+ Reply to Thread

How to get Google Maps My Location working

I did a search, and it doesn't look like anyone else has mentioned this. Someone on the i770 forum pointed out a way to get the My Location function to work. It sounds simple, but all you need to do is turn on the wifi, but don't connect to any networks. If you're around at least a few wifi networks, it can triangulate your location. I just did it, and it works pretty well.

Pretty Good Member
    Seriously? That's very interesting. How does Google Maps know where any particular WiFi network is located if you don't first tell it where you are? As long as your in the vicinity of a lot of WiFi networks, does it work for tracking your progress? Even on long trips on the Interstate or highways, and you get totally lost in the middle of the night, as long as you could find a WiFi network, could you locate yourself on a map?

It works for certain WAPs which register their street address somehow. Like if you are near a Starbucks and you read it via Wifi G-Maps will put you near that Starbucks. My home's WAP does not work.

So do give it a go if you near commercial/retail locations with Wifi enabled.
    Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur

It works for me in my apartment building, with at least 20 different wifi networks within 50 yards. I haven't tried it on the go, but I bet if it worked at all, it would be very jumpy.

well thats great

wifi works great until it puts you somewhere in new york( I live in NC) because the isp uses some sort of proxy, or it puts you way across town where the isp servers might be at. the only way to make gps work is to buy a bluetooth gps unit, they are about 25-30 bucks on ebay or a 3rd party website now a days, thats wehre I bought mine, but you will figure out soon enough that g-maps sux as gps navigation.

what would you recommend for navigation on the i-760 then?

Last edited by marioval; 05-27-2009 at 06:04 AM.

I have CoPilot Live and it works well the few times I used it.
    -George