+ Reply to Thread

WM 6.1 install problems using Vista Ultimate 64-bit

I installed WM Device Center for 64-bit and it recognizes my phone. I tried running the WM 6.1 upgrade tool for Vista and it says that the WMDC isn't initialized on my machine. I think it's a 32-bit/64-bit problem because on the page I downloaded it from, it says it's for 32-bit systems. Is there a download out there for the WM 6.1 upgrade for 64 bit? If there is, can you post it for me? Thanks for your help!! It's much needed!!

I tried the upgrade on Vista 64 bit and could not get it to work, no matter what I did.

I had to use Vista 32 on my other machine to make it happen. 64 wouldn't see the phone at all for the upgrade.

Hopefully you have access to a different machine.

did you ever get wm6.1 w/ your 64bit version of vista? links?

I knew better. Been running 64bit Vista at home since Jan 2007. I used my XP Pro machine at work, and still had the recognize hiccup. 2nd try worked fine.

yah i heard about running the install twice. but as far as the 64bit vista goes, there is no installation link. only 32bit versions of vista. anybody do a install w/ vista 64? links?

Not fair!

I just purchased a used i760 on eBay since my old Smartphone is getting buggy and I'm not due for a Verizon upgrade for awhile. It's been awhile since this thread was active.....So nobody has figured out how to upgrade to 6.1 w/ 64-bit Vista, yet? Is it just me or does that seem strange that Samsung wouldn't provide upgrades for both? I just bought a new computer and it came w/ 64-bit (I didn't upgrade to get it), so I would assume a lot of people have the 64-bit version. I could bug a friend to use their computer, but I really wanted to get this thing up and running by the weekend. Anybody have any suggestions? Thanks.

I tried it on 2 different machines running Vista 64, and I couldn't make it work at all.

I'm guessing whatever driver communicates with the phone just doesn't function correctly. I'm very computer savvy, so I'm confident it wasn't something I was messing up.

Considering even when the upgrade "works", it often takes 2 tries (or in my case what seemed like 50), a non-functional 64bit option doesn't seem too crazy.

If your friend is willing, I would go that route. Another option would be to install XP or Vista 32 in a virtual environment on your own machine.

I ultimately used a 32 bit version of Vista that I had on a 3rd machine. Good luck.

Even though I thought Vista would automatically update drivers, my 760 would not communicate until I installed this patch Download details: Windows Mobile Device Center 6.1 Driver for Windows Vista (64-bit) That being said I did the OS update from my XP machine <fwiw>