+ Reply to Thread

Phone won't auto sleep (standby)

I have read a lot of posts and did not see my issue. I have upgraded to WM6.1 on Tuesday. Out of nowhere, my phone stopped going into sleep mode when it is supposed to. I also noticed, that my blutooth led continues to blink when I manually put the phone to sleep (it didnt blink before). The blinking light does not bother me, however, I noticed, my battey now drains in a day. My phone does not have any third party apps loaded, just a plain ol' i760. Can anyone shed light?

Stress and anxiety can cause that. Try not having any caffeinated beverages for at least 2 hours before bedtime. That was not helpful at all was it?

Seriously though, my Bluetooth light blinks when the phone sleeps, and always have. From the sound of it, possibly a lot of little settings have changed. But check Start>Settings>Power>Advanced... does it all look ok? (Sanity check)

Yeah, my phone has stopped turning itself off after the set amount of time. Sometimes it does it though, and i can't figure out why. I'm still trying to figure it out. I think it started when i upgraded to 6.1, but I can't be sure. One thing is for sure, after I upgraded, my signal bars are constantly fluctuating looking for a signal. I never had this problem b4. Maybe what's happening is the phone is looking for a signal and therefore the phone stays on trying to fine one. I don't know. it's just a thought

yea my phone stop going into sleep mode too, but i had some 3rd party software that i had uninstalled.. sync your contacts and try a hard reset if ur still having the issue, thats what worked for me

There is one sure way to fix almost every problem with these devices:

1) Hard Reset. If the problem persists then get the device replaced.

2) If the problem went away then install 1 piece of software at a time and confirm that the problem has not come back before you install 1 more. Keep doing this until you find the conflicting software.

Do you mean that press the LCD button and it only allows you to turn off the device (instead of turning off the LCD screen)? I just pulled out the battery and turned it back on. Hope that helps!

I occasionally have the same problem. If that occurs, I notice it because my battery gets very hot. Usually it happens after surfing the internet. Sometimes I can just close all of the open programs using the task manager and sometimes it takes a soft reset. Then if that doesn't seem to help then I pop the battery out and put it back in.
    It is kind of fun to try the impossible.

No 3rd party apps on my phone and it's not a hot bettery. I also dont surf the net that often. I can say it is very random. I did a soft reset today and it did it. I thought the soft resets were supposed to fix problems, not cause them.

ckotten,
    I am not talking about the button on top of the phone. I'm refering to the internal timer that automatically shuts the screen off (not dim).

gary1218,
    On occasion my blutooth light will continue to blink as well.

I think what baffles me is the battery drainage. When I have this issue, my battery drains extremely fast. If I look in task manager, everything will be turned off. Very odd

Maybe I'm being picky, but I'm very close to switching phones.

Sounds to me like a registry or OS boot issue. Have you tried a hard reset? That would most likely fix it. If not then it is hardware related.

I actually have that same problem. I had the phone for a day or two before I updated it to WM 6.1, and now I have to manually turn the LCD off. It went into sleep mode fine before that. Grr...It kills my battery. Let me know if you figure out fix!

slimrod - Did you change your broadband connection to "My Work Network" from "My ISP"? If you did, then you probably have a pics message in cue. I switched mine over to keep the phone from using the Verizon network and only look for wifi when I am close to a hotspot. When someone sends me a pic message the phone knows data is there and will continue to try and retrieve it. Of course it doesn't tell you this. Once you switch back over to the "My ISP" network it will download as normal and go back to sleep. If you already have "My ISP" listed in your network then sadly I cannot help

Batoidea,

It appears you were right. I switched it back to "my ISP" and had my mom send a test pic. Sure enough, It came through. Thats too bad, because I too made it so my phone wouldnt connect to verizons network. I'm just scared I would have a massive data usage bill from something that connected without my knowledge.

ckotten,
    still no fix to the issue. However, I have noticed that if I just leave the phone alone, the problem fixes itself (after draining half a battery of course). The last time it happened, about five hours later the phone went into stanby mode on its own and battery stopped draining. I don't know what the problem is.

have you done a hard reset yet?

Hi, I have an answer. I will type slowly so all can follow.......TRY A HARD RESET!!!

*sigh*

ramiss,

calm your nerves...lol. I apologize for ignoring you...I have done two hard resets since this first started heppening. Yes, it does fix it. However, it happens again. The last hard reset I did, the phone did it about two days later. So while the hard reset is a "quick fix", it is not curing the problem. Remember, I do not run any third party. So something else is happening.