+ Reply to Thread

Thread: tethering

tethering

Ok got my new data plan down to 29.99 now considering tethering option for when I am away next week on vaca.

I am now on window mobile 6.1 also.

I have tried going with some of the other .cab files to get the tethering to work without the vz plan however was not successful. Does anyone have the newest instructions and .cab files for this. I really don't want to shell out money if this can be done for free.

Don't respond with do a search or anything like that. I have read through a bunch of search pages and everything is all messy as to what to go with. I just need a simple solution of what is working right now with the updates installed.

Have you looked at WifiRouter? It is the best thing since sliced bread.

I looked a while back but looking now theres tons of posts to find the correct one... Can someone with 6.1 hook me up with the propper cab file with configuration instructions... or just the .cab file would be nice

Where would one find WifiRouter? I cannot find it. What does it do? Does it let you tether without paying Verizon? That would be great!

The stickies at the top of the forum are a good place to start. There is one labeled WifiRouter. Google is also an excellent resource to find almost anything.

WMWifiRouter - Consumer

The latest version is a paid version. One time fee. It works without the VZW tethering option, so there is no monthly fee.

Do you need the ics .cab file as well. I tried the Trial version which came up with the fatal error so Im guessing I will have to buy it per the user discussion up above. $29.99 which is better than $15 a month per verizon. Just want to make sure all i need to do is install it.

I can't remember if 6.1 comes with ICS or not. If not then use the ICS patch from the stickied thread.

You also need to use the very latest version of WifiRouter, which is 1.09. It has a fix for us 6.1 users that was failing in 1.05.

I can confirm that it works, I just can't remember if I had to install ICS or not.

Have you tried PDA net from June Fabrics? Works Great for all 5 of my family members
    PdaNet -- Use your Treo smartphone as a Wireless Modem for your PC

I just downloaded pdanet however everytime I go to connect it connects and then doesnt get me to the internet and disconnects right away. Is this standard for not having a licensed copy? As in when I do buy the license it will work?

You have a 7 day trial after which they lock you down if you don't pay. Worth buying though it's a great little program provided VZW, Sprint and all the others don't start locking it out. (I haven't bought it yet, trying to see if I can "legally" tether on a cheaper data plan first.) So if you are not connecting and you do have valid data access on your phone, try downloading again, and make sure you have the correct version for your operating system. Most people seem to have no trouble with it and it is normally easy as pie to get it up and running.

How can VZW lock you out? How can they even tell the data is going thru the phone and into a laptop? I have PDA Net and it works great.

I know you said "Don't say search," but there is a thread here called "tethering" with a method that works quite well and for free.

Since ICS by itself works fine for connecting the i760 to a notebook, I'm trying to figure out why add wifirouter or pdanet.

Is is simply to connect without the cable so you can connect wirelessly? If so, are the speeds the same with and without cable?

Anything else I'm missing that wifirouter or pdanet add?

Wifirouter on i760??

That link discusses ICS on post 136 through 138. ICS and a usb cable is all you need. Post 136 also gives you a link to pick up the ICS cab. Post 138 gives instructions how to install and run ICS.
    Last edited by leonardshelby; 08-25-2008 at 12:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by leonardshelby View Post
    Wifirouter on i760??

That link discusses ICS on post 136 through 138. ICS and a usb cable is all you need. Post 136 also gives you a link to pick up the ICS cab. Post 138 gives instructions how to install and run ICS.
    Yes, I have ICS running just fine which is why I am asking why add (and pay for) wifirouter or pdanet? What are the benefits over just ICS?

Quote Originally Posted by JonV View Post
    Yes, I have ICS running just fine which is why I am asking why add (and pay for) wifirouter or pdanet? What are the benefits over just ICS?
    I don't understand it either. I ran a speed test on mine, and it's just as fast as others who are using software you have to pay for. And actually much easier to use. The only thing I can guess is that before samsung released the usbmodem driver which just came out a little bit ago, it couldn't be done so there weren't any other options.

Why pay instead of use ICS? Well, the question is purely one of economics and profit. VZW intentionally left ICS out to protect their tethering service over Modem Link. PDANet, wmwifirouter, et al. offered 3rd party alternatives that circumvented the tethering fee. Now an enterprising hacker manages to make ICS installable as yet another option, with (wmwifirouter) or without (cable) wireless support. It's simply a matter of choice in the marketplace, legal or not as the case may be.

I prefer btmodem. PDAnet is ok but I can't get it to work over bluetooth. I need to use BT because the battery life isn't so good if I tether via usb.

anyone have the link for the btmodem.cab file?
    Im interested in trying this out... I have the ICS working and love it. However if it is going to drain my phone constantly and quicker I am all for trying through bluetooth provided there isnt that much of a speed decrease.

Also using ICS for some reason I am only getting around 200k down... I should be in decent EVDO network however I will try soon up in a bigger city and see if its any different.