+ Reply to Thread

storage card wiped out!

Went to run TomTom tonight navigating around Chicago and the program would not run. Error said "invalid certificate or part of the program missing" when I opened File explorer to see if I could find cabs to reinstall TT, the storage card is completely empty of files. I had tons of photos, some other programs, and TomTom with full maps on there. I did noting to the phone. Any idea where all those files went and how? Wowser! I did upgrade to 6.1 a week ago and have used TomTom and other programs since. But could this be a clue? Wow! Got a lot of rebuilding to do here... any chance things are there but 6.1 suddenly cannot access my 2Gig card? I have popped card out several times and also reset phoe at least 4 times... Thanks...

Producer/Engineer Composer/Musician Toph's Avatar
    If you haven't yet written anything new to the card...A program like testdisk for your PC is about your only hope for data recovery, afaik.

Hope this helps...
    Peace,
    Toph

This happened to me twice since upgrading to 6.1. I believe both times were when I uninstalled phonealarm. It also did a hard reset of the phone both times.

Mike

Wow... but i did nothing to the phone... strange... i really suspect the upgrade on this one... c

any ideas how or why this could happen?

Did you enable encryption on the Storage Card (either on purpose or by accident) prior to the upgrade? WM's encryption is really pretty ugly and I've seen it make a card unusable for a variety of dumb reasons - like updating the ROM.

Most likely it's the card

There are many programs that can rescue the data - do a search on "data recovery". Hopefully just the FAT got damaged and no data. DON'T use the card until you've downloaded a recovery program and run it. You'll probably loose the names of the files and will have to rename them, Most likely cause of failure in WM is that the card was formatted in FAT32 instead of FAT. WM only supports FAT. Good luck.
    Regards,
    Kurt

This also happened to me after the upgrade. I don't keep much besides music on the card anyway. It was a bit frustrating but not a huge deal.