+ Reply to Thread

Memory card problem

Tonight I went to play some MP3s, and noticed none of my apps were working. So I checked the files on my memory card, and all of them were missing. The card still shows the space as being used, but apparently the FAT is corrupt, the card has gone bad, or this is some bug with 6.1 I have not experienced yet... Has anyone else had this problem?
    I have a 4gb memory card

Apparently this is a common issue with WM6.1
    I got home this evening and put the card in my pc, and the only file found on the card is encfiltlog.menc that has something to do with file encryption starting with WM6.0

I recovered the files using Piriform Recuva, and proceeded to test the card. After extensive testing it seems there is nothing wrong with the memory card. I did a search for encfiltlog.menc and it looks like lots of people are losing data due to this problem. Looks like I will be rolling back to WM6.0

I would be interested to hear from anyone else who has run into this problem...

What if you reformated the card in the Phone with WM6.1... does that make a difference?
    Mark
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

I have this same problem, how do I fix it, I delete the encrypted file, but it comes back. Should I get a new card, I even did a master reset.

I think that the problem is storing attachments on the external card. It seems like whenever I get a bunch of emails or MMS that it always gets erased, so i turned it off and havent had a problem for a little while now.

The problem is very likely caused because you've configured (or company policy forces you to configure) encryption for the memory card. Check Settings-Encryption. There's a check box for the memory card that encrypts files placed there. So anything that passes "through the phone" to the memory card will be encrypted. This will include anything you put there via ActiveSync or WMDC.

If you're putting music or other things on the card that you don't want encrypted, copy them directly to the card from the PC. WM won't encrypt them, just the files that are synchronized through the phone's software. You may need to delete a ton of stuff to make room first, but this should work for you. I've an 8GB card and the only things that are encrypted on it are the things I sync through WMDC.

Note that I've got a Kaiser and not an i760, so Samsung may have done something different, but I believe this should work for you. Someone testing and posting results would be useful.

I have a 2g Memory card & ive seem to have lost my music files (folder) in the same fashion. PITA

Not sure what caused this problem. I had file encryption turned off. I have seen this happen with hard drives when the FAT gets corrupted. I used recovery software, and most of the files were recoverable, but the file structure and programs were lost. I reformatted the card, and have been using it with no problems since. The card has been tested over and over again, so my feeling is that it's an unsolved issue/glitch with WM6.1.
    Apparently a lot of people have had the same problem, so I expect we will see more on this.