+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    I'm a total loser and I've been banned!!!

Does ICS work just by itself to tether?

I have been searching for this answer to no avail.

All I want to know is, If I install ICSInstall.CAB to my i760 will I be able to tether to my laptop via USB cable and get on the internet? Is there anything I need to install on my laptop?

Are there any configurations I need to make on the i760 or my laptop?
    Last edited by jaycarl; 08-21-2008 at 03:32 AM.

Comfortably Converged
    At least on my laptop (HP 2710p tablet, Vista), I didn't need to do anything. Start out by making sure wifi on your comp is shut off.
    1. Place the cab file in the main memory and then install it to the main memory.
    2. Soft Reset.
    3. Click on ICS from your Program Menu.
    4. Press the Connect button.
    5. The menu will say "Check USB connection", NOW connect the USB cable to the 760 and the computer. In a few seconds, the menu will read "Connected".

I use this all the time at work and it has never failed me or dropped the connection.

LOL that is hilarious. Which is why Verizon pulled ICS out of WinMo 6 to begin with. Sprint has it in their versions of WinMo and have gone banannas to try and figure out ways to block tethering through it by putting in blocking .dll extensions and forcing ICS to point to blocked MNAI PAM gateway through a registry entry, all of which can be easily disabled through appropriate registry modifications.

How nice it would be if these greedy US carriers would just be gracious, nice, and altruistic and just provide it as an included feature with the data plans through uncrippled ICS the way Microsoft intended (which I believe European carriers do). Of course, that would kill business for 3rd party optios like PDANet and mwifirouter, (oh, that's an idea, why not include wi-fi tethering too as an enhancement to ICS) but hey...one can dream a little.

I just went through and installed the ICS and it worked like a charm. Just click connect, wait a few seconds plug in the USB cable and start browsing. I tried both wmfirouter as well as pdanet with no luck although I didn't buy any of them figureing the trial would show me weather it would work or not until I found this ICS cab and works flawlesly.

I use the freeware WMWIFIROUTER to tether wirelessly in situations where it is not easy to use the cable. faster speeds using the cable.

Quote Originally Posted by sixftunda View Post
    At least on my laptop (HP 2710p tablet, Vista), I didn't need to do anything. Start out by making sure wifi on your comp is shut off.
    1. Place the cab file in the main memory and then install it to the main memory.
    2. Soft Reset.
    3. Click on ICS from your Program Menu.
    4. Press the Connect button.
    5. The menu will say "Check USB connection", NOW connect the USB cable to the 760 and the computer. In a few seconds, the menu will read "Connected".

I use this all the time at work and it has never failed me or dropped the connection.
    Thanks so much for going above and behond to anwser my question.

one more question:

Since I have the $30 unlimited data plan and no tethering option (because the bastards are making us pay $30 for that) I have no 5GB limit right? Not that I use 5 GB per month, its just I want to make it clear in my head.

I'm trying to set this up too. I downloaded the ICSInstall.CAB and installed it on my i760. It seems to work properly, and acknowledges a connect with my laptop. There are no drivers for my i760 on my laptop though, and none of the CDs that came with my i760 seem to have the correct driver on them. My laptop sees the USB connect with the i760, but doesn't know what to do with it. What do I need to set up on the laptop to make this work? Thanks!

Pop

Quote Originally Posted by PopMuzik View Post
    I'm trying to set this up too. I downloaded the ICSInstall.CAB and installed it on my i760. It seems to work properly, and acknowledges a connect with my laptop. There are no drivers for my i760 on my laptop though, and none of the CDs that came with my i760 seem to have the correct driver on them. My laptop sees the USB connect with the i760, but doesn't know what to do with it. What do I need to set up on the laptop to make this work? Thanks!

Pop
    You need to install the I-760 USB drivers:

I-760 USB Drivers

Also a BIG thank you to jaycarl for pointing out this option for tethering (as well as the cab author ... Lenny?).

It is simple and works.

The ONLY issue I had was with the USB driver installation due to the well documented "Invalid Data" driver installation fail.

The solution to this failure, should it occur, requires a change in the permissions attribute for the USB drivers in the registry using REGEDIT.
    Last edited by kpduty; 08-23-2008 at 08:48 AM.

Comfortably Converged
    Quote Originally Posted by jaycarl View Post

Since I have the $30 unlimited data plan and no tethering option (because the bastards are making us pay $30 for that) I have no 5GB limit right? Not that I use 5 GB per month, its just I want to make it clear in my head.
    Whether you are tethering legally or not it will raise a red flag if you go over 5GB.

Putting it plainly - VZW considers anyone using more than 5GB a month to be doing things that violate the terms of their user agreement. They say this quite plainly in the text they display on their web page for data plan terms and conditions. So every single plan that they have has that cap in place, whether you tether, don't tether, pay for tethering, or don't pay for tethering. The only plans that may not be subject to that limitation are the plans that are associated with the PC adapters that go directly into your computer. I haven't looked at the Ts & Cs for those.

Quote Originally Posted by kpduty View Post
    You need to install the I-760 USB drivers:

I-760 USB Drivers

Also a BIG thank you to jaycarl for pointing out this option for tethering (as well as the cab author ... Lenny?).

It is simple and works.

The ONLY issue I had was with the USB driver installation due to the well documented "Invalid Data" driver installation fail.

The solution to this failure, should it occur, requires a change in the permissions attribute for the USB drivers in the registry using REGEDIT.
    When I installed this driver, it said it was a Samsung monitor driver, not a modem driver. My i760 still is not recognized. Any ideas? Thanks!

Pop

Embedded EVDO cards in laptops are considered air cards just like USB dongles and PC cards and are subject to the same 5 Gig caps and $60/mo data fees. You just gotta LOVE Verizon for starting this whole 5 Gig cap crapola that everybody else has since signed onto. But it could be worse...European carrirs have a THREE Gig 'fair use allowance' on their data plans but I believe they allow tethering without add'l surcharges.

Does anyone have a driver to install on my laptop so it will recognize the i760 as a modem? I have installed ICSinstall.cab on my phone, and it looks like it was successful, and works properly. It's just that my laptop doesn't know what the i760 is. I installed the i760 USB driver above, but it is a Samsung monitor driver, and not a modem driver. Thanks,

Pop

Quote Originally Posted by PopMuzik View Post
    Does anyone have a driver to install on my laptop so it will recognize the i760 as a modem? I have installed ICSinstall.cab on my phone, and it looks like it was successful, and works properly. It's just that my laptop doesn't know what the i760 is. I installed the i760 USB driver above, but it is a Samsung monitor driver, and not a modem driver. Thanks,

Pop
    The link I posted above is definately the USB driver. It came directly from Samsung's I-760 software website. Here is a link one level above the driver download:

I-760 Samsung Software

Note that this driver is/should be the same as the USB driver that came with the application CD with your phone when you purchased it. If need be, simply use the apps CD to install the same USB driver.

I suspect an issue with your laptop. (Could it be a Vista versus XP issue? I believe this driver is for XP only)

What make/model are you using?

Good Luck ...

i dont have the tethering plan will this charge me if i try this on my i760 i tried wmwifirouter its hard to set up?

Just to throw in my 2 cents, I purchased a Hot Sync and Charge USB cable on ebay for 6 bucks, and couldn't be happier tethering with it. Charges the phone, good speeds... can't ask for more than that!
    You lock it up..

ics, vista ultimate 64 bit and you....

it works! I can confirm that it does, and I'm using it on my desktop computer.

Thank you all for your replys.

I have been able to set it up on my Toshiba Lappy running XP and it works like a charm.

Because of this thread alone I have saved $30 a month. So again my bank account and I thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by pima View Post
    i dont have the tethering plan will this charge me if i try this on my i760 i tried wmwifirouter its hard to set up?
    No you will not be charged if you use ICS.

What data plan do you have? I have the $30 unlimited data plan and tethering to my lappy is free with ICS so its a good savings every month.

Just don't go crazy and download to much data or you might get red flagged.

How about tehtering with Bluetooth?

This program which I installed and used successfully using the USB connection. It has a bluetooth option but I could not get it to work. Anyboyd has a work around or is using it.
    Thanks
    The Perfect Device... Are you still searching for it.... Never needs updating... never needs charging..... never needs rebooting or resetting.... and it's never outdated.... still searching..... If you are...then you must not be using it....