samsung i730 -> Samsung i760 -> Samsung Omnia i910
    Hillsdale College- educating for liberty w/o any fed. funding.

opera mini... faster, nicer looking, uses far less data and thus, also saves battery. There are cabs floating around that install opera mini and jbed to run it that the entire install is like 1MB.

OK, I just want to confirm... Opera Mini (4.1 being the newest version) vs. Opera Mobile?

I saw the installers on the Mini web page, but it didn't recognize my particular phone. I think I'll have to download/install via my laptop when I get home uning the Sync Center.

PIE single column. Actually PIE+, but without the finger scrolling that I don't like.

OK, I've got Opera Mini 4.1 up and running.

WELL WORTH THE EFFORT IMO!!!

Not that it took too much effort, really. The only trick was getting EsmerTec JBed installed first to run the Opera Mini Java applette. Then inserting the direct link to Opera Mini, to eliminate the two-step process of opening Oper Mini through the EsmerTec java program.

Again, well worth the effort. Low memory requirements. VERY fast when compared to PIE. Extremely stable (especially compared to Picsel Browser!).

Thanks for the recommendation. I would have otherwise tried Opera Mobile 8.65. I think Mini is going to be just perfect provided I'm not accessing a flash site with imbedded videos such as YouTube.

Now if I could only change the EsmerTec "E" icon in my shortcut to an Opera "O", I'd be in like Flint!

Cool. Glad you got it working. Many users are afraid of Mini Opera because it requires installing the Midlet Manager first. Did you get it setup to run Opera Mini straight from a shortcut and did you set it up as your default browser?

I agree with you, it is well worth it and it is one of my top 5 must have picks for any WM device.

For anyone interested here is one of the many links with instructions:
    OH MY GOD-Best Midlet manager EVER on i730

Richard

Safari for the iPhone is my favorite mobile browser.

As for WM devices, I've liked what I've seen of Skyfire so far.
    -Jay
    The Fine Print:Nothing in this post (or any of my other posts) is intended to constitute legal advice or the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. For purposes of this forum, I'm just another nerd like you. :-)

surpised noone mentions the picsel browser???

just wish it had flash.
    on the bleeding edge

Quote Originally Posted by ramiss View Post
    Many users are afraid of Mini Opera because it requires installing the Midlet Manager first. Did you get it setup to run Opera Mini straight from a shortcut and did you set it up as your default browser?
    Midlet. MIDLET! What the heck did I say? Applette? What the heck is that? A candy, or somthing, right? Whatta dork!

I was able to set it up so that I have a direct link that starts Opera immediately. It has the EsmerTec "E" emblem.. but it works fine.

I have not yet made it my default browser, but I probably will. I like that it takes so little memory and loads faster than anything else I've seen. Indicated kb downloaded for equivalent screens also seems lower than anything else I've seen, too... which is good if I end up going for the limited 10MB data plan in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by iProb8 View Post
    Safari for the iPhone is my favorite mobile browser.

As for WM devices, I've liked what I've seen of Skyfire so far.
    Agreed. Safari is nice once the pages are completely loaded. But I would argue that if your stuck with EDGE, it's pretty slow. 3g is a must. I would also argue that it's the gi-normously BEAUTIFUL iPhone screen that really pushes it over the top as a web browser. I can't wait to see the Omnia, myself.

I'll go check out Skyfire, too. Thanks. Their web page makes it look very-very promicing. Beta seem like a fast and effective took running on the 6800 (I think thats what it was?). I'll be curious to see how it goes on the i760. I'll try and register for Beta 2 and keep my fingers crossed that they get back to me.

Quote Originally Posted by me2u View Post
    surpised noone mentions the picsel browser???

just wish it had flash.
    For the minute or so that Picsel Browser runs for me, it's AWSOME! Load any pages with graphics and it crashes. Works for me as a document viewer, but that's it. Is it working for you as a browser?
    Last edited by msh441; 08-03-2008 at 09:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by msh441 View Post
    Midlet. MIDLET! What the heck did I say? Applette? What the heck is that? A candy, or somthing, right? Whatta dork!
    You're kidding, right? If you're not kidding, google Midlet Manager.

I've used these:
    NetFront - old 3.x version and new 3.5
    Opera Mobile - 8.5 or whatever and now all the 9.x betas as they release
    Opera Mini - there's a single cab install on xda developers that works great
    Minimo - ugh
    Picsel

I mostly use NetFront 3.5 now. It's consistently the best for everything I do.
    I like some of the new smoothness of Opera Mobile in full screen, so I use that second most. Opera Mini is fast for actually reading news and stuff (which I mostly do on pRSS, but occaisionally...). Minimo is a dog. Picsel's nice for some things; but not for enough to use it all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by gregoryx View Post
    You're kidding, right?
    Yes. Re-read post #11. Just having a laugh at myself. Sorry if it wasn't clear enough. to see if

I'll take a look at Netfront while I'm waiting to see if Skyfire actually ever gets back to me on demo 2. Sounds like a looooooonnnnnggggg wait for most.

Opera Mini hands down. I have the Beta of Skyfire but did not reinstall it when I upgraded to 6.1 due to it's lackluster performance and failure to re-size/zoom pages correctly in 6.0.

I got the Skyfire beta but didn't install... Opera Mini worked so well for that model and NetFront and Opera Mobile were so much better for full browsing...

@#$% WinCE Devices...
    If you poke around the 6800 forums at XDA Dev, you can easily find a cab package that installs esmertec jbed simultaneously with gmail & opera mini, gives you the option to set Opera mini as your default browser, sets appropriate network permissions for the java applets, and creates Icons for opera mini & gmail.

Like most 6800 stuff, totally compatible with our Samsung. Probably the best thing to ever happen to my i760. And no I don't have a link.

Also, having played with other browsers, if you're using anything but a combination of Opera Mini (for most stuff) + PIE (for a few sites), I have no idea why.

Opera Mini is unquestionably the baddest.