+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New WM 6.1 GUI

New WM 6.1 GUI

According to microsoft the new WM 6.1 was going to have a new "vista-like interface". I have yet to see this on my phone. I even found this demo video on Microsoft's site that shows off the new interface here: Windows Mobile 6.1 | Update your Smartphone from Windows Mobile 6

Am I missing something? My theme is set to the Windows Mobile 6.1 theme but it looks just like the Windows Mobile Green theme. And so far I have not found any option to "turn on" the feature of this so called "Vista-like interface".

Today I found another article that gives details on modifying SlidingPanel.home.xml file. Here is the article: Customize your Windows Mobile 6.1 sliding panel interface

Maybe I'm just missing something but I can't even find the files this article is talking about. When I browse to the appdata directory there is no "home" folder to find these files in.

Any ideas? I really hope you don't have to go through all this just to get the new interface. All of the other new features of WM 6.1 are neat...but for the trouble I went through to get my i760 updated...I was really hoping for a little more "wow" in the visual area of this update.

OR....is this a limitation of the vendor. Do only the AT&T phones get this cool interface and the Verizon phones get slightly warmed up left overs?
    Last edited by mofohead; 08-05-2008 at 03:42 PM.

This is addressed up in the 6.1 stickies up above. (I'd recommend all new 6.1 users read through all the stickies and search around for more info).
    Because were lucky enough to have WM 6.1 PROFESSIONAL MS deemed it unnecessary to provide us with the new GUI ...

I understand these are business-centric phones, but I don't see why we shouldn't be able to ad this if we wanted. I hope someone is working on getting this to us.
    Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur

Thanks for the info. This may have been addressed in the stickies but there is a hell of a lot of info on the WM 6.1 update in the stickies. I have been reading through them and the only reason why I bothered with this post is because the only information I found on this topic so far was a couple people asking why the didn't have the new GUI but there were no replies.

I think the decision they made was that most people who use WM Professional already make use of a lot of Today Screen plugins and might not want anything to change. Those plugins are VASTLY more powerful than the "panels" of WM 6.1

Whereas, historically there's very limited selection of useful today plugins for non-touch screen phones. ....and the people that use that kind of phone are the people who want the "cool factor" more than the actual power.

It does make sense.

Yeah, that does make sense.

Don't get me wrong. The new features are nice but when I saw the demo video I thought "cool...we get a new appearance to the display as well". But I was mistaken. Thanks for the info.

Im prolly confused, but the video from the MS site "seems" to be showing the new UI for smartphones. I cant see how that today set up would benefit someone with a touch screen.

ON the MS site linked above, click the linky "compare versions of windows mobile".

only "non- touchscreens" get the "sliding panel homescreen".
    Treo 650 -> Samsung i730 -> Samsung i760 -> Samsung Omnia i910
    Hillsdale College- educating for liberty w/o any fed. funding.