+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Windows mobile 6.5 on SCH-i760

Has anyone been able to install windows mobile 6.5 on their SCH-i760? A tech hinted to me today that it is possible, but not supported. If anyone has done this and knows where to download it, please let me know.
    Thanks!

Talking Did he "hint" to you the same day you posted?

Or was it really wednesday (the 1st)?
    Kyo 6035, Kyo 7165, Sammy i730, i760, i730, HTC xv6800, i760
    Ita erat quando hic adveni

Question

I'm curious as well. I did find this link - look at the paragraph that starts "Upgrading to Windows Mobile 6.5" Marketplace Details

Processor speed works, but lacking the 128MB RAM right?
    Last edited by ZyaL8er; 04-13-2009 at 09:15 PM.

Bump. Any update?

The last I read, Windows Mobile was released but it will go to developers first then be released to cell phone companies sometime in the third quarter of 2009.

Bump. Has anyone heard anything new.... I hate to get rid of my 760 after all these years.......

Not sure, I would imagine someone would try it.

Alas, I'm not sure we have the "hackers" that we once did.

Wish it could be worked out - I'd gladly pay for the upgrade.

I'm pretty much going to stick with my i760 at least till my NE2 ($50 BAH!) and when VZW gets some Android phones with WiFi.
    Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur

Hey Luca!
    When you do that NE2 don't let them stick you with $50... They can do $100. I know I've done it with my wife's phone twice. Each time they offer me $50 I tell them (nicely) the deal was $100 when I got the phone 2years ago... they always find a way especially it will get you into another contract! VZW seems to always change the rules and I seem to have heard that regular phones are $50 and PDA phone are $100 'cause the are more expensive, but don't quote me on that.
    As to WM6.5, I remember reading early on that it was supposed to be a user upgrade... but who knows now!
    Mark

Mark
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

Yeah, they tried to pull that with my wife, but we got the $100 we were promised after MUCH ado. I think I bought my i760 after they started the $50 thing, but I'll double check that.

I wonder if the Omnia is built that different than the i760 that it is easier to get 6.5 on it. Or maybe we just need someone as skilled as the Omnia 6.5 Rom builder to get WM 6.5 on our i760.

Is anyone still working on this? I can't find any info anywhere.

Any news on this?

there wont be news until it is official realease, I dont think that has happened yet. we just have to wait

Quote Originally Posted by nahid569 View Post
    there wont be news until it is official realease, I dont think that has happened yet. we just have to wait
    I believe the release is out now... anyone able to download and try it? I'm curious as well (fellow i760 user)...

I don't think it will come from Samsung or Verizon.... I hope I am wrong! We can only hope that someone is able to create a 6.5 ROM for our i760.

To my knowledge, Verizon and Samsung will not be releasing an update for this phone. This would have to come from the community. I'd work on getting my phone to upgrade to 6.5 except right now it's my only phone, so I can't brick it.

Once I get a replacement, I'd be willing to test this, but outside of finding downloads for the development kit for 6.5, I can't find anything else.

I remember (or at least it was the general feeling around here) that we BARELY were graced with an official 6.1 upgrade. I'm sure they could do it, but they don't want to field the resulting Custom Service onslaught that would result.

I love the "Windows Update" icon in the Settings just teasing you. Like M$ every really intended to push out patches and updates OTA (I mean did they plan to do this and instead just said "screw it"?)

I'm still happy with my choice of the i760 over the HTC 6800, but the resources and community around the HTC devices does make one a bit jealous. HTC should really work at helping these guys (if they don't already) because it makes their hardware that much more desirable.

Quote Originally Posted by luca_bras1 View Post
    I'm still happy with my choice of the i760 over the HTC 6800, but the resources and community around the HTC devices does make one a bit jealous. HTC should really work at helping these guys (if they don't already) because it makes their hardware that much more desirable.
    I completely agree! I've been a bit jealous as well, but then I remember that I like the i760 hardware (especially the dialpad on the front!) Now if we could just get a good programmer/hacker who could help us get 6.5 that would be great!

Quote Originally Posted by eMpTy3000 View Post
    Now if we could just get a good programmer/hacker who could help us get 6.5 that would be great!
    Yeah I 2nd that!

Quote Originally Posted by luca_bras1 View Post
    I love the "Windows Update" icon in the Settings just teasing you. Like M$ every really intended to push out patches and updates OTA (I mean did they plan to do this and instead just said "screw it"?)
    Haa haa, agree 150%. Sometimes, for the hell of it, I'll run it with the hope of an update appearing on the phone (insert loud "FAIL" buzzer).

Maybe that's the key to having such a solid phone like the i760, NEVER upgrading it... lol