+ Reply to Thread

i760 internal gps working...to an extent...

I did a search and couldn't find anything that fit this, so I apologize upfront if repetetive. BUT.....

someone smarter than I, please explain:

Google maps locator does not work. So, gps is not a function of the 760. WELL, if I take my phone, using ICS and wmwifirouter, and use my ipod touch on my phones signal, I get gps on the ipod touch working perfectly? I have used it time and time again while just sitting in my house, walkin around the city and even driving from St Louis to Chicago, and without fail it works perfectly???

This seems to give me hope!!

Nate
    If you have any questions at all feel free to PM me, or email me on my personal account. nathan.burlison@gmail.com
    Also, please feel free to call me at my store anytime, (314) 291-8699. Just ask for me.

Nate

Not that I know that much about it, but for what it's worth I know that the Google Maps and live search do not use internal gps, but use cell tower information. which is why you can't use google maps on wifi, only data access.

/shrug

I've always thought there should be a way to access it because the ability is there, as it broadcasts a gps signal for emergency calls right? unless that also uses cell towers...

true,I guess I wasnt clear. I do know that the gps in the phone is through cell towers, which is why the maps function on the ipod touch generalizes and is not pinpoint accurate. But even still, if the touch can pull the info that the phone gets and use it to approximate location, what needs to be done in order for our phone to do that?
    If you have any questions at all feel free to PM me, or email me on my personal account. nathan.burlison@gmail.com
    Also, please feel free to call me at my store anytime, (314) 291-8699. Just ask for me.

Nate

The iPod isn't using GPS. It's using IP address information and a database of WiFi networks that are visible, if memory serves correctly. It's a correlation of available data gathered by the WiFi interface by seeing different APs advertise their existence and location data provided by the IP address that the iPod hits the location server with. It's not receiving any location data from the phone at all.

If Google Maps isn't reporting the phone's location properly, then either the tower isn't reporting the information or the phone isn't processing it correctly. But it's completely unrelated to the location service provided on the iPod platform.

Dumb question, but how would that work then when I am located on a highway in the middle of Alton Il, where the closest house is over a mile away? Were talkin cornfield america!!!

Nate

Great question, to which there's no intelligent response without firing up a machine and seeing what it sees. But I know of no iPods that contain any other technology and don't believe that the i760 will report location data that's more specific than what it recovers from the tower to the iPod.

Odd, but that's the technologies that are in play.

This magic is courtesy of Skyhook Wireless and uses the broadcast signals of WiFi access points to triangulate your location. It’s called WPS, WiFi Positioning System. This video is a very good high level introduction to the technology. Skyhook has an introductory page about the technology as well.

Quote Originally Posted by intellax View Post
    Not that I know that much about it, but for what it's worth I know that the Google Maps and live search do not use internal gps, but use cell tower information. .
    what is disabled in the i760 or googlemaps sw that wont allow us to even use cell tower location. on my wifes pearl on vzw too, i downloaded googlemaps and it shows where her approximate location is. i thought is was a vzw thing so we would have to get there navigator service. which i know is not available on the i760

Google Press Center: News Announcement
    Treo 650 -> Samsung i730 -> Samsung i760 -> Samsung Omnia i910
    Hillsdale College- educating for liberty w/o any fed. funding.

Forgive me if I'm reading too little into your posts, but because the i760 didn't have an internal GPS, I went on the recommendation of another poster in this forum and purchased a Wintec G-Rays2 little external bluetooth GPS unit. Paired it to my phone, and it works great. Google and Live Search maps works with it, and it sits on my dash while I'm driving and gives me precise location information. Done, and done.

I don't know that VZW "disabled" the location services for the i760 off the cell tower. It may just be that Samsung did something different that prevents the phone from accessing that information in the way that other phones do. That's fairly doubtful (since there is a standard way to do it in the APIs for emergency location services), but it is actually possible.

Regardless, if you want precise location you will need a supplemental GPS device like gary1218 posted.