+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    03-13-2009
    Posts
    13

    Microsoft Reader Activation Issue w/WM6.1

    Has anyone here managed to get Microsoft Reader to properly activate under WM6.1?

    I had to buy a new phone as a replacement for my i730 that had been a great friend, but had gotten pretty beaten up in an incident involving the holster clip coming loose, and the phone sliding across an intersection.

    I didn't put any thought into the fact that MS Reader might not work on the phone since Windows Mobile 6 is a supported OS.

    Who knew that 6.1 being a 'minor' revision would totally make Reader unable to function?

    I contacted Microsoft Support and they stated that 6.1 is non-supported, they have no idea if/when they will release any sort of update to allow Reader to work on 6.1

    They had me run through all sorts of troubleshooting and possible fixes, all came up nil.

    I figured with a brains we have at the table here on this site that someone might know something.


    Normally I wouldn't be so worried, but I have hundreds invested in MS Reader format (.lit) books, and to be honest I could rip the DRM out of them, but I'd prefer not to do so since it always seems to screw up the formatting.


    Thanks in advance

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    03-13-2009
    Posts
    13
    30 views, and no clues eh? *sighs*

    So, the only other thought I have since no one has a clue, is how can I roll back to Windows Mobile 6.0 since that is a supported OS, and I really do need access to my books.

    I don't text so I could care less about threaded SMS, and I can do the hack for SDHC on 6.0.

  3. #3
    Registered User MarineDawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    10-21-2007
    Location
    Maple Shade, NJ
    Posts
    95
    Quote Originally Posted by Morpheus Phreak View Post
    30 views, and no clues eh? *sighs*

    So, the only other thought I have since no one has a clue, is how can I roll back to Windows Mobile 6.0 since that is a supported OS, and I really do need access to my books.

    I don't text so I could care less about threaded SMS, and I can do the hack for SDHC on 6.0.
    Funny you should post that issue. I installed Reader two weeks ago and ran in to that scenario to which I don't have an answer sadly. I intially thought it maybe had something to do with installing the program to the SD card but haven't had the time to futz around with it (nor explore possible compatibility issues.) As you mentioned I find it had to believe the activation process would fail due to 6.1. Whilst all my ebooks were free I think when my work lod decreases I will see if I can get it going. I wonder how downgrading, installing to SD activating then upgrading would pan out. I can't seem to find what or where the activation file distributes itself during the final portion of the install, perhaps this is the key?

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    03-13-2009
    Posts
    13
    I actually did some more digging into it and it actually appears there was some sort of big change in 6.1 that broke Reader.

    I've chatted with the Reader team and they are actually working on it.

    So I'm actually waiting to here back on whether or not I'll get to test the new version.

    If I am allowed to though I won't be able to really comment on it



    Thanks for the reply though and Im sorry I didn't get back to ya sooner.

  5. #5
    Registered User MarineDawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    10-21-2007
    Location
    Maple Shade, NJ
    Posts
    95
    Quote Originally Posted by Morpheus Phreak View Post

    So I'm actually waiting to here back on whether or not I'll get to test the new version.

    If I am allowed to though I won't be able to really comment on it
    Does this include acknowledging that you're alpha/beta testing it? Don't keep us in the dark.

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    02-17-2009
    Posts
    342
    Until MS Reader runs on 6.1 you can convert your .lit files to .txt or .html then use another reader like mobipocket to read them.

    ConvertLIT Graphical User Interface

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    03-13-2009
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by MarineDawg View Post
    Does this include acknowledging that you're alpha/beta testing it? Don't keep us in the dark.
    Actually since I heard back from the team member asking me to provide info so I could potentially test the build I haven't heard anything.

    If I do start testing I won't really be able to provide any details.

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    03-13-2009
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by marioval View Post
    Until MS Reader runs on 6.1 you can convert your .lit files to .txt or .html then use another reader like mobipocket to read them.

    ConvertLIT Graphical User Interface
    Thanks....I'm starting to think that this may be my only option if I don't hear something soon.

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    08-09-2006
    Posts
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by Morpheus Phreak View Post

    I've chatted with the Reader team and they are actually working on it.
    They have been "working on it" since at least last September.

    Does Reader work with Windows Mobile 6.1? • Geekpedia

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts