+ Reply to Thread

Turn off Plug In Sound?

Is there a way I can prevent my phone from making a sound when I plug it into a power source? It's really damn annoying. For that matter, is there a way to turn off all system sounds besides the alarm and phone ringer? Those are the only two I want anyway.

My phone stopped making that horrible plug in noise when i upgraded to 6.1

Now i don't wake up my wife as much :_^)

This is actually something I would love to have. I am @ 6.1 and still get the "Plug In" sound every darn time. At night I have to wake up my phone select a mute shortcut - plug in - then raise volume.

I would LOVE to be able to disable these power notification sounds - heck the Volume up/down beeps are unnecessary as well.

If nobody knows a Reg Hack let me know the sound file's name/location and I'll make "blank" versions and replace em.
    Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur

I remember seeing something about this once a long time ago. I believe the way to deal with it might be to find the WAV (or MP3?) file in the Windows or other directory and then replace it with a blank file of the same name (using a program like Total Commander). I think you can even create a new document in Notepad (with no text in it) and then simply change the name (including the extension) to match the sound sound file that the system uses as a sound when your i760 is plugged in.

If this works, please let us know.
    -Jay
    The Fine Print:Nothing in this post (or any of my other posts) is intended to constitute legal advice or the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. For purposes of this forum, I'm just another nerd like you. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen_Insane View Post
    Is there a way I can prevent my phone from making a sound when I plug it into a power source? It's really damn annoying. For that matter, is there a way to turn off all system sounds besides the alarm and phone ringer? Those are the only two I want anyway.
    There HAS TO BE a way to make this happen. Any chnace someone can CHIME in with a proper way to help. I seem to remember being asked whether I wanted to be notified when plugging in power, but I cannot seem to find a way to backtrack to that screen.

Arrrrggggghhhhhh I hate that noise.
    CurtisZZZ

I didn't GET RID of the sound but I replaced it with a new sound. I just played all the WAV files in my "Windows" directory until I found something that was quiet ( I believe it was "MenuPop" ). But it's just a very quiet clicking sound.

Then I copied it to my Storage Card (you could paste it anywhere on your device instead), renamed it " Notify " and pasted it with its new name back into my "Windows" directory. It warned that it was a "Read Only" file and confirmed I wanted to replace it. And when I plugged it in I had the new sound that is a quiet click sound.

Good Luck, Hope it works for you.
    ~Dustin

Quote Originally Posted by iProb8 View Post
    I believe the way to deal with it might be to find the WAV (or MP3?) file in the Windows or other directory and then replace it with a blank file of the same name (using a program like Total Commander). I think you can even create a new document in Notepad (with no text in it) and then simply change the name (including the extension)
    You' are absolutely correct IProb8,

The file you're referring to is a WAV file named "Notify" and you're right it is in the "Windows" directory. And you right again about creating a blank "Notes" document named "Notify" but you can't just name it "Notify.wav" Because its file extension will still be "pwi" (The Notes Extension) So you'll end up with a file named "Notify.wav.pwi"

If you DO have a program like Resco Explorer or Total Commander you can change the file extension from "pwi" to "wav" and that will change the file type to a WAV. Then you can paste it into the "Windows" directory and overwrite the original "Notify" file. And you will no longer have the annoying plug-in sound.

If you don't have a program like Resco or Commander, or you don't want to go through all these steps, you can replace the file with a renamed WAV file with the instructions in post #6. But to truly eliminate a sound when plugging the device in I believe this is the easiest way to do so.

Good Luck,
    Last edited by dustinb; 12-31-2008 at 10:03 AM.
    ~Dustin

I meant to post this a while ago. I too was waking my wife by plugging in my phone. I made a much quieter version which is very soft, but I can still be sure it is plugged in correctly. I will attach my very quiet notify.wav and also a silent version I named notifySILENT.wav (to use just change the name to notify.wav and drag into your Windows folder). Cheers.
    Attached Files
    Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur