+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Wifi and no data plan on Verizon

I searched but I didn't see the answer to this, and I want to be sure before I get a HUGE Verizon bill next month.

I just activated my i760 today, and I was using the wifi earlier. I didn't activate a data plan with Verizon because I use the USB card with my laptop, so I don't need data for both devices.

The option I selected in the online wizard for activation on Verizon's website was pay by KB for data. That was the only option that wasn't a data plan. That means that I pay by the KB for data if using the Verizon network, not wifi, for accessing the internet, though, right? I mean, I already pay for the internet access that comes over the wifi in my office and house, I surely don't want to pay Verizon for it too.

Sorry for such a newbie question. Great forum by the way!

Cmustin! First of all, welcome to pdaphonehome. You will find a great wealth of knowledge from people here and I hope you find it to be a friendly atmosphere. Since you are new, I am Nate. I work for a large multi-agent and am currently handling several peoples accounts for vzw from here. You are completely correct in that if you use wifi, then you will not be charged data at all. Now, in order to save yourself any hassles with accidentally getting data charges, I would strongly urge you to change your data settings. This would make then phone then ask you permission before connecting to data rather than doing it automatically. the way to do this is:

Start - Settings - Connections tab - "manage existing connections" - then edit bradband acc. When in that area, just delete the password. The password is ALWAYS vzw so if you want to use data, it will ask for the password and then you just type it in. This way, you will always know whether or not your connected to data services.

Nate
    If you have any questions at all feel free to PM me, or email me on my personal account. nathan.burlison@gmail.com
    Also, please feel free to call me at my store anytime, (314) 291-8699. Just ask for me.

Nate

no data plan as well

is there a way to make the phone prompt me before connecting to verizon broadband, I plan on just using available wifi.

well, the setup I went over will try to connect but before it actually does, will prompt for a password. Another solution if you want to completely get rid of data services (cellular, not wifi) is just delete the broadband access connection. Beware though because if you update your prl (*228 option 1 or 2, or even *22899) then it will put that setting back in there. Just be sure to go back and delete it again!

Nate
    If you have any questions at all feel free to PM me, or email me on my personal account. nathan.burlison@gmail.com
    Also, please feel free to call me at my store anytime, (314) 291-8699. Just ask for me.

Nate

Praise God! I thought about this after I probably used a few thousand KB over wifi. I was going to cry if your reply had gone otherwise!

Edit: I don't have an option for "manage existing connections"
    Last edited by cmustin; 08-19-2008 at 09:20 PM.

Glad I could help!!

Nate

Nate

You can prevent your device from using the Verzion Broadband connection by going into Connection Manager and change the Network Management (Advanced tab, Select Networks) to use "My Work Network" instead of "My ISP" for both the Internet and private network. Your connections will now only use WiFi.

You can also ask that VZW put a Data Lock on your account unless you want the ability to use the data occasionally.
    Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur

Quote Originally Posted by noseph View Post
    You can prevent your device from using the Verzion Broadband connection by going into Connection Manager and change the Network Management (Advanced tab, Select Networks) to use "My Work Network" instead of "My ISP" for both the Internet and private network. Your connections will now only use WiFi.
    I just did this adjustment. Thanks for the help!

does block on data plan prevent all internet access?

I am a new owner of the i760 and to pocket pc's overall. When my trusty old Sony Clie pda finally crashed, I made the decision to upgrade and have only one piece of equipment to lose. Anyway, I chose the 760 because of the wifi capability (and the fact that VZW discontinued the Treo 755). I didn't sign up for a data plan but discovered that the phone connects automatically. When I spoke to a VZW rep today I was informed that if I do a data block I will not be able to access the internet via wifi either -- is this true?

I have read the other posts and plan to manually disable the broadband by deleting the password and changing to "my work". Curious how this has worked for others.

Thanks

You will still have Wi-Fi with the data block, but because VZW sucks you will not be able to use MMS (i.e. Picture messaging) even if you pay for a txt plan that includes it.......

Quote Originally Posted by pillagingjack View Post
    The password is ALWAYS vzw so if you want to use data, it will ask for the password and then you just type it in.
    Not exactly true. Any username/password combination will authenticate as long as you are directly connected to the verizon network. In fact even using a blank password will get you connected, it is the OS that is setup to ask if you leave it blank.

Quote Originally Posted by cmustin View Post
    I searched but I didn't see the answer to this, and I want to be sure before I get a HUGE Verizon bill next month.

I just activated my i760 today, and I was using the wifi earlier. I didn't activate a data plan with Verizon because I use the USB card with my laptop, so I don't need data for both devices.

The option I selected in the online wizard for activation on Verizon's website was pay by KB for data. That was the only option that wasn't a data plan. That means that I pay by the KB for data if using the Verizon network, not wifi, for accessing the internet, though, right? I mean, I already pay for the internet access that comes over the wifi in my office and house, I surely don't want to pay Verizon for it too.

Sorry for such a newbie question. Great forum by the way!

I'm using the MoDaCo free utility NoData.
    It works fine on i760 even the original design was specific to work with GPRS (!).
    Utility disables the Broadband connection - it even survives the soft reset. But I didn't try the PRL.
    You can enable or disable the Broadband connection with simple interface (toggle).
    As some one mentioned the MMS will not work and any other OTA Data related transfer.
    You can verify if the data connection is active over Broadband just by looking at the strength signal (little antena) if it has the arrows along with it. If it does you Broadband is connected.
    The utility can be downloaded here: New FREE Utility - MoDaCo

BTW: Originaly some one posted it here on this board a while ago, I tried it and it works fine.

Artur

HI all,

I have a good question for all. I am a newbie to the forum but I have extensive knowledge. Now, I have the xv6800, obvioulsy the phone dials #777 to connect to the verizon wireless data network. If I use my own ISP dialup why did I still get charged. Thank God I tested this before running up a huge bill. I thought that by dialing my own ISP network that I would just use mintues. Any thoughts. Also, the AGPS which is now active requires an internet connection to download a .81 kb size file but it will only use a dial up connection. Anyone have any thoughts on how to get it to use any internet source?

Here is a program from Modaco that disables the data connection from your phone. I personally didn't use it, but Downloaded it just in case I ever wanted to get rid of the data plan.
    Attached Files
    It is kind of fun to try the impossible.

I was reading over the WIFI information in previous threads and came about the text below that I will show again. Question about using this technique though...This will disable the Verizon methods of connecting to the Internet I suppose? But will it also disable picture/video messaging/text messaging, and things of that nature too?

"You can prevent your device from using the Verzion Broadband connection by going into Connection Manager and change the Network Management (Advanced tab, Select Networks) to use "My Work Network" instead of "My ISP" for both the Internet and private network. Your connections will now only use WiFi."

Anyone have any insight.

Please help

hello, I am planning on purchasing the Samsung SCH I760 and i was wondering with verizon's new contracts, would i have to upgrade to a data package, or can i stay with what i have right now and just use the wifi for this phone, and be charged by the MB for the data i use. thank you

Quote Originally Posted by kre93 View Post
    hello, I am planning on purchasing the Samsung SCH I760 and i was wondering with verizon's new contracts, would i have to upgrade to a data package, or can i stay with what i have right now and just use the wifi for this phone, and be charged by the MB for the data i use. thank you
    you do not need a data package for this phone.

i have the same question

Cmustin! First of all, welcome to pdaphonehome. You will find a great wealth of knowledge from people here and I hope you find it to be a friendly atmosphere. Since you are new, I am Nate. I work for a large multi-agent and am currently handling several peoples accounts for vzw from here. You are completely correct in that if you use wifi, then you will not be charged data at all. Now, in order to save yourself any hassles with accidentally getting data charges, I would strongly urge you to change your data settings. This would make then phone then ask you permission before connecting to data rather than doing it automatically. the way to do this is:

Start - Settings - Connections tab - "manage existing connections" - then edit bradband acc. When in that area, just delete the password. The password is ALWAYS vzw so if you want to use data, it will ask for the password and then you just type it in. This way, you will always know whether or not your connected to data services.

does this answer still apply?