+ Reply to Thread

WM 6.1 Domain Enrollment

Domain enrollment was listed as one of the new features of WM 6.1. Does anybody know anything about this? Does it automatically enroll the phone in the domain when you configure it to sync with Exchange or is there an option to "join to domain". Or am I completely off base with what I'm thinking domain enrollment should be?

You are correct. It is used to enroll in a domain on a domain controller (ie a company server)

How do you do this? Or is it done automatically when you configure the phone for Exchange?

Sorry if I mislead you. It is like exchange but has little to do with Exchange. Enrolling in a domain allows you to use the resouces of the server like a VPN.

Basically if you don't know what it is then you probably don't need it

I am more than familiar with domain enrollment and domain environments....it's my bread and butter. I'm just curious how this works with the phone. The reason I'm asking is because I have not found anything on the phone in regards to this and when I googled I found little to no documentation.

Nevermind. I just found the option in Settings -> Connections. I just hadn't poked around enough in the phone to find it.

No, you cant just enroll in a domain. You need Microsoft's System Center Mobile Device Manager 2008 (MDM).

MDM allows you to add your device to the domain, apply group policy to it, remote wipe it, enable data at rest encryption, enable or disable stuff like bluetooth, camera.. etc.. you can deliver software packages to it ala SMS. It creates a full time vpn tunnel back to your network so you can access internal resources.

It's also like the Blackberries where you grant somebody access and supply them with a temp password... they enter their email address and that password and the process kicks off from there...

It's totally independent of Exchange so you can do it to devices that are just stand alone PDA's as well, or if you used another email vendor.

It seems pretty sweet, we just started to look at it since the i760 is pretty much the first VZW pda with 6.1 (which MDM requires)
    Last edited by Dorf; 08-06-2008 at 10:16 AM.

Thanks for the info. I actually just got done watching the System Center Mobile Device Manager demos on M$ site.

It does seem pretty sweet...but a bit overkill unless you have a bunch of mobile users in your organization.