+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Free WAP

Question Free WAP

Hi Everyone,
    I just got my SCH-I760. On my old phone there were ways to connect to the internet by free WAP. Is this possible on this phone?
    Thanks, Will

I'm a total loser and I've been banned!!!
    lol...im sry, but buying a i760 to connect to WAP is kind of funny.

WAP uses data on the i760 no matter how you try to hook it up so you will have to pay your dues to verizon.

My suggestion would be to get the best data plan verizon offers ($29.99 month unlimited) and use the device how it was intended to be used. I know its not free but that is your only (best) option you really have.

Ok, maybe I am confused about what WAP is. I thought it was a mobile internet connection. I didn't really buy the I760 for the internet. I got it for the PDA function. It was time to replace my old Ipaq and thought it would be nice to integrate with a phone. It has worked out great so far, but now I am curious about the mobile internet. I never used internet on my Ipaq.

Will

Ah, a bit confusing here as I thought you were talking about connecting to Wireless Access Points which of course you can do via WiFi for free (as long as the point is open). I think this would be a good start for you - find an open WiFi spot and connect and check out the mobile internet. If you feel you would want it with you all the time perhaps getting the data plan would be for you.

What data plan are you currently on? Are you on the pay per kb plan?
    Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur

Quote Originally Posted by luca_bras1 View Post
    Ah, a bit confusing here as I thought you were talking about connecting to Wireless Access Points which of course you can do via WiFi for free (as long as the point is open). I think this would be a good start for you - find an open WiFi spot and connect and check out the mobile internet. If you feel you would want it with you all the time perhaps getting the data plan would be for you.

What data plan are you currently on? Are you on the pay per kb plan?
    I too thought that by WAP he meant Wireless Access Point. Otherwise, I figured it was a typo and he meant WPA, which is a Wi-Fi encryption standard. Aren't acronyms fun?
    Last edited by iProb8; 08-27-2008 at 10:57 AM.
    -Jay
    The Fine Print:Nothing in this post (or any of my other posts) is intended to constitute legal advice or the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. For purposes of this forum, I'm just another nerd like you. :-)

I'm on the per kb plan and have the 777 disabled. I will try the wifi connection and if I actually need internet where there is no wifi, I will enable the 777. I know from reading on here that I have to be careful as charges can get astronomical if you're not careful.

Thanks everyone,
    Will

I think he means WAP as in Wireless Application Protocol... it was a browsing standard for access the internet with cell phones back in the QNC and 1X days. It provided for stripped down browsing with limited bandwidth. For more info check out here:
    Wireless Application Protocol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    and
    Mobile browser - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    My first internet enabled cell phone had a WAP browser as did my first PDA phone (kyo 7135) but it was pretty outdated as speeds got faster and the the mobile browsers approached the capability of desktop PCs.
    Mark
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

I'm a total loser and I've been banned!!!
    Sounds like in your first post you were trying to connect to the internet for free using WAP (Wireless Application Protocol) via a WAP browser. This cannot be done on the i760 without paying dues to verizon like i already said in post #2.

If you talking about a wifi connection via a Wireless Access Point (like at starbucks, McDonalds) this can be done with no date charges.

Ok, I think I understand now. On my old Samsung 620U you could hack/change the WAP (Wireless Application Protocol) from verizon's number to a free WAP like google or something. There was a list of them on Howardforums. I never tried it, but other's seemed to be having good results. I didn't realize it was slower though. I will likely just use wifi for my limited internet use or the per KB. Is there an easier way to connect without changing the 777 back and forth every time? I'm sure I just need to do some searching on here

Regards, Will