+ Reply to Thread

Phone WONT go into sleep mode...

all of a sudden...and my battery is going down fast ! I tried switching the setting on and off, external and internal battery, nothing...any ideas ?

Ive had the phone for six month, no problems....I have 6.1 installed...

THanks

Last edited by dusterdoo; 10-11-2008 at 10:16 PM.
    Samsung SCH-i730 -> Samsung SCH-i760

Funny -- after the hard reset and rebuild I did last week, I noticed mine draining unusually fast as well...plus being hot most of the time. I've since been messing with the various settings that effect battery drain and watching closely the results, but don't have news yet. Check your settings for both Power and Backlight and make sure there's nothing that would drain power quickly. Also check your mail sync settings...I find that if I let it check my POP mail any quicker than 30 minutes, it drains the battery too fast. I also have habitually taken to turning off any radios that I don't happen to need -- only leave the phone radio on all the time (except when on flights, of course!).

Well, it went back to NORMAL - shuts off after 1 min per settings...I did notice that if the BACKLIT was off but phone not asleep (and you could see the Today screen only slightly), the battery drained within hours....now back to normal...

I messed with as many setting as possible, not sure what I did...maybe it has to do with the battery....

pix message

I have had this problem a few times but was due to me switching off the MY ISP setting in the network advanced config. My phone can still send and receive text messages but if a pic message comes in it tries to download it through the EVDO network which is off (both networks set to My Work Network (aka Wifi only). The phone will sit idle trying to download the message and never goes to sleep. I am not sure if you turned off your ISP Network or not but just an idea.

Bat.

Actually thats what I do have...and probably the cause, as it still occurs....whats the answer....to get the message via Vpix ?

EDIT: I did a hard reset, erased the password from my Verizon account, set both to My ISP as mentioned above, and all is wel...Thanks for the advice...
    Last edited by dusterdoo; 10-14-2008 at 10:36 PM.

Dust - I simply fix this by turning on My ISP network which then downloads the pix message like normal. Once downloaded I can see it and I switch the network back to how it was (My Work). I then get charged for the pix download at 0.25 cents. I know of problems in the past of double charging but I have not had this issue yet (knock on wood). I don't hardly receive any pix messages so it isn't a problem. I have had my phone for 10 months and only received 3 pix messages. If you like to send them back and forth I can see how this would be a problem.

I would still like to see a program like a firewall which blocks the ISP network and asks for permission like my desktop firewall. Would be a neat application and great on a windows mobile based phone.

Good Luck, Bat.

I've found that when I have to do a soft reset due to a locked program, the phone won't sleep after the soft reset. I've found its somehow related to the phone power management, because if I turn ONLY the phone off, the i760 will sleep like it should.

I have disabled #777 (My ISP), but I haven't ever expected any pic messages either since I hardly ever txt either. So I may try turning that back on next time I have the issue to see if that fixes it. What seemed to fix it for me this last time (after playing with every setting, shutting down correctly, just yanking the battery and all that with no help), I received a phone call and it seemed to be working after that.

I have WM 6.1 and the following programs:
    Belkin Navigation System
    Resco Explorer 2003
    Resco FTP Add-in
    Resco Registry Add-in
    PocketMind Pocket Music
    DivxPlayer
    Palringo
    Opera 9.5 beta (latest addition, which I had the no sleep before this SW)

THE FIX for sch i760 not going into sleep mode

OK so after about 14 months of this problem coming up randomly I think I have figured out a fix. So first here is what happens, For those of us that have decided that Verizon data plan is too expensive and figured whats the point when you have WIFI, and either had a data block put on our lines or erased the #777 or something similar, When you get a MMS message ( a pic) your phone wont go into sleep mode until it has retrieved the pic, The problem is it wont ever retrieve the pic. So here is what i have found. Go to mms messages screen, click menu, then MMS options, MAKE SURE EVERYTHING IS SET TO OFF. So far this has fixed it for me, From now on when you get a pic message and only text comes through just delete it and empty deleted items. I hope this helps because i love this phone just not that the battery will only last 6hours when this comes up.

I hate to bump this super old thread but this has been happening to me too. all of a sudden i realised my battery life was draining awfully quick, then realised that the phone stopped going to sleep. Sounds like the same issue since i have a datablock and had a friend try sending me a MMS message a few days ago (about the time this all started). So does anyone have any clearer instructions of what settings i need to change and where to access them to fix this issue.

I cleared out my text messages and deleted them all but it still wont go to sleep.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

I can manually put it to sleep by pressing the top button but i often forget then end up wearing out my battery.

Thanks!!!

The only options i see under Text Messaging are:

[_] Request Delivery Notifications
    [_] Always send a CallBack Number (xxx-xxx-xxxx)

the second one was checked before and i unchecked it, but its still not going to sleep. What do i need to change to keep the phone from trying to recieve the message and prevent it from accepting future ones??

I have the same problem too. I found the following symptom: if the cellphone wireless (the "Phone" from the wireless manager screen) is off, then I never have a problem with the phone not turning off. But usually this "not turning off problem" would appear, almost consistently, after I powered on the phone from the "off" (shut down) state.

Whan often fixed this problem is the following "hack": I would turn on and off the "Phone" wireless connection multiple times, and out of luck, one of these times, the plague would go away by itself. I don't remember this problem being related to MMS, though, as post #8 suggested.

Also, if the phone is in the "sick" state (ie refusing to sleep automatically), doing everything would seem to be extremely slow, as if the CPU was very busy. I could see the memory being still plentiful (18-19 MB free) but texting, opening files, etc would become painfully sluggish.

I am trying fix #8 and will let you know though.

TO hunt this problem more definitely, we have to dig down if the CPU is indeed overly worked out by some process. Is there some sort of advanced tool (power tool) to list all the running tasks and how much resource they use? Like the task manager in Windows or "ps" or "top" in UNIX?

Wirawan