Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

New Phone NO EVDO !! Problem Confirmed by Verizon

After 10 days of no EVDO and having my trouble ticket closed with Verizon saying my issue was poor cell coverage, I finally received a phone message from level 3 tech support saying Nortel and Samsung have verified a problem with 760's getting EVDO coverage.

I had a 760 since 01/08 working fine. My son has a 760 that still works fine. His phone was put into service in 02/08 and he still has the same phone. On 08/16/08 I tried to upgrade my phone to WM 6.1 and had an issue. The local store (who has been great) gave me a new phone and I have been unable to get on EVDO since the minute I got the new phone. I tried 3 760's and even my old 730 with the same result.

As I understand it, my new phone has a NEID and the phone's software is sending invalid info to the towers and that is why no EVDO. As I understand it (and believe me I'm not smart about this stuff) phones with an ESN are OK which may be why my earlier phone and my son's phone worked and why all new phones I tried didn't work. I don't know this well enough to know if that explains why my 730 no longer works.

Verizon level 3 said it may take days, weeks or months for Samsung and Nortel to work this out and that the fix will require me to go to the local store and download an update to the phone. They said they'd let me know when it became available. We'll see.

I'd love to hear from those of you who either bought new phones or bricked theirs doing the WM6.1 upgrade and hear if you too do not connect to EVDO. This may be a reason for those of you on the edge to re-consider the WM 6.1 upgrade at this moment.

Bad Verizon, No Cookie!

Talking

WOW!
    I am very glad to know that I did NOT go for a warranty replacement phone from verizon for my locking up issue. I have noticed poor/reduced evdo service with my phone since the update.

I am also glad I never agreed to samsung "reflashing" my current phone and do without for appox 2 weeks!

I hope a fix comes soon for all the issues. Otherwise I may end up finding another phone temporarily to play with until I can get my 760 fixed.
    Touch Pro 2 - 6.1 Stock ROM - Verizon Wireless

I had to get a new phone in the upgrade to 6.1 process - how can I truly test my phone to determine if I also am suffering from this??

On the top of the screen you will see a square showing either EV or 1X. Mine never leaves 1X. I also activated my old I730 and that only now gets 1X. Hope the fix addresses that phone too.

Weird.. I upgraded my i760 to WM6.1 and have had no issues, I don't see any less EV coverage than I did before..

Bad Verizon, No Cookie!
    I guess the thing with mine is the service indoors is too sensitive and dropping the service or not enough and not picking it up as I had.

Most areas I still have service just some service that used to be 25 to 50 percent I may have 15 or none at all.
    Touch Pro 2 - 6.1 Stock ROM - Verizon Wireless

Not a problem if you keep the same phone. My son upgraded to 6.1 with no issues and his works. This isn't related to WM 6.0 vs 6.1. Problem is on the Samsung phone. They tell me my phone has a NEID and not an ESN and that is the problem. Phones with an ESN are OK. My problem was that my original phone bought in 01/08 didn't play nice during the 6.1 upgrade. Problem only arose when they gave me a new phone. Problem is on the new phone.

Quote Originally Posted by dkfif View Post
    Not a problem if you keep the same phone. My son upgraded to 6.1 with no issues and his works. This isn't related to WM 6.0 vs 6.1. Problem is on the Samsung phone. They tell me my phone has a NEID and not an ESN and that is the problem. Phones with an ESN are OK. My problem was that my original phone bought in 01/08 didn't play nice during the 6.1 upgrade. Problem only arose when they gave me a new phone. Problem is on the new phone.

Should this issue then be detectable using the #43574357* (for WM6.1) or #4357* (for WM6.0) and view the results shown for ESN and MEID ?

My successfully flash WM6.1 device shows a HEX ESN number and 15 zero's for MEID.

What does your faulty I760 show versus your son's?

My son is in Nashville so I can't tell you now but can after tomorrow.

I never knew this existed. My phone has both an ESN and an MEID. I earlier said NEID but it really is MEID I believe.
    My ESN is 8 characters long giving me numbers and letters
    MY MEID is 14 characters long with both numbers and letters
    Under that is "technology" that says "hybrid selected."
    Line under that says "Hybrid, 1X only, EVDO only"
    Line under that says Network: Automatic A selected.

Not sure what this means but that is what my phone says.

I'll post tomorrow or Saturday what my son's says depending on when he gets home.

Quote Originally Posted by dkfif View Post
    My son is in Nashville so I can't tell you now but can after tomorrow.

I never knew this existed. My phone has both an ESN and an MEID. I earlier said NEID but it really is MEID I believe.
    My ESN is 8 characters long giving me numbers and letters
    MY MEID is 14 characters long with both numbers and letters
    Under that is "technology" that says "hybrid selected."
    Line under that says "Hybrid, 1X only, EVDO only"
    Line under that says Network: Automatic A selected.

Not sure what this means but that is what my phone says.

I'll post tomorrow or Saturday what my son's says depending on when he gets home.
    Well, since mine is working and there is NO MEID number (all zeros), I'm guessing this is the problem that the service rep was referring to.

My only question: Why is/did Samsung/Verizon make this change? Could it be your getting re-furbished units as replacements.

Maybe someone with more knowledge could explain the significance of MEID and what/who it is for.

I am sure your son's information will also have all zeros for the MEID like mine.

The bottom line: If I were you, I would INSIST that verizon send you a unit with MEID as all zeros.

Good Luck ...

I have a MEID of something other than all zeros and I don't have any problem receiving an EVDO signal...

RWC
    Member Vast Right Wing Conspiracy RWC's Avatar
    My phone is showing all zero's for the MEID and I get EVDO fine.

I added two new 760s to our account and one has all zeros and gets EVDO and the other shows numbers in MEID and does not get EVDO

Quote Originally Posted by fmeredith View Post
    I have a MEID of something other than all zeros and I don't have any problem receiving an EVDO signal...
    So much for that theory ...

Definition of MEID

I'm starting to think the Verizon tech is all wet on this one. By their own account, Verizon states that MEID implementation is "seamless":

Verizon's MEID Explanaion
    Last edited by kpduty; 08-28-2008 at 02:23 PM.

Unhappy

Just spoke with a local rep who said he thinks the issue is the "upgrade" of the verizon network from Rev-0 to Rev-A in preparation for the new model phones coming out soon. This was in response to my inquiry as to why my old I-730 no longer gets EVDO and whether my son's old 6700 would still get EVDO. The answer was they probably won't any longer.

So...I'm sitting on 3 phones that can't get EVDO. I don't know enough to know if this makes any sense. If this is really what is happening, there may be some upset people out there as they swap out their 6700's or 730's or 760's only to find they just lost evdo. I don't mind if their software fix allows existing phones to continue to work but I don't like hearing my old 730 and 6700 now are bricks.
    Last edited by dkfif; 08-28-2008 at 02:35 PM.

RWC
    I have four 760s in our office. 3 get EVDO no problems. 1 of them never connects and is always 1x.

The biggest problem (besides slow connection) is that the battery life sucks when you run push email on 1x. There is definitely a problem. It might not be the MEID thing but it definitely isn't the network Rev0 to RevA thing.

RWC
    alright - I have been through 3 phones for 1 employee and the last did not have the MEID so scratch that theory.

We are not looking at his phone line and suspect that verizon screwed up his data plan to somehow not include the broadband access. Will let you know if we get this figured out.

Just like to throw my hat into this ring. I just picked up a new i760 last week and noticed I never get evdo, even when other phones around me are getting 4 bars of evdo signal. I've called Verizon and cs acknowledged that there have been several similar reports coming in. Yes, I have a MEID too. Don't know if I should have a new phone sent my way or wait for a fix(hopefully) seeing as how I was able to successfully update this one to wm 6.1.

RWC
    update - went through 4 new phones none could get EVDO. I had the employee go and get a 6800 and EVDO worked as promised.

Really bugs me as I have a bunch of 760's deployed now. All the early ones work as promised.

Kevin

I have a replaced phone and I'm running wm6.1..........I have and for the most part always have the EV at the top.

We have about a dozen i760s deployed in my organization. We started seeing this issue on replacement phones. So far I have encountered 4 i760s with this problem. For now the only solution seems to be replacement. One I had to get replaced twice because the replacement phone had the same issue. Fortunately Verizon doesn't seem to have a problem sending out replacement phones for this problem. I can also confirm that the problem has nothing to do with the 6.0 to 6.1 upgrade. All of our i760s have been updated to 6.1 and they all connect to EV just fine.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast