+ Reply to Thread

Opera 9 mini and Java

Is Opera Mini an option? How do these phones do with Java installed? Opera responds that the i760 is not compatible with Java!

My interest is in choosing a browser that works with a tiny screen, so I am open to alternatives.

Jonathan

Opera mini works just fine and is a popular choice. You will need to install a midlet manger. A simple search on the forum will provide all of the info.

I couldn't imagine what all the fuss was over this browser. I installed in the other day and I don't know how I lived without it. It is AMAZING!

Quote Originally Posted by aadam101 View Post
    I couldn't imagine what all the fuss was over this browser.
    I agree. It seems that many users are terrified of it because they need to instal two programs instead of just one.

Ramiss, I assume you mean to search for "midlet manager" not "midlet manger". I always heard Opera was great on small-screen devices so I was surprised and bummed to see the Opera site reply that "We see that you have requested the browser for the Samsung i760 which is incompatible with Java and therefore Opera." -- or words about like that.

Glad I can use it! Thanks for the quick responses.

Jonathan

BTW, I had searched for Opera before posting and found NO references to getting around the Java requirement although there were several people who listed it as their browser. I thought perhaps they were using an older version, as I know 9.5 is very recent. I'm off to do the "midlet manager" searching now...

Jonathan

I was sold on Opera Mini. It's fast... stable... doesn't take up much space... and as it's running though a proxy server, doesn't download huge amounts of data to provide a pretty nice browsing experience.

After trying Skyfire Beta, though... nothing else comes close. All the plusses of Opera Mini, with the addition of full Flash, imbedded media and other desktop-like functions. It's awsome!

I have always installed Opera Mini 4 using the instructions found here.

OH MY GOD-Best Midlet manager EVER on i730

can you post a link???
    for OM >>

The thread I referenced above contains a the link to Opera Mini.

I tried following the instructions in the link given below, but had trouble finding the right version of Opera Mini. It seems that the Samsung i760 is not listed on their supported phone list. Am I missing something? What phone should I select?

When I tried to download directly from the phone, it found a version of Opera Mini that works, so I guess I no longer need to know what phone to select. I am still curious and would like to get the cab file if anyone knows how.

It is not officially supported by the i760 but it works just fine. I have had no issues at all.

I am using the Java software Jblend off the Samsung i900 and it works very well.

Opera Mini works fine on the i760.. I use it now.

First, download the Esmertec JBED program from your phone and install. This is the java manager you need to run opera mini.

http://tinyurl.com/32hhzg

Now, go to Opera Mini site from your phone. Choose the link that goes to older or other versions.. why? Because otherwise you'll have to hit OK to a couple of warnings every time you use the thing.

When you go to the link to download other versions, get the one signed by Verisign. The first time you run the program, choose the "always" option and you're all set.