+ Reply to Thread

Is there a way to get email on ANY cell phone without the data plan or Vcast?

Sooo... my wife has been texting her cute little thumbs off on her regular ol' cell phone. Plus, it's been "toddler-ized" over the past couple years so it's time for an upgrade. She'll (at the very least) be getting something with a QWERTY keyboard, but also asked me about the possibility of getting her emails on her phone, since she has both a personal and now a home business account on yahoo.

So, I called up Verizon, and asked what the damage would be. For her to get a blackberry or Windows Mobile device would involve us getting a second data plan to the tune of another $40-some-odd bucks a month. Going the v-cast route with email option "only" adds $25 a month. Ugh!

Anybody know of any services that will route email data to a phone's inbox using SMS? We have a txt plan already.

Thanks in advance,
    -Jon

Email to SMS is probably not a good idea just due to the size limit of text messages. Reading an email 160 characters at a time would be unbearable, especially if there was HTML markup in it.

You could use WiFi without a data plan as an alternative.
    Discussed here in several threads.

Yes, Wifi is our only weapon against insane data costs. Unfortunately, the number of handsets with Wifi is limited (and only on their most expensive options) and VZW is instituting a mandatory data plan policy (do I have this right? Not sure what the parameters were/are, but I remember talk of requiring a data plan with all new smart phone purchases)

If a data plan is mandatory with a new phone you may look at finding her a used and/or unlocked phone with Wifi?

My wife was using VZW's email sync (VCAST now?) a while back - shame they charge so much for this - it made moving her up to a Blackberry a no-brainer.
    Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur

NooB-ish
    I just got my i760 from VZW no data plan here... just use the WIFI and works nicely

Das Uber Tech Geek
    VZtext Website will do this.
    Sending will still me text but receiving can be email.

****@vztext.com