+ Reply to Thread

Questions from a newcomer

After reading several posts in this forum I thought this would be the place to ask a few questions of my own. First, how can I tell if I have WM6.1? My phone's about screen reports the following: WM6 CE OS5.2.979 (Build 17233.0.1.1)
    If this is WM 6 and not 6.1 how or where can I upgrade? From what I read it seems this upgrade allowed the use of SD cards larger than 2 GB? Is this an accurate statement? I was under the impression that the device could not handle cards larger than 2 GB and I would really like to put an 8 GB card in. Next, what format are the standard ringtones (wav, midi)? If they are wave files is there a size limit to use them as ringtones? My work phone will not use files bigger than 120 KB. Thanks in advance.

Check out this FAQ sticky - WM 6.1 for i760 Officially Released--FAQs & General Info

For more information check out the 6.1 stickies above. It sounds like you are still running WM6. You can definitely use larger SD cards once you upgrade (or if you stick with WM6 there is a "hack" to be found here to allow for you to use 4GB cards)

As far as ringtones are concerned wavs should work, but I use mp3s. I'm not sure if there is a size restriction (I don't think that there is, but you don't want too large of a file anyways)
    Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur

What luca said... I have found that there doesn't seem to be a limit to the size of a MP3... it just plays it with the built in sound engine... I know the early Palm PDA phones had a limitation to the size. there is probably a function limit to how "long" you want a ringtone to be.. I would guess the full version of Ina-Gadda-Da-Vida would not be a good choice... (ooo.. did I just date myself)
    Mark
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

There is no restriction on the mp3 size or length of the song. However, as a ringtone, the device will only play about 30 seconds and then repeat.

First; to Mark...I just listened to In-A-Goda-Da-Vida on my way home from work on Monday...lol...love the drum solo. Second; thanks to all of you who answered my questions. Truth be told I could have researched these answers so I thank you all for saving me much needed time. Also, I am quite impressed by the quality of responders and responses. Although I am new to this forum I have been on the net for twenty years (I've dated myself twice in this post) and have seen my share rude behavior, obnoxious flaming answers and so on. Anyway I am impressed by the way this forum is handled. I know I have more questions but the immediate question(s) are can I upgrade my phone via Microsoft? And, if I upgrade my phone will Verizon balk if they find out when and if I have to call for support? Thanks again

No, you can't upgade the operating system directly via Microsoft. Verizon had a link to the update, so it should be a "supported" update, although "support" may be too strong a word...
    -Duncan

"If it can't be expressed in figures, it is not science, it is opinion" - R. Heinlein

I would recommend first using the patch to get the hi cap memory cards to work. There is a pretty good chance that upgrading to WM6.1 will cause you new problems with your phone.

If you search the forum you will find the link to get the file that you use to make your 760 able to read the hi cap cards. I used it and it worked great.

Thanks again..I am going to try the patch

Interestingly, I installed an 8Gb card, unaware that tehre was a limitation on my my new 6800 (I'm running 6.0 - US Cellular). It's registering the full 8 GB ad seems to be functioning fine.