+ Reply to Thread

Download SkyFire!

Hey guys, if you haven't seen the link on XDA yet or else where, I figured I'd throw it on this forum. People say it works fine, I already have my copy so I haven't tried...

"Go to Skyfire: Sign-up and sign up for Skyfire with the beta code of cnet100"

Thanks to pokerface00 at XDA

PS: Here is the link for the XDA thread if you're having problems.

Get Skyfire now!!! - xda-developers

the Beta is filled to capacity. I did as instructed, got the download link in my SMS (even said "download" in the URL), clicked it and when the URL opened in PIE, it says airline tickets cell phone deals at whatever.com.

So, they aren't giving out any more free skyfires

I had no problem signing up

I would read the XDA thread as other people have received similar things.

I love it - I was sick of the opera 9.5 beta and ripped builds. This is my new browser and it's fast as hell compared to opera and PIE. Haven't had any problems watching youtube or anything else for that matter. Opera was really pissing me off and this is such an nice surprise.

Sounds like I would have gotten my invite soon anyway because my friend who signed up the day before me got his sms/email to download two days ago. whatever, I have it now

well i def like the page rendering speed but the interface is not as easy/polished as opera mobile 9.5. i.e«« an easy way to switch to landscape. also when you browse forums on opera mobile and 2x tap to zoom it seems to almost auto fit the text on screen. iwish the toolbar would auto hide like opera too. but damn pages load really fast now. not that opera was slow... its nice to be able to use the slide out keyboard on skyfire. something i couldnt do on opera. i cant believe people in the other thread on the best browser. idk bout that?!? skyfire is nice tho. im using it now. its nice to have choices other than pie even with the spb scrolling option.
    Treo 650 -> Samsung i730 -> Samsung i760 -> Samsung Omnia i910
    Hillsdale College- educating for liberty w/o any fed. funding.

I cant get it to work with wifi.... at least, not version .5.. it wouldnt let me download .6 and yes i tried everything in the thread.

Thanks for the info. Cool browser.

worked great for me

privacy??

Isn't anyone concerned with privacy? From what I understand this program is basically a thinclient and all of your data is passing through them. Which means they essentially have a very trackable database that can all be traced to your exact cell number.

Depending on how it actually renders the pages and passes information to your phone it may also have farther reaching security issues beyond just what SkyFire would do with your information, ie if you hit a secure site, is the connection from your phone to skyfire actually secure or just the connection from their server to your bank??

From their site "No data transmissions over the Internet can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. Consequently, we cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information you transmit to us and you do so at your own risk. "

I would also question, how would a company that is providing servers for your use actually make money to survive if they don't plan to charge for the browser .....?

Here is a little snip from their site. Not much in there to assure me they won't sell all the data they collect to whoever they want.

"Skyfire uses your Personal Information (in some cases, in conjunction with your Site Usage Information and/or in conjunction with your Browser Usage Information) mainly to provide the Browser and any services you request, complete your transactions, resolve disputes and communicate with you. For example, Skyfire may use your Personal Information in order to enable us to process and validate your Browser subscription, to bill for any Services, to contact you regarding the Browser, to contact you about new or existing products and services or special offers that may be of interest to you, to process and charge any fees due, to verify your identity or customer qualifications as may be required, to detect and protect us against error, fraud or criminal activity, to enforce our terms of use, to respond to any communications you send us or to provide you with any relevant or requested information."
    Last edited by tspnews; 08-06-2008 at 06:28 AM.

to tspnews - yes, I have the same concerns. I love the browser so I use it for basic browsing. anything that requires a password to log in I use Opera or Picsel. I really wish it was more secure given how easy it is to watch video and listen to Sirius through this browser.

I tried 3 times, never worked for me.....Are you guys using CNET100 or cnet100??

I had to try twice with my same information and it works now. I love it.

Opera Mini works the same way with a proxy server. Yeah there is concern. But there is also the concern that Verizon is watching is too.

The reason they aren't charging is because it is in Beta. Once it is released, you can bet it won't be free.

Quote Originally Posted by ramiss View Post
    Opera Mini works the same way with a proxy server. Yeah there is concern. But there is also the concern that Verizon is watching is too.

The reason they aren't charging is because it is in Beta. Once it is released, you can bet it won't be free.
    actually their website and forums say flat out it will be free. i'm sure they will be offering OEM embedding like opera or some other revenue source. i doubt they'll charge for it at this point, after maintaining it will be free since day 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Tizi View Post
    I had to try twice with my same information and it works now. I love it.
    Ah I decided to try again... signed up with all the same info and this time I got the .cab. Using it now and it is very fast... some pages load about the same as Opera Mini, some much faster, but the overall browsing experience is much closer to browsing on an actual desktop. Downsides.... no tabbed browsing, high Ram usage, Some GUI features like bookmarks are very lacking. Youtube worked just OK over wifi... video choppy compared to say Coreplayer. Other flash sites like Newgrounds worked kinda iffy.

Ah well... just another free, great browsing option.

Finally got it to work!! Used my same info with the code "cnet100" in lowercase. Recognized my info and gave me a link to download . Very nice, 100x better than Opera 9.5 and plays video links better than Opera Mini. Best internet explorer that I've used yet!!

It just says "* Beta code is invalid" on the SkyFire registration page.