+ Reply to Thread

i760 stuck on "clearing data..." screen

My i760 apparently dumped the operating system. Every time I turn it on, it goes to a white screen and says, "clearing data..." at the bottom. It hangs there and never does anything. Once it gets to this screen, it won't let me turn it off and I have to take out the battery.

I've tried both a hard reset and soft reset (about 100 times) but nothing works. I turned it on and connected it to my computer, hoping I could establish a connection and perhaps install the software again, but it connects and then disconnects immediately.

This phone is not under warranty, or even close, so I need to either find a solution or sell it for parts. Anyone?

My phone started doing the same thing last night? Anyone with a solution?!?

Just got back from the Verizon store. The solution? An Omnia.

I'm a total loser and I've been banned!!!
    lol...nice. See you in the Omnia forum.

That problem sounds bad, replacement probably is the only option.

I've been a PDA user for about ten years, with my most recent being the Axim x51v. My Axim completely dumped the software during an upgrade and I found myself in a similar pickle. However, Axim users developed a way to load new software onto the device and recover. This makes sense because the manufacturer is able to load software initially at the factory, so why not at home?

Long story short, I've searched high and low and nobody knows how to do it on the i760. Perhaps there just aren't enough advanced users or maybe there's just not enough interest. It seems most users are willing to turn in for an upgrade (if under warranty) or just use it as an excuse to buy a new device.

Looks like I'll be selling this one for parts.

The guy at the Verizon store told me they could only recover a phone that would boot far enough for it to talk to a computer. Since my phone hung before that was an option they told me it was unfixible. They gave me the option of getting a refurbished i760 for $50 and it would take 2 days, or use my NE2 and get something else. Since my cell is my only phone, being without it for 2 days was not an option. After 24 hours with the Omnia, it may be hitting ebay and getting replaced with an ebayed i760. The bigger screen on the Omnia is nice, but it seems to be a bit quirky. Websites aren't panning like I expect and I really miss the hardware d-pad. I'm going to give it a week to see if I can fix or learn to live with the differences then decide to keep or sell.

What do we do when our operating system crashes on a computer? Do we send it back to the manufacturer or exchange it for a new one? No! We load an installation disc, it boots to it, installs the initial software and we're back to square one. The excuse that they can only load an operating system when communicating with another computer is technological laziness!

Verizon apparently feels it's easier to replace a device than to provide a simple operating system install via an SD card. Now I understand why a lot of people prefer keeping their phone and PDA as two separate devices.