+ Reply to Thread

Bandwidth Use Limit with "Unlimited" service plan?

What is this I hear about Verizon shutting you down if you use too much bandwidth - a Bandwidth Limit on their UNLIMITED option? I asked two V reps if there was ANY kind of data / bandwidth limit with the unlimited plan and they said "absolutely no limit".

I am considering closing my regular ISP and just using my cell for my internet use but I don't want to get my account shut down. Yahoo Phone works great for incoming calls when the phone is hooked to the computer, and the monthly fee is the same as my ISP is charging me for a 700k connection.

So far I haven't found the way to be able do cell phone calls while connected to the web other than using Skype or Yahoo Phone.

It's unlimited with a 5 GB limit.

Quote Originally Posted by newps View Post
    It's unlimited with a 5 GB limit.
    which....is........not...............an..................unlimited............................plan. It is a 5 gb limited plan.

So much for using it as my main web access. I do 5 gigs in less than a week sometimes with work files.

Just for fun, I talked to 5 Verizon reps today and everyone said there is NO limit to the amount of data you use, though I do believe you that that their so called "unlimited" plan does indeed have a LIMIT.

Yeah, there are reports that some people have been restricted to slower speeds for exceeding 5 GB. Oddly, Verizon advertises this as unlimited data for the phone, but their website states 5GB as the limit on the PC modem cards.
    -Duncan

"If it can't be expressed in figures, it is not science, it is opinion" - R. Heinlein

Yes that is the way they word it, it is unlimited on the phone, but as soon as you tether it then you have a 5gig limit for tethering. I double cked that my self because i upload my photos to my lab and some days i will send 3gig in one day.

I was told the same thing. It's an unlimited plan with a limit of 5gb. they didn't tell me if it was over a week day or month. i'm assuming it's a month. i wonder if I can file a law suit for false advertisement?

no, you can't. its stated right in the agreement thing. if you read the part about the data plan it says its got a 5gb limit to prevent p2p and crap like that

If you hit the 5 gig limit and do not have tethering on your account they turn off your data. According to the phone contract you really aren't allowed to use the data connection for anything other then email, which makes it impossible to exceed 5 gig a month.

impossible to exceed 5GB a month?

You should see the attachments that customers send me sometimes.

is the Sprint unlimited plan the same way with the cap? because once the HTC Diamond/victor comes out, I may leave verizon and thier stupid crippled diamond

On Verizon's site now you can't get the "unlimited" plan anymore. It's called the 5GB plan. I checked my usage with the #DATA and it sent a text message telling me I've used 2327 Kilobytes as of last night. The data comes from august 1st to last night. I use WMWIFIROUTER and Sling a lot and I know last week I had the Slingplayer up for at least 2-3 hours one day. How can I only be at 2.5 megabytes? At that rate, I can't see how I would ever go over 5GB?

I did some more testing and I am wondering a few things and how other members use their phones. I ran the slingplayer yesterday for 30 minutes straight. That's the only real data I used yesterday besides the little bits and pieces for Good Mobile Messaging for emails and such (I had that disconnected most of the day while at work anyway). I did another #DATA this morning and I am up to 59386 Kilobytes (about 58 megabytes). Today I will try WMWIFIROUTER with a laptop and surf there for about an hour, watch a Youtube video or two, etc and then tomorrow check the balance again. There are a lot of people complaining about 5GB limits, but I am having a hard time figuring out what apps you're using that take up so much bandwidth? I know if someone tried to use the phone tethered as their internet connection 100% of the time, downloaded some mp3's or torrents then you could easily blow thorugh 5GB. I'm on board though that when Verizon said Unlimited they should have meant Unlimited. I hear T-Mobile's plan that is $20 is truly unlimited now?

Last month I downloaded multiple shows talked with skype and just other nonsense because our home isp was down almost 2 weeks. I was amazed to only have used 1.5gigs!

How to gauge usage?

How would one gauge how many gigs their internet usage accumulates? If I'm using the tethering for several hours a day, watching some television programs and browsing sights like wikipedia, about how much data will I be downloading? Is there a formula for this?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by longhand View Post
    How would one gauge how many gigs their internet usage accumulates? If I'm using the tethering for several hours a day, watching some television programs and browsing sights like wikipedia, about how much data will I be downloading? Is there a formula for this?

Thanks
    I just log on to my account on the Verizon website and check my data usage, then convert the MB's to GB's.

you can hit #DATA Send on your phone and it will send you a text message with usage. Do that today and then go ahead and browse and do whatever you normally do and then dial it again tomorrow and compare the text messages. I watched one show for 30 minutes via sling and it was like 55MB.

Hey guys! Check out post #70 on this thread:

http://www.smartphoneforums.com/foru...ch-8-15-a.html
    If you have any questions at all feel free to PM me, or email me on my personal account. nathan.burlison@gmail.com
    Also, please feel free to call me at my store anytime, (314) 291-8699. Just ask for me.

Nate