+ Reply to Thread

Personal Exchange/Email Options/HTML Email?

I currently have the $45 unlimited data plan. I currently use Verizon Wireless Sync with my Outlook on my Laptop. The email account that Outlook uses is a Gmail POP account. I like having all of the folders/attachments etc on my local laptop harddrive so that I can read emails/delete etc when the computer is offline.

So far, the Verizon Wireless sync is pretty nice and works well for syncing my phone and laptop's Contacts, Notes, Emails and Calendar. The only problem is that when I'm away and only have my phone with me, my Laptop must be ON and connected to the internet. Every 5 minutes (or whatever Outlook is configured to do) it checks for messages. Once those are recieved it then will SYNC to the Verizon Wireless servers and then I recieve my emails on my phone. Ideally, I'd like to get the emails as soon as they are sent and in my Gmail account, but I have not been sussesfull with wireless sync checking for the messages in the Gmail account. I'd also like to not have to have my laptop online all the time.

I think what I'm looking for is a personal exchange server that checks a POP email account and then syncs everything back and forth between my Laptop and Cell Phone. My question for those of you who do this is:

1) Which Hosted Exchange do you recondmend?
    2) Will the hosted exchange work with my existing Gmail account (I don't want to change my email address)
    3) Does the Exchange setup keep everything locally as well as on the server? Will all my attachements and email be available to my on my laptop when it is offline?

My last question is.... is there anyway to get HTML emails on the i760 through any option? All of my Verizon Wireless Sync emails come in as text only.

Thanks for any information.

Quote Originally Posted by gbruyn View Post
    I currently have the $45 unlimited data plan. I currently use Verizon Wireless Sync with my Outlook on my Laptop. The email account that Outlook uses is a Gmail POP account. I like having all of the folders/attachments etc on my local laptop harddrive so that I can read emails/delete etc when the computer is offline.

So far, the Verizon Wireless sync is pretty nice and works well for syncing my phone and laptop's Contacts, Notes, Emails and Calendar. The only problem is that when I'm away and only have my phone with me, my Laptop must be ON and connected to the internet. Every 5 minutes (or whatever Outlook is configured to do) it checks for messages. Once those are recieved it then will SYNC to the Verizon Wireless servers and then I recieve my emails on my phone. Ideally, I'd like to get the emails as soon as they are sent and in my Gmail account, but I have not been sussesfull with wireless sync checking for the messages in the Gmail account. I'd also like to not have to have my laptop online all the time.

I think what I'm looking for is a personal exchange server that checks a POP email account and then syncs everything back and forth between my Laptop and Cell Phone. My question for those of you who do this is:

1) Which Hosted Exchange do you recondmend?
    2) Will the hosted exchange work with my existing Gmail account (I don't want to change my email address)
    3) Does the Exchange setup keep everything locally as well as on the server? Will all my attachements and email be available to my on my laptop when it is offline?

My last question is.... is there anyway to get HTML emails on the i760 through any option? All of my Verizon Wireless Sync emails come in as text only.

Thanks for any information.
    I use 123together, and it works very well. You can hook it up to Outlook at home as well as active sync through your i760. Everything is always synced. The website is Microsoft Exchange Hosting. Hosted Exchange Dedicated & Shared servers for Exchange 2007 & 2003, and if you want HTML email sign up with Exchange Server 2007, since 2003 won't do HTML through windows mobile. It only costs $10 a month.

And to answer your questions, yes to all three.
    Last edited by m_kranzler11; 08-27-2008 at 01:31 PM.

Does that Hosted Exchange check your POP email for you on their side? Or would Outlook still do that?

Take the VZW app out of the loop regarding mail, and configure the phone to grab your GMail using the IMAP settings. Then your email comes more often, doesn't matter if your laptop is on or off, and you get HTML mail.

If you are willing to sync your calendar/contacts via bluetooth or USB, you can ditch the VZW app altogether and use Activesync for calendar/contacts and IMAP for mail.

Then you can bump yourself down to the $29.99 plan and save $15 a month.

And to keep things uniform, you might want to consider connecting to Gmail via IMAP with Outlook as well.

Does that Hosted Exchange check your POP email for you on their side? Or would Outlook still do that?
    It checks it on their side, since it is as if you have your own Exchange Server. Basically your outlook will connect to the exchange server, so when you make a change on your phone, it updates over EVDO to the exchange server, and your outlook updates based on the exchange server connection. Obviously, it works the opposite way too, so if you updates something on your Outlook, it updates the exchange server which then updates your phone when connected through Active Sync. This works with calendar, contacts, email, and tasks.

Quote Originally Posted by m_kranzler11 View Post
    This works with calendar, contacts, email, and tasks.
    Does it work with NOTES too?

I used to use 4smartphone but I left them due to poor customer service for MailStreet. I highly recommend Mailstreet. My cost is ~ $22 per month since my PST file is over 2 GB.

Does it work with NOTES too?
    No it doesn't work with notes.

If currently have a GMAIL email account and I don't want to change that account. I really want to use a hosted exchange for numerous platforms (Laptop/Desktop/i760/Outlook Web Access) to be synced together. Does anyone know of a hosted exchange platform that lets you use an exisiting POP3 email address and still shows that exisiting email address in the FROM field? Like i said, I don't have my own domain name or anything, just looking for a personal email with a hosted exchange setup.

It looked like mail2web.com - Pick Up Your Email had a personal exchange account for $8.95/month but it looks to me that it only includes outlook WEB access and does not include an actual server setup for the Outlook 2007 desktop to connect to. I'm not positive, but thats what I gathered from their FAQ/Knowlege base. I've got an email into them verifying that, but if anyone knows anything else about that or any other hosted exchange setup that would do what I'm talking about for $10/month or less, let me know.

If currently have a GMAIL email account and I don't want to change that account. I really want to use a hosted exchange for numerous platforms (Laptop/Desktop/i760/Outlook Web Access) to be synced together. Does anyone know of a hosted exchange platform that lets you use an exisiting POP3 email address and still shows that exisiting email address in the FROM field? Like i said, I don't have my own domain name or anything, just looking for a personal email with a hosted exchange setup.

It looked like mail2web.com - Pick Up Your Email had a personal exchange account for $8.95/month but it looks to me that it only includes outlook WEB access and does not include an actual server setup for the Outlook 2007 desktop to connect to. I'm not positive, but thats what I gathered from their FAQ/Knowlege base. I've got an email into them verifying that, but if anyone knows anything else about that or any other hosted exchange setup that would do what I'm talking about for $10/month or less, let me know.
    123Together is exactly what you are looking for man. They give you a free 30 day trial so you really don't have much to lose.

Check out SherWeb SherWeb - Homepage. I have been using them for almost a year and no complaints. Plus they offer 3GB accounts for $8.99/month.

123together.com

Yes, I used a free trial from Exchange Hosting - Dedicated & Shared Hosted Exchange for Micorosft Exchange server 2007 & 2003 as well.
    They even extended it to 45 days because I had no chance to setup my mailbox until I came back from my business trip.
    So I can surely recommend them for exchange hosting.
    Their hosted Exchange service never failed me for 6 months.
    the only 20 mins outage they had - I was informed about well in advance.

Previously I used to have another exchange provider from Russia, which went down more often than I could allow... Email is a mission critical application I am forced to rely on every day.