+ Reply to Thread

I finally signed into a UNL data plan, so now what?

I signed up for the 29.99 unlimited data plan and I have my email up and running. I was told I can't sync it (or is the better term push it) with Outlook I can only use activesync to exchange information.

I was using third party GPS software which was great.

I dunno... I was just wondering what can I do now that I have unl data? Help me have some fun with a few suggestions.

Curt
    CurtisZZZ

I'm surprised g-mail can't be received as pop e-mail. I'll have to try for myself later tonight.

As far as GPS software... did you find something to activate the internal i760 GPS (using cell towers to triangulate position)? I'm dying to fond that!

Update: I was able to set up G-Mail and get it to sync via outlook just fine.

You can't have your e-mail "pushed", where as soon as a new message is sent, it shows up on the phone.

More accurately, you've gotta "pull" it... so log onto a wireless point via WiFi or your data plan, the select "send/recieve" in the outlook page for that e-mail account. You can set your phone to do this automaticlly at fairly frequent intervals, though. Frequent enough that you might not notice too much difference from "push" e-mail.

Get a slingbox.

"get a slingbox" is a great recommendation, I just signed into and UNL this month and love being able to watch tv anywhere.

So again... what third party GPS software were you using?

Quote Originally Posted by msh441 View Post
    So again... what third party GPS software were you using?
    Sorry, I was away for a day and missed your post.

I was using IGuidance version 3. It worked very well, but I've heard others talk about how they use their data plan to access google maps and all that sounded very complicated to me. Among other things I was hoping someone might tell me how to set that up so I could check it out for myself.

Z
    CurtisZZZ

Quote Originally Posted by mazz0310 View Post
    "get a slingbox" is a great recommendation, I just signed into and UNL this month and love being able to watch tv anywhere.

That sounds great, but what is it, is there additional charge, and where can I get it?
    CurtisZZZ

Get it on eBay or Best Buy or any local retailer.

The only charge to you is if you go over 5GB per month and the WinMo software has a nominal fee as well.

I don't see why GPS software is entering into a Unlimited Data plan thread for reasons other than a traffic update but those updates are less than 1k a piece..

Get TomTom if you would like traffic updates.

JR computer world currently has the slingbox AV (single source, no HD) for $99 bucks which is a great deal. thought id share

Sling Media SB240-100 Slingbox AV in Wireless Multimedia Networking Devices at JR.com

peace

Is there a monthly fee for slingbox? What about the Sony version?

I don't know about the Sony Version, but the slingbox is a one time fee, you have to pay for the sling box and slingbox mobile (30$) but you also need a cable box, which is probably a month fee.

no montly fee for slingbox. you buy the box, hook it up to your TV source (note that the box above for 99 bucks does not have aTV tuner built in - must have a cable box, sat box, converter, DVD player, etc... needs component or svideo, or even usb input) and you're good to go. to watch it on your phone you need to buy the mobile software, which is a one time fee of $30 bucks.

never heard of the sony version, i'll take a look

okay i looked and it doesn't seem as though you can stream the sony one to a mobile phone. so for these purposes it's not an option.
    Last edited by intellax; 08-26-2008 at 05:32 PM.