+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Considering getting rid of i760, what next?

I currently have the i760 and like it to a point. After the 6.1 upgrade, the phone is much more useful then before. It does everything I want at a satisfactory level or above. But I'm still thinking of getting something new and fresh. I really am fond of the new media phones like the iPhone. I want a nice screen for movies and something that surfs the internet well. I also love the new accelerometers in phones like the iPhone. I also purchased the wireless tethering from WMWiFiRouter, love it, and would like to keep it. Now I have Verizon so the iPhone is out, but does Verizon have something comparable? I was considering the Blackberry Storm but am cautious about leaving an open platform of WM 6.1 for something more restrictive with fewer programs. Any advice for someone wanting to go less "productive" and more "fun"?
    i760>BB Storm

HTC Touch Pro perhaps?

Yeah I did the Phone Scoop thing and that's what it recommended. Looking into it now.
    i760>BB Storm

Pretty Good Member
    Quote Originally Posted by batboy View Post
    I currently have the i760 and like it to a point. After the 6.1 upgrade, the phone is much more useful th[a]n before. It does everything I want at a satisfactory level or above. But I'm still thinking of getting something new and fresh. I really am fond of the new media phones like the iPhone. I want a nice screen for movies and something that surfs the internet well. I also love the new accelerometers in phones like the iPhone. I also purchased the wireless tethering from WMWiFiRouter, love it, and would like to keep it. Now I have Verizon so the iPhone is out, but does Verizon have something comparable? I was considering the Blackberry Storm but am cautious about leaving an open platform of WM 6.1 for something more restrictive with fewer programs. Any advice for someone wanting to go less "productive" and more "fun"?
    Here's my experience, switching from the 760 to the TP:
    Should I switch to Touch Pro from Sammy i760

The screen is much higher (4x) resolution (QVGA -> VGA) but it's still small (2.8"). It's also got GPS, Rev A, and more memory. You'll need a 2nd battery, but at least that's an option that doesn't exist with the iPhone. I loved my iPhone's large HVGA screen but it just wasn't yet ready for prime time as a work phone. It will be soon as they add copy/cut & paste. On-screen keyboard takes some getting used to.

If you want a bigger screen (3.6") on WM and a real keyboard, you could wait for the HTC Touch Pro2. I'm sure Verizon won't get it for quite some time. A Sprint rep told me they won't have it 'till November but I'm not sure how accurate that is. T-Mobile (and maybe AT&T) should have it sooner, maybe Junish.
    HTC - Products - HTC Touch Pro2 - Specification

The HTC Touch Diamond2 also looks very nice. No physical keyboard and a 3.2" screen and 5MP camera. Personally, I would have given the Touch Pro2 the 3.2" screen since it has a physical keyboard and is already on the large size and given the Diamond2 the larger 3.6" screen as the multimedia 'fun' phone. If I'm only going to have a touchscreen keyboard, I would probably want a larger screen, like the 3.5" iPhone. But this will definitely be stylish and smaller, which is also attractive.
    HTC - Products - HTC Touch Diamond2 - Specification

I too wouldn't bother with the BB Storm. Tested it out in a store for my BIL and it was slow. Software support is coming but nowhere near that of WM and iPhone.

Good info! Thanks dude! I really can't decide at this point. It's kind of frustrating since I usually have no problems making up my mind. I'm now leaning away from the Storm but with the BB bogo offer and my daughters birthday in a week it's hard not to take that offer. Geez!
    i760>BB Storm

Pretty Good Member
    Forgot to mention the Toshiba TG01 with a 4.1" WVGA screen. There's some nice videos floating around already. Later there should be a TG02, TG03, and some K-models with QWERTY keyboards. It's WM 6.5, but the Toshiba interface looks a little weird.
    Last edited by robrecht; 05-07-2009 at 03:39 PM.

That does look like a nice phone but unfortunately, it isn't available from Verizon (at least not yet) and I am committed to them. Nevertheless, I'm gonna keep that one on my watch list.
    i760>BB Storm

Want a Verizon iPhone? Get an itouch and a MiFi! Put Skype or a similar app on your iTouch for calls. Get a free no nonesense small Verizon phone if you wish for receiving calls.

I have skype on my little Asus laptop. The goal was to get a world phone. I like Verizon's service here in the states, but would also like the versatility and convenience when traveling over seas.

I went with the Storm. It seemed to offer the most features. After using it for a few days and traveling once with it, the only two things I miss from the i760 are the WiFi with WMWiFiRouter and the qwerty keyboard. The keyboard I can get over but I sure wish I had the wifi and free tethering. It sure made life a lot simpler (and cheaper) when traveling. Now I'll just have to pay for internet wifi or surf on the phone (which is a lot better than the i760).
    i760>BB Storm

Maybe the Pink Zune Phone

Tons of rumors of a Zune Phone code named Pink. It seems to be based on WinMo6.5 too.
    Palm100 > Compaq 3835 > Dell x50 > SCH-i760 > HTC Incredible

I'm a total loser and I've been banned!!!
    maybe try the Omnia. I moved from the i760 to the Omnia 2 months ago. The omnia takes a little getting used to of course but once you have it loaded and configured the way you want it, IMO it blows away the i760 when it comes to FUN.

One of the biggest problems I had with the Omnia was the on screen keyboard. Coming from the i760 made getting used to OSK a rather difficult task. SPB FullScreenKeyboard fixed that problem real quick.

I tried all the other higher end Verizon phones and none of them compare to the Omnia for business or "fun" usage.

BTW im running the leaked Rom enabling GPS and the slim down Rom.

I have the omnia as well with the leaked rom. I love it, but don't get me wrong took a lot of getting use to. I use spb mobile shell 3 and highly reccomend it.

Next to the iphone the omnia kicks! If they put the iphone touch screen on the omnia, then it would be jsut as good as the iphone. With the omina screen, you need to use the edge of a fingernail if you dont want to use the stlyus. I only used the stylus for about a week.

Pretty Good Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jaycarl View Post
    I tried all the other higher end Verizon phones and none of them compare to the Omnia for business or "fun" usage.
    Don't confuse a wider or larger screen with higher resolution. WQVGA is just as poor in terms of image quality as QVGA, which was quite a step down for many of us who went with the albeit converged i760 from something like an x50v. As much as I loved my good ol' Sammy, I was never ever happy with the poor resolution of all those horrid 2.8" QVGA screens that WinMo phones used forever. Thank God that's come to an end and soon we'll have larger, higher resolution screens. I'm glad you like your Omnia, seriously, but there was no way I was gonna buy another low res screen and be stuck with it for 2 more years. VGA is overkill on a 2.8" screen but QVGA and WQVGA was just not good enough, especially in the iPhone 3.5" HVGA world. WVGA on the 3.2" Diamond2 and 3.6" Pro2 is going to be killer.

Pretty Good Member
    Quote Originally Posted by robrecht View Post
    If you want a bigger screen (3.6") on WM and a real keyboard, you could wait for the HTC Touch Pro2. I'm sure Verizon won't get it for quite some time. A Sprint rep told me they won't have it 'till November but I'm not sure how accurate that is. T-Mobile (and maybe AT&T) should have it sooner, maybe Junish.
    HTC - Products - HTC Touch Pro2 - Specification
    This guy says Junish for Sprint:
    New Phone Update/ TP2 & Snap - SprintUsers.com

NE2 right around the corner for me...

Any way we can get this topic recirculated? I would love to hear what people are thinking about next.

Leaning toward waiting for the TP2, but that doesn't look close.

Omnia had me hooked for a while, but I dunno.

Want...

WIFI
    GPS
    FM radio
    winmo (too many paid for programs to do otherwise)
    I like the slider (but would try the touchscreen keyboard if forced to)

I may add to this list if anyone suggests what they want to.
    CurtisZZZ

Went with the iTouch with Mifi (basically a Verizon iPhone), and have an Alias 2 for backup. Couldn't be happier, and everyone who sees it wants a Mifi.....

Those mifi thingies are the first thing that would get me to consider doing a data plan outside a phone. If only they weren't capped so low.

I must say it is nice to know that VZW will get the Pre. Also new Android phone from Sammy looks great but no KB! A couple other Android options from Moto look interesting coming to VZW. Will they cripple them? . . . I will wait to see.

Where did you read about VZW getting the PRE? Do you know when? Id love to upgrade to that phone from my 760.
    -George

I think I'm going to eye the Pre as well. I just can't get on board with touch screen keyboards for serious email use. Tried the Storm, didn't love it. GOD I wish the Samsung i760 was a world phone.......

Any new world phones on schedule for Verizon?

Am I the only one that fell in love with the combo of a hardware KB and separate hardware dialpad with a good healthy dose of an open platform where I could install all sorts of goodies not to mention customize the OS to the hilt?

I don't see anything to switch to. The only thing that is garnering my interest is the Palm pre. It's got a very malleable Linux OS... forgive me. I need it on VZW though... sprint gives me the hurly whirlies...(best description I could come up with on short notice)

Have a wonderful day!