+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

i760 with Spb Mobile Shell 3

Does anyone have Spb Mobile Shell 3 installed on their i760? If so how did you enable the external dialpad on the i760?

My problem is that when I want to use the external dial pad I have to exit spb menu to the today screen. It seems like the external dial pad is disabled. Is there a setting or registry change I would need to make?

Thanks in advanced for your help...

I want a Touch Pro 2!
    Quote Originally Posted by dkennedy View Post
    Does anyone have Spb Mobile Shell 3 installed on their i760? If so how did you enable the external dialpad on the i760?

My problem is that when I want to use the external dial pad I have to exit spb menu to the today screen. It seems like the external dial pad is disabled. Is there a setting or registry change I would need to make?

Thanks in advanced for your help...
    I just hit the green send/talk button which launches the dialpad. I have 3 now and had 2 before and the behaviour was the same in both versions.

I tried the Mobile Shell 3 Trial. I found it to be a severe battery hog so I am staying with version 2. Anyone else experience this?
    Last edited by marioval; 04-28-2009 at 10:22 AM.

In my experience mobile shell 3 doesn't actually use up all the battery. But, when I took my phone off the charger after it was fully charge shell showed that it only had 70 percent battery life. But throughout the day I used it and it fluctuated between 70 and 85 don't know what it is about. But it didn't seem to use any more than normal.

I have it and it works great. My battery lasts the same as it did before.

My first install of MS3 was buggy as all can be. I uninstalled it then reinstalled it and it has been very stable and quick. Under the first install, it seemed to drain the battery but I do not have an issue after the uninstall/reinstall. Been running strong for 12 of the 15 trial days so I think its a keeper.

The new 3.0.1RC of SPB Mobile shell allows dialing from the home (NOW) screen.

So this works as long as the phone is slid open, but does not work with the phone closed. I have noticed that the keypad doesn't act as a number pad when the phone is closed in most applications. Is there a way to force it to always act as a number pad?

Also, the RC mentioned above has become the current release.

Thanks!

I just bought Shell 3 after using it for 4 or 5 days. No problems with it at all. Really polishes up the 760 nicely.

The thing that I found interesting was that up on Handango they said it was incompatible with the i760. Shhh .... don't tell my device and maybe it will keep working OK!

-Max
    Last edited by Max Peck; 06-12-2009 at 07:57 PM.
    General Aviation is not the stepchild of modern aviation, it is it's father.

There are some limitations, such as no hardware acceleration and less than ideal resolution. Also, it seems to take ~4 MB of memory when MS2 only took 1MB of memory. It does look a lot nicer and provides some important features, so I'm buying it as well.

Hmm, it seems that the external dialpad works, but it has to be held for a second before it will switch to the dialer.

I seem to be having difficulty syncing my Vista computer since installing version 3. It works and works, but never finishes, and I can see certain calendar items have definately not synced. Anybody else having trouble with this?
    CurtisZZZ

i just got the trial version of spb . OH MY GOD, with this being my first pda, i was blow away!!!! verizon would sell a lot more smarphones if people all knew what they could do with them!!! i had no idea, i got this phone for the keyboard and wifi.... you cant go back to a normal phone after owning one of these.

That's true, you can't. Sometimes I pick up the RAZR that I did use (and subsequently replaced my wife's ailing phone with). It was like looking at stone-age technology in comparison. I could never go back to text-messaging on the regular phone keypad.

-Max
    General Aviation is not the stepchild of modern aviation, it is it's father.

Well I just loaded MS3 last week and I must say I'm enamored with it... I wish it was more featured, as in more options for dsiplaying calendar categories etc. Better integration with my PIM (pocket Informant), but it does the job. Yeah it takes up a bunch of memory but if it makes things run better and allows me to not install other things for that functionality I'll keep it...
    So has anybody done any tweaking to it to make it work better with the i760? The only thing I can think of is that I configured one of my softkeys (with AEButton) to launch the task manager with a double press (instead of the one I was using).. And of course I rearranged all the widgets on the life style screens.. I've not yet started playing with skinning.
    Mark
    Last edited by MGuzzy; 06-29-2009 at 01:01 PM.
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

Quote Originally Posted by MGuzzy View Post
    Well I just loaded MS3 last week and I must say I'm enamored with it... I wish it was more featured, as in more options for dsiplaying calendar categories etc. Better integration with my PIM (pocket Informant), but it does the job. Yeah it takes up a bunch of memory but if it makes things run better and allows me to not install other things for that functionality I'll keep it...
    So has anybody done any tweaking to it to make it work better with the i760? The only thing I can think of is that I configured one of my softkeys (with AEButton) to launch the task manager with a double press (instead of the one I was using).. And of course I rearranged all the widgets on the life style screens.. I've not yet started playing with skinning.
    Mark
    MGuzzy - I've been using MS3 since it came out and I agree it's great - sometimes sluggish but so much better than other UI's I've tried. SPB has a seperate download to integrate PI now - go to the SPB site for it.

Also go to the XDA forum for lots of stuff. Try [UTIL] SPB Mobile Shell 3 [Tricks, Widgets, Themes, Other, FAQ] - xda-developers to start with...
    Palm100 > Compaq 3835 > Dell x50 > SCH-i760 > HTC Incredible

Thanks John.. I've found that thread on XDA and bookmarked it for when I have the time to start messing with it...
    I tried the PI plugin it just takes you to the PI app when you tap on the calendar. I kind of like the secondary Calendar Window that comes up in MS3. I was hoping for something that takes you to the PI appointment from that secondary screen.
    Another thing I miss is being able to start searching for a contact to call from the Winmo today screen. The MS3 home screen doesn't recognize it so I have to remember to hit the phone button first... one more keystroke is not so bad.
    Mark
    Mark

Is it better to install this on the device or the storage card?

whoops, guess there is no choice but to do it to the device.
    Last edited by DFA1; 07-05-2009 at 05:52 PM.

OK .. I've been messing with MS3 and MS2 on my phone and came to the conclusion that is just that...a shell. I was continually frustrated by what felt like missing features... and I didn't have the time to start fussing with xml layouts to make my own skins. I loaded a few other skins and found the one from jgjackson to be the most stable and useful. Here's a link:
    Spb Club :: View topic - [3.0.1 gold] Professional Widgets How To (all resolutions)

It adds a few more widgets and buttons to the Now screen and a whole bunch of widgets for the other screens... The only thing I have left on my stock "Today" screen is are plugins I need to have running in the background: spb phone suite for notifications and Phone Dashboard to track my minutes.
    My favorite feature is the invisible application shortcut. I can install a widget and overlay a link to another application. For example I have a link to a stop watch set to run if I tap on the clock instead of the stock appointments screen.
    Mark