+ Reply to Thread

Video Players... VLC/PocketTV...

What alternative video players are people using? I want to find something that will play .VOB (Ripped from my paid for DVD of course) or .AVI (Divx) encoded... I tried VLC Beta, but the videos are very choppy... PocketTV only does MPEG and VCD...

Any suggestions?

You can convert your VOBs to MPG/AVI or any of several other formats using the free MPEG StreamClip. I use this utility to convert all my VOBs to MPGs it has the added benefit of being able to fix timecode breaks that are present in many VOBs that can cause early termination of transfers to your player.

Squared 5 - MPEG Streamclip video converter for Mac and Windows

Be sure to use the latest Beta instead of the Standard version. You can ignore the "Purchase Mpeg-2 Component", MPEG StreamClip will run the TimeCode fix and conversion without this component.
    Last edited by noseph; 08-05-2008 at 09:03 AM. Reason: Clarity

Quote Originally Posted by whs9715 View Post
    What alternative video players are people using? I want to find something that will play .VOB (Ripped from my paid for DVD of course) or .AVI (Divx) encoded... I tried VLC Beta, but the videos are very choppy... PocketTV only does MPEG and VCD...

Any suggestions?
    First off - I wonder if you've ever tried TCPMP? Admittedly, I have not tried the two you mentioned as I've never felt the need to use anything but TCPMP. If you wanted to try it I'd install it from one of these two sources from XDA which has all the plugins and codecs you'll need included.

UPDATE - TCPMP for WM6.1 Sleuth & other 3.02 & 3.03 Versions 02/13/08 - xda-developers

TCPMP new VS2008 builds for WM6.1 with FLV built in - xda-developers

You most definitely need to convert your files before playing them on your i760 as noseph suggested. The i760 does not have the processing power to play the full-sized video files - it is stuttering because it is straining to downscale the video to show on our screen.

Try the previous suggestion or Super or MediaCoder
    SUPER © .
    MediaCoder - more than a universal audio/video transcoder
    Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur

Thank you both... second one sounds like a plan... It's my first WM/Pocket PC phone... so this will really help me out.

This might be a question that has been asked before, but how do you rip the DVD to your desktop? What is the best freeware?

Just Browse the DVD in Windows Explorer and copy the contents.

I think there is actually software (paid) that will rip DVDs and convert them for viewing on a Pocket PC, but I have not tried them. Check Handango or the like for them.
    Like this I guess - DVD to Pocket_PC 5.0 (Updated) : Windows Mobile : Handango

As far as ripping DVDs - such activity is considered illegal and I feel I couldn't suggest any to you as a result. However, if your intentions are to rip DVDs you own for fair use I think if you do some searching I think you'll find some apps that would decrypt or shrink your DVDs to your hard drive for you at your own risk.
    Last edited by luca_bras1; 08-05-2008 at 10:58 PM.
    Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur

Copy and pasting in file explorer does not work, at least with Failure to Launch (DVD).

Spd Mobile DVD looks like it might do that trick, but it costs 25 bucks.

hey yall

i have .wmv

video clips that i would like to transfer over to my
    i-760

it will not play if i transfer straight over

whats the correct method to do so

I use to use DVD Shrink v3.2.0.15 (Freeware) it had not been updated since 2004 and I had a few issues with certain DVDs so I now use DVDFab (~$50). MPEG StreamClip will also rip unencrypted DVDs. I believe DVD Decrypter (freeware) will do the job also. There is also DVD Shrink 2008 - I would be careful with this site, there are indications that it may just be the old free DVD Shrink that they are trying to sell.

Thanks, I will give that a try.

K.B
    RN
    If those don't exactly work out for you either try spb mobile dvd. It's worked great for me, extremely simple to rip any .avi files to the native 240X320 size : )

my suggestion is get xilisoft video converter. it will convert anything. it's 45 bucks, but it was worth it.